Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NEW RECIPE CLUB STARTED - Updated Info (as of 01/07/06)!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Berlyn,

The way everyone talks about food on this site, it doesn't look like calories are the first concern....however someone did mention weight watchers in a thread!

Treatmaker

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, I put a link on the Convention site for recipes. Just go to the Home Page:

[url="http://www.chambersvirtualconvention.com"]http://www.chambersvirtualconvention.com[/url]

then click on the red link for "Chambers Recipes".

If anyone has any others for me to list, please e-mail them to me via the link on the "Chambers Recipes" page.

Thanks!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Berlyn, that French Toast sounds astounding! Thanks for the hint on the nutmeg. I always hate spice floaters in the batter, but have never been able to get them incorporated.

As for the diet... I'm in denial.

The last time I started feeling like weight was becoming an issue, I used it as one of the many reasons to rationalize hiking another 5-6 months!! Just thinking about the Trail makes me want to go again. Every spring, some hikers get "Springer Fever" or "Campo Fever" and I have both already.

It's only January 3rd, so I'm in trouble.

(Springer Mountain is the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail, and Campo is a tiny town near the beginning of the Pacific Crest Trail, southeast of San Diego.)

Having my stove to work on soon will be good therapy.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey, Chipper - I didn't know you were familiar with the PCT, being on the East coast and all. Are you per chance familiar with the PCT thru the Onxy Peak area of Big Bear?? We have property right above the PCT. In fact, we have to drive our Jeep for about 1 mile on the PCT to get to our property since that's the only access (and it's a tough road, 4-wheel required.) If you're familiar with that stretch, have you ever heard the lion roar there? Believe it or not, there's a wild animal preserve right there near the main road. Although they're considered "wild", it should be called a "Movie Star Preserve" since The lions there played in Gladiator and the bear "star(s)" were in Dr. Doolittle II. We have always wondered what the poor hikers thought as they were making their way thru this stretch and heard lions - we wondered how many died from heart failure. I would imagine that hearing a lion roar (these are BIG lions!!) while in the wilderness could be a bit disconcerting. :-)

t.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tura, I know the lion the tiger AND the Bear(s) - Oh my! There was no tiger there, actually, but there were quite a few other critters. I felt pretty bad for the them, though. Small cages, lots of pacing behavior. They looked healthy enough, but their enclosures were not what they could be.

My husband and I have hiked the whole PCT - Mexican border on into Canade. It was an amazing adventure. It was supposed to be a thruhike, but a family emergency pulled us out of the country for almost a month in the middle of the hike in '04, so we ended up with a missed stretch in northern CA. The only good thing was that it gave us a reason to go back out to the mountains for a few weeks in '05 to finish up.

I thought you'd be familiar with the Trail, given where you live, but had no idea you'd be quite that familiar with it! Have you ever gone out hiking on that stretch? It's quite nice. How is the lake in Big Bear these days? It was pretty dry in '04.

-Jenn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, Jenn, you ARE a serious hiker!! Only Super Hikers do the whole PCT, and rarely further north than Yosemite (so I'm told, anyway.)

Nope, I haven't actually hiked too much. I trained a SAR (Search-and-Rescue) dog for the last 2 years and got some exercise that way (running after a young Trailing Dog that's part hound is like holding onto a speeding locomotive), but recently gave it up due to time constraints. It's kind of ironic because my dog has finally settled down enough at age 3 to actually do the work. :-( Oh, well.

We should probably make more time for fun things like hiking since with all these recipes, I'm going to need to take up something once my stove is installed!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, we're kind of excessive in our hiking. We also did the Appalachian Trail in'02. I really want to do more long hikes (Continental Divide, anyone?, but we're going to try to stay put for a while.

Intensive stove therapy will definitely be required... That and our YMCA membership, to fight off the results of all these wonderful recipes.

I'm going to pick up my stove and replacement backsplash on Friday. Treatmaker checked it out and gave me the green light! Can't wait.

-Jenn

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234