Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hi txnative, this is a great site full of wonderful people with incredible experience, insight, resources and knowledge. i'm still a newbie here, just a member for a few months but, without this site and the guidance from members, my Chambers purchase probably never would have happened ! there is one thing however....berlyn, are you listening....?... seems like texas has cornered the Chambers market !!! how come so many texans are in love with Chambers ??? you guys were way ahead of the curve !!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

asfan,
    Yes I'm listening!! We are a [b]BIG[/b] state with lots and lots of smart people, with a few exceptions.
    I remember when I joined, we had just a few members. It's wonderful too see it expand and see such a wealth of knowledge, sources, growth of members and love for these ol' Chambers!!

But now ya'll know why, I only keep the pilot on for the T-well and not the top burners. It's hot here!! In south Texas we have 2 seasons, summer and super hot summer!! We have heat issues down here!!

I'm trying Ms. V's Irish Oatmeal and getting it in the T-well ready for the AM. I'm going to serve with mandarin oranges on the side for Grandson and I.

Berlyn

<font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ January 06, 2006 10:37 PM: Message edited by: berlyn ]</font></font>

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ January 06, 2006 10:38 PM: Message edited by: berlyn ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I finally went to Dallas and picked up my 100. dollar Freedom Red Chambers. Sitting in someone's garage for a very long time, but it was mostly just dirty and not a lot of grease. THANK GOODNESS. It needs a few parts but overall she is really pretty. My Aunt Ruby had a yellow Chambers that my Mom cooked on when she was growing up.. so maybe I will call my "new" stove Aunt Ruby..cuz that's how I found out about Chambers stoves. AND thanks to that guy in DAllas who didn't know what he had!!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Kim,

Congrats on your red chambers. Ms Ruby is a perfect name! Hope to see a lot of you on the site.

Treatmaker

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

More Texas Chambers lovers lore - I was chatting with my next door neighbor over the Christmas holiday. She is in her 70's and a very elegant lady in the old Southern tradition. Found out she used to own a Chambers stove as well but she thought she ought to get herself something "more modern". She was very excited when she found out we were restoring one, and says she regrets ever selling hers. Her new stove never measured up to the Chambers.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a copper C model. I inherited it from my grandmother, and she had it when I was born so I grew up with it. I have many happy memories of my grandmother all around this stove, as she taught my sister and I to bake and we had a lot of Saturday afternoon bread baking sessions with our stove! Most family holiday dinners were prepared on our stove, but I have to admit I have no memory specifically of cooking with the heat off. It may have happened, I just don't recall discussing this feature. I hope to find some more of the accessories. We have at least the soup pot for the well, but I would love to have a thermobaker. There may be more accessories, but the stove has been wrapped and in storage since my father moved out of Gram's house, as the place we now live in has electric (yuck), and it is wrapped up to prevent chipping. I hope to get cooking again soon. It's great that these stove's are getting recognized, as I was getting pretty sick of people who rave about vintage stove's saying "Chambers? Never heard of it, I've got a Wedgewood."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not that there is anything WRONG with a Wedgewood...it just ISN'T a Chambers and will never growup to be one !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello,

My wife was the one that wanted a Vintage stove to replace clunker. She too likes Rachel Ray and was intrigued by her's. When she asked if I would buy her one and I said, "sure honey.... whatever you want".... I never dreamed that she would actually find one....

The next day she shows me these websites with fully restored stoves.... I said for that price, I would rather buy land... LOL!!

Than she starts finding eBay stoves but they are in exotic places like California and New York.... I live in St. Louis so going to get them is out of the question... Pretty soon she finds one in Kansas City.... since we travel through there on our way to Wichita, Kansas, I couldn't convince her it was too far away...

We went over and picked up our Chambers over the weekend, rented a trailer and brought her home. Stoveman tells me that she is a 1947 Model B... I found this website and started to read and learn... I scoured over Berlyn's pictures and also Lowracer's.

While I am waiting on the New Owner's Kit/Service Manual/Cookbook, I started the frame off restoration. Now if I can figure out how to get the top off, I will be sending it to Wichita for Chrome....

In the meantime, we decided to name our little project "Addie" after my wife's grandmother... When she lived with us she used to completely dissassemble my range about once a month.... since she had early alsheimer's she couldn't remember how to put it back together... I would come in and find it in pieces in the kitchen...

We used to laugh and wonder why Grandma was so intent on cleaning our oven.... When we started cleaning our Chambers, we figured out what 60 years of grease and grime looked like... Addie seemed to be appropriate....

Oh well, enough rambling... I am looking forward to the day that we can start using this... and I thank God that Rachel Ray doesn't drive a Rolls Royce.... eh?

Dennis and Terri

pete244874

My father remarried after my Mom passed and when I went to visit their home, I spotted this old stove in her contemporary kitchen. She told me that her mom at gotten it over 40 years ago from a neighbor and had prepared many a meal for the family on it. That day my Dad and his wife were roasting a lamb, had all kinds of things cooking on the old Chambers. The name "Chambers" stuck because my own Mom's maiden name was Chambers! (It originally was a Greek name but was changed to Chambers when they came over to Ellis Island) I felt some odd connection to the stove at that point. In December 2005, Pete (who loves cast iron and old stuff in all forms) met the stove after hearing me babble about it all the time said...WE MUST HAVE ONE OF THOSE! In January 2006 he found one on ebay and the story continues...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We were looking to buy a house, and one of the first places we seriously considered had an old gas stove (a tappan i think).

We didn't end up buying that house, but it really got me thinking about antique stoves, so i started looking around to see what there was. I really like the 50's aesthetic in general, and spent hours on antiquegasstoves.com.

I really liked the western holly's with the porthole oven, but living in northern california, i never saw one anywhere near here. All of them were in LA it seemed. I then started looking at wedgewood and o'keefe and merritt stoves, and also at chambers. There were lots of OKM's around, but i was picky about which models i wanted. With chambers, there are really only a couple ways it can look, but with the other ones, there are probably 15 or 20 models between them, each slightly different.

At any rate, i started to swing towards chambers stoves, i am something of an efficiency nut, and the idea of 'cooking with the gas off' was nice, and i really like the concept of the thermowell. Plus the interesting knobs and broiler! I was sold.

And how i got this particular one:

My roommate was moving to San Francisco, and he never paid me for the uhaul from when we moved into the place where we were at the time.. Co-incidentally, i found a chambers for sale in a SF basement. The only drawback was that it was a B model, and i really wanted a 'C'. But it was cheap ($100) and i hadn't seen any other chambers in the area, so i said i'd come see.

So we moved him up there, and on the way back we picked up the stove. It was quite an ordeal getting it out of the basement with 3 men. These things are HEAVY! I almost gave up, but i had already paid the man, and i don't think he would have reimbursed me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-tmk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast