Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

When my husband and I were first married in 1997, we rented a funky apartment in the main floor of an old house near the square in Fayetteville, Arkansas. We had two bedrooms, one bath, and the original living areas and kitchen.

In that kitchen was a copper Chambers. It was blackened with grime and grease, but it worked perfectly. After some initial fear of the thing (having to light it with a lighter was scary), we absolutely adored it. We used the griddle for breakfasts and bought a soup pot that somewhat fit the well and enjoyed keeping soup or cider warm all day, but that was the extent of our knowledge of its special properties. (If the broiler was working, we never figured out how to use it).

My husband became a restaurant kitchen manager for a while, and we have continued our love of cooking since-- and we've often talked about how great that old stove was.

We didn't remember what it was called until I saw Rachel Ray using one just a few months ago. AUUGH! Our stove! I ran to the computer, found this site, and began happily lusting for one of our own. I think we're getting close!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My husband and I recently purchased a home built in 1926 in South Jersey. The woman who sold us the house is 98 years old and she and husband were the only owners the home ever had. Her husband, who passed away about 12 years ago, I'm told, carried her across the threshold of that house in 1926 and they lived there ever since.
    I had seen an old white stove in the basement when we looked at the house and commented to my husband that I had hoped they would leave it b/c I thought it was cool and I thought maybe someday we could do something with it. When we were getting close to settlement, her daughter, acting as POA, asked me how I felt about them leaving this old stove in the basement. She said it was still hooked up and her Mom had been using it as a summer kitchen up until recently and she just didn't know how they would ever get it out of there. So, we said sure and they did.
    Now, we had been trying to do some research, but having many other things to do on the home (we've only been there 3 months) meant this is not a priority. My husband actually wanted to sell it, but I kept telling him we should just wait a while. He wasn't too eager to try to find a way to get it out of the basement, so he waited.
    Today, finally, I find this site. Now, I can go home and figure out which model I have (I think it's an A) and take a closer look. The metal range cover is rusted and I am very open to suggestions on the best way to clean it up. I don't know how the rest of the condition is, but we'll see as we go along. It's pretty clean. I've looked inside the oven itself and that looks fine. We can't afford to hire anyone to restore it, so I'll probably be trying to take that on myself if I can get more information.
    Anyway...looks like a fun group here. You've all gotten me very excited that we kept the stove and I am dying to get it into the kitchen to replace the outdated electric oven that's there.
    And her name? Thelma. That's the woman she spent the most time with.
    Thanks again,
    Jurzeygirl

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Up until a month ago I'd never really known much about Chambers stoves. Then my friend was having an estate sale for her dad's home and asked me if I was looking for a good stove. In her parent's basement was a functioning BZ. WHen I first saw it I was at once and forever taken with this stove. I've always wanted a commertial level stove in my home. Something that could put out a respectable BTU. But when I got a look at those daisy burners I'd realized, as Etta James sings, "My love had come along". Then I did some web based research, bumped into this group and Todd's site and then understood what had actually fallen into my lap. I'm an elementary reading teacher but way back in the last century I baked professionally. I was a croissantier. I know, big title for a cressent roll-roller. When I saw how this oven is insulated my eyes rolled back into my head. My BZ is in working condition and quite clean. I should have it broken down, cleaned and rebuilt then professionally checked for leaks and callibrated within the year, if the fates allow. Then I'm gonne bake myself into a stupor. So, my story of how I became aware of Chambers stoves read like most other good things that came into my life; dumb luck.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[quote]Originally posted by treatmaker:
    [b]Hey guys,

I don't know if this was ever a topic and if it was sorry to repeat. I'm just curious on how all of us got hooked on Chambers stoves, how you found out about them.

I first knew about them 20 years ago. My mom had a friend who owned one and always raved about it. When my mom saw the stove she told me all about it. You see, I loved to cook and bake and started in my pre-teen years and could spend hours in the kitchenware department looking at all the gadgets. So my mom's description of that stove was shelved in my memory and when I finally had my own home the hunt began....[/b][/quote]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Chambers stove have been in my life since I can remember. My parents lived with my grandparents during the 50s. My grandmother owned a "B" model and I can still taste the seafood gumbo that she made it the thermo oven. When my parents moved into their own house, my Mom bought a new model of Chambers stove. This would have been in the mid to late 60s. My mom has since passed and I now live with my father in his house. The Chambers stove is still working with the exception of the oven. The knob to the oven recently broke off in my hand (luckily in the "off" position) and I am now trying to find someone that can repair it. I live in Chicago so if anyone knows of a good person or shop, let me know. If you would like to see the stove, email me.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I fell in love with a model A in the 1980's at the stardust flea market. The guy told me it was a 1927 model and I just HAD to have it, because that's the year my home was built. I knew it would look so much better than harvest gold unit that came with the house. Unfortunately, I didn't have the 450.00 he was aking for it, so I hoped I would find another one later on.
    I think it was in the mid 90's that I ran across another model A at the Mission flea market. (the Stardust had burned to the ground by then) I gave the guy all the money I had to hold it. And went back for my truck and the rest of the cash. We slid it from the back of his truck to mine, and right on to my front porch and into the house, so I never really realised that it wieghs over 400 pounds. I gave it a good cleaning, and hooked it up. Other than the pilot light, and the missing cloisonne thumblatches, it worked perfectly.
    The first thing I ever cooked in it was a rack of ribs, but apparently some of the easy off oven cleaner residue fouled the taste. I was so happy, I didn't even notice. The guys I worked with at the time, tried some, and thought it was horrid, and of course, still tease me about it to this day.
    I really don't cook a lot, so It heats the water for my tea. And sometimes I use it to bake on paint for small parts for my other projects.

Recently, I have began to search EBAY for some of the small parts that were missing, and at some point ordered a value pack of reprinted Chambers literature. This was my first introduction to cooking with the gas off. Until then, I had no clue what I have.

I really bought it for it's style, but now, I've been charmed by it's economy, and the way it cooks. My kitchen is not air conditioned. So I appreciate being able to turn it off and still cook. I also like the fact that as well as keeping in the heat, it keeps in the moisture, so food doesn't get dry. I have no desire to own anything else.
    Now I'm keeping an eye out for another to install in my garage apartment which was built in 1933, so I guess it could even be a model B.
    It hadn't ocurred to me to give a name to my Chambers until I found this site. I think Marilyn has a nice ring to it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My Dad owned an antique company since I was a little little girl, and I grew up with myriad hulking objects in our home and in the kitchen. At one point we even owned a full-size deli slicer...Thanksgiving turkey-run for your life! So as an adult I am drawn to all things antique, old, and unusual. So, when my husband and I started talking about renovating the kitchen in our 1920s home, I knew I wanted to make the kitchen vintage in every way I could. I was watching HGTV and a segment on Lydia Shire (famous Boston chef, I am from Boston) came up and showed her new kitchen with this fantastic red stove and I immediately thought THAT is the stove that belongs in my kitchen! Went crazy hunting on the Internet to find out what it was and came up with a Chambers. I was disgusted to find out Rachel Ray has one, as I personally find her about as pleasurable as a sock full of boiling bacon grease. SO, I finally hunted one down that seemed good (but now am stressing over rust and safety with two babies under 2.5!) and am in love with it, even though it is sitting in the corner of my kitchen, on an old quilt. We haven't even ordered the cabinets yet, which is great b/c we can really make the stove the focal point! I am naming it Matilda, a pet name my Mom and Grandma Tillie had for me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345