Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Couldn't find the place on the Virtual Convention Center ...so

Preheat thermowell 5 min.
    1 c. biscuit mix
    1/3 c. milk
    (which equals ? of recipe on biscuit box)
    pat into 3 round shapes= 2 medium plus 1 slightly larger, used some left over mix to coat hands. Don't handle too much or will be tough.

place on Pam sprayed 8 in. pie plate, one that fits in thermobaker.
    Bake approx. 10min. or until starting to turn golden, edges golden.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The biscuit recipe on page 24 in the Chambers Idle Hour Cook Book [delicate lady hand with watch & ring version] makes a killer biscuit. Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa says to use pure whipping cream for an even better biscuit. I've made these in the Thermowell, on a dinner plate set upon an overturned stainless bowl with amazing results. Tomorrow the Thermobaker arrives !!! Will I ever leave the house again ???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ha,

If I had my way I would never leave the house again and just cook away! I'm going to make the biscuits tonight. I've got a leftover smoked ham bone which I'll put in the large pot cover it with collard greens, some chopped garlic and sliced onions, add a can of low salt chicken broth and then add 2 cans of white beans, pepper and let it cook in the thermowell. I just follow the cooking chart for veggies. I do sautee the onions and garlic before. I usually serve this with yucca. I'm a big veggie fan so this is very satisfying to me. Biscuits or cornbread will be a good fit for this.

Treatmaker

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK, Treatmaker, tell me about "serving this with yucca," please. The only yucca I am familiar with is a sharp, pointy plant in the desert. A painful, but pretty plant.

Anyway, what is it, where do you get it, and how do you prepare it? Of course, central NY is not exactly the hot spot for unusual foods, but I might be able to find it at Wegmans. I'm always game to try something new.

The greens sound really good, by the way.

-Jenn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ha,

You're correct it is also called cassava. I love it. It's also used in Thai and Jamaican cooking. I'm going to search the web for some interesting recipes.

Treatmaker

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a new, yet untried recipe for Brazillain Pao de Queijo or Cheese Bread. These little breads are ubiquitous on the streets of Rio ... just one taste and you'll know why ! The thing is, they need to be eaten right out of the oven, they have a shelf life of about snowflake. I'll be making my first batch this weekend and if the recipe is good, I'll share it with all.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Man Oh Man! I can't wait for ichef to get up and running. I'm going to cook all day and eat all night! All these things everyone is talking about sound so good.
    I am wondering though if manioc (aka yucca) is a regional food? I've never seen it in the grocery store. Or maybe I just haven't noticed.
    annnt (soon to be elephannnt)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In Latin stores you'll find Yucca and Manioc...in other stores you'll find it as Tapioca powder. When used as a flour for baking, it gives you an unbelievably light bread...Alton Brown just said that most people stay within a 100 food range....althoughthere are thousands of food items to choose from, we tend to stick with what we know...so, here is our opportunity to expand our waistlines, I mean food horizons.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jenn,

Yucca is a root. It's used in spanish and asian cooking

It has a potatoe like consistancy. It is long and tubular in shape with a dark brown waxy skin. The flesh is white like potato. I boil it in lightly salted water or with some chicken stock. After it's cooked some people do fry it. Has a very mild taste and easily adapts to many flavor.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yucca, correct me if I wrong....is also known as Manioc, a staple in Brazillian cooking....when dried, roasted and buttered it is called Farofa used as a topping for meats and beans. Also, sometimes sold as Tapioca...Red Mill [brand] Tapicoa powder is Manioc root which is Yucca...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast