Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Ya'll

Building and installing an oven standing pilot and safety valve is someting that a "handy" person can do. I have started this thread to share some of my experience on oven safeties. I will be adding more information as I get time. Right now I am very busy with other businesses, but I get on the computer to relax and will start building this information thread. The first option is to use the original system that Chambers used. Here are the parts needed.

(1) The original Chambers System:

Parts: Safety Valve- Robertshaw Model TS-11, Type C. These are sometimes available as Robertshaw or Uni-Line #1720-00X (X determines the size of fittings)

Parts: Pilot Assembly- Robertshaw Pilot #10 These are sometimes available as Robertshaw # 1880-100

Parts: Thermocouple These were originally made by Robertshaw, but you can find many Universal thermocouples that replace the Robertshaw.

Parts: Misc brass couplings, fittings and tubing...These are available at your local hardware store..

This is all you need, now get out on the internet and start searching and see if you can find these parts. Don't buy them yet, I might be able to get a better price!

I'll be back in a few hours to add more information on the basic Chambers System. See Ya later, Sam

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Sam! Eagerly waiting for more info... I'm ready to put this together for my Ida.

Gwen

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sam,

Would this safety system work for a model B or C ???

Berlyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, this Safety System will apply to the Model C or B or A or any vintage gas range. I have started this discussion with the Original Chambers System that was a feature on the model C ranges in its early years. I am discribing the parts needed to replicate the Original system. All the Original parts are Available to build your own system for your stove or any vintage range.

For a drawing of the original parts, refer to the Model C service manual, page 3 bottom.

After we finish the discussion on the Original Chambers System (1), I will move to System (2), which is a safety system using available, current parts replacing the Original parts that are getting hard to find. More to follow shortly. Regards, Sam

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Darn, I have the service manual for the B/BZ!! [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Already behind on the lesson!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Original Chambers Safety System (1).

Ok, Here is how to Skin this Cat, and find the parts cheaper. Instead of purchasing the 1720 safety as a "unit" (#1720-00X), Buy the separate parts and assemble them yourself. We Wiil need the #1710 at the top of the catalog page and the #1720 at the bottom of the catalog page. That is, buy the #11 body and mount the Magnet head on it yourself. Both of these separate parts come on Ebay often and at reasonable prices. Search Ebay and see what you find. More later....

lowracer

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ March 09, 2006 10:53 PM: Message edited by: lowracer ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, Original Chambers Safety system. Major and most expensive part is the Safety Valve. Here is a page from the Robertshaw Catalog. We will need the #1720 in the middle of the page. Any of the part 1720-00X will work except 1720-006...

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/74393054@N00/85107842/"][img]http://static.flickr.com/39/85107842_36eac01ea8_b.jpg[/img][/url]

Priced at Retail $150-$200. But don't worry, we can get them cheaper. AND, There are other ways to shin this cat!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, I started at the wrong place. I'm gona back up and discribe the safety system before and after:

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/74393054@N00/85330228/"][img]http://static.flickr.com/39/85330228_955341e481.jpg[/img][/url]

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/74393054@N00/85330229/"][img]http://static.flickr.com/41/85330229_453d3ee5ca.jpg[/img][/url]

Refering to these diagrams, you can see that the oven safety system is very simple. Here's what Chambers did to add a safety. They mounted the Robertshaw #1720-003 safety valve under the shelf in the serviceman's cabinet using an L shaped bracket,two spacers and 4 metal screws. Then they replumbed the Burner tube from the Thermostat to the Oven Burner with a few feet of 3/8" aluminium tubing and some compression fittings. Then they disconnected the oven pilot tube from the Thermostat and plugged the hole in the Thermostat. Then they ran a new pilot tube from the Gas Manifold to the input side of the Safety Valve Magnet head. They removed the original oven pilot and replaced it with a Robertshaw #1880-100 Pilot. They then connected the Output of the Safety Magnet to the new Oven Pilot with aluminium tubing.The last thing done was to connect the Robertshaw Thermocouple to the Oven Pilot and the Safety Magnet Head. How simple, three new parts and some tubing.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, I did some internet searches. I found the 1720-007 complete safety valve for 96.32 at Patriot Supply. This part is the most expensive part needed to build the Original Chambers Oven Safety System. Seems a long way from the 400 bucks some folks Charge, but we're got a few more parts to price. Be patient, I'm gona get this done.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast