Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Robbiquest,

The chicken bucket is intruiging me, can you give me a little more info on how it works? The pressure cooker thing scares me a little.

Treatmaker

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is it like an at home broaster ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone have any idea what material can be used to fabricate a new gasket for a Wear-Ever chicken bucket? If you're not sure what one looks like, cut & paste Wear-Ever chicken bucket into the search function on Ebay. There's also more information about them on another post on this board called "fried chicken - not" from 30 January 2006. These pots do wonders for chicken; not a bit greasy and juicy like you can't believe. The skin also takes on a very, very tasty and crispy aspect. I've been searching for one at yard and estate sales for a year or two. I'm just not willing to pay upwards of sixty dollars for one on Ebay. I've emailed the Wear-Ever folks and they said to check with my local hardware store to see what can be used for a new gasket. I guess they want to distance themselves up front from any potential lawsuits. And the danger element, I agree, should be taken well into consideration. I don't want to find myself at the Alleghenny General emergency room covered with third degree burns from pressurized boiling hot oil & peckered from head to foot with aluminum schrapnel. So if anyone is well versed in the fascinating world of heat resistant gaskets and has an idea what might work in a food service environment, please post with the info.

p.s. Yes Ha, its sort of like broasted chicken, but way, way better. Don't deny yourself this taste experience.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have the smaller one, the 4qt. size. I really like it. I make KFC-style chicken in it, and also deep-fried Coconut Shrimp (which is heavenly - comes out just right.)

I read all the dire warnings too that people posted about pressure cookers. I was so freaked out about it that the first time I used mine I made my dog stay in the other side of the house in case the durned thing exploded! But, I followed the directions and everything was fine (isn't it ALWAYS that way?) As long as you're alert and don't forget that you have something cooking (which isn't that hard given than you cook the chicken with the lid off for about 2 minutes, then with the lid on for another 12 minutes or so) then you're going to be just fine with it.

My cooker came with a good gasket so I didn't have to shop. But, I did find a website once where they claimed to have acceptable replacement gaskets. I'll look around and see if I can find it again.

tux_sf

Tom-
    I don't know about what you can replace the gasket with, but I did find that WearEver makes the manual/recipe book available for free as a PDF on their website:

[url="http://www.wearever.com/consumerinfo/archivedmanuals.htm"]http://www.wearever.com/consumerinfo/archivedmanuals.htm[/url]

There are actually quite a few manuals linked on this page for discontinued products.

Since I see there are several people selling reprints of this on eBay I thought people might like to have this resource!

I've been in******d (OK--I can't figure out why i-n-t-r-i-g-u-e-d is a censored word) by this cooker & wondered how good they are. After your testimonial I'll have to keep an eye out for one. Good luck in your gasket search. I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone on here didn't have the answer for you.

--Danny

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Would perhaps the gasket from a regular Wearever PRessure Cooker work? Those can still be ordered for replacement.......

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had the same thing happen to me about 20 years ago while doing chicken and dumplings in the presto pressure cooker. What a mess! I've been slightly afraid of the blasted thing ever since. I'd be a nervous wreck with oil under pressure. I make fried chicken almost every Sunday and I use a very old cast iron dutch oven that was my grandmothers, fill the thing halfway up with crisco, and my chicken comes out terrific with no overly dark spots which I always get when I try to use a regular skillet.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How is the Chicken Bucket different from a regular pressure cooker? I have my mom's Mirro Matic pressure cooker. It makes the best corned beef, short ribs, chicken etc. The Mirro Matics have three pressure levels-i.e slow, medium and fast- controlled by a weight that goes over the steam vent. They also have a pressure relief safety screw so that they don't totally blow up. If too much pressure builds up, the screw pops out and the steam and any liquid shoots staight up to the ceiling. This happened once to my mother and she blamed my father. I guess he must have been in charge of Mirro Matic maintenence, Anyway, the next thing I saw was my dad cleaning the ceiling. Also, parts are still easily available.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

RobbiQuest or any others Re: Gasket for Wearever Chicken Bucket. I have hunted and hunted. RobbiQuest said he found an alternative manufacturer who made one that worked. He said he'd look for the address. There have been no further posts. A parts house told me to buy a 9 inch Prest with a 3/8 inch thickness and cut it down to 8 inches (size of the Chicken Bucket) and figure out how to "weld" the 2 cut ends. If I could figure out how to seal the cut ends back together (with 1 inch removed)he said it would work just fine. Problem now is that I can find anyone who will revulcanize one Presto pressure cooker seal for the WearEver. Does ANYONE know how to get a new seal for a chicken bucket (from whom). I guess both the 4 and 6 quart use the same size. Thanks if you have any info. Jim in So. Calif.

Junior Hostboard Member jpwav716's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: wear-ever chicken bucket

[QUOTE=tommychoc;353599]Does anyone have any idea what material can be used to fabricate a new gasket for a Wear-Ever chicken bucket? If you're not sure what one looks like, cut & paste Wear-Ever chicken bucket into the search function on Ebay. There's also more information about them on another post on this board called "fried chicken - not" from 30 January 2006. These pots do wonders for chicken; not a bit greasy and juicy like you can't believe. The skin also takes on a very, very tasty and crispy aspect. I've been searching for one at yard and estate sales for a year or two. I'm just not willing to pay upwards of sixty dollars for one on Ebay. I've emailed the Wear-Ever folks and they said to check with my local hardware store to see what can be used for a new gasket. I guess they want to distance themselves up front from any potential lawsuits. And the danger element, I agree, should be taken well into consideration. I don't want to find myself at the Alleghenny General emergency room covered with third degree burns from pressurized boiling hot oil & peckered from head to foot with aluminum schrapnel. So if anyone is well versed in the fascinating world of heat resistant gaskets and has an idea what might work in a food service environment, please post with the info.

p.s. Yes Ha, its sort of like broasted chicken, but way, way better. Don't deny yourself this taste experience.[/QUOTE]

Presto 09908 gasket is almost identical. Ever so slightly thinner. Of course Presto advises that their gaskets are designed to work only with their pressure cookers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast