Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Me and that stove are made for eachother. Beauty dosen't even look out of place in front of a door (where he will be until I get the kitchen done)! It truely is home. I have completed the initial wash (really - not bad at all) and found where most of the parts fit. I have to say that it is in remakable shape.
    Say, there is a pipe under the sevice shelf thing - it just ends - is that where the gas pipe connects?
    I don't seem to have a safety although I can't really figure what all the tubing is about (in the side cabinet). How do I verify model and year?

The hood is unmarked and solid sheet copper. I can't tell if it is custom...There are empty srew holes on the front (like ones that would have held a name plate) and no other sign that it was comercially made. It has a large and impressive old style fan and motor which say "Radia" Sheppler mfg Co.

Does anyone know how one would go about replating copper? The back splash (for lack of a better term) is showing the silver metal (steel?) underneath in the areas which were most scrubbed and appears mottled. The rest I can live with although it would be just fabulous to get it back to the original finish! I don't think I want a fresh chrome - it has that soft sheen and is in good shape.

I wonder about the griddle - it dosen't seem to lay completely flat and there is about a half inch space at the back of it... is this normal?

I need to know how (and where it is too) get the thermostat off and sent in (to Uncertain stoveman- right? I think read that in here somewhere). I wonder if he would like to produce safety valve kits as well?

Wish me luck with the local gas company - they are preparing to do a poll of the neighborhood to see if anyone else wants to share in bringing in the gas!
    My thermowell pot lid is not (original, I mean). I think someone just found a pot lid that sort of fit. I'd be glad for a tip on another one.

This day has been so exciting that I now have to go rest! I tell you from the moment I bid on ebay to the unwrapping of Beauty has been a haul! This is only the second thing I ever bought on ebay (and about 100 times more expensive!)
    Thanks for all the help - now I can start putting it to use.

Thermowell lid
    thermostat,
    safety valve.
    And that's all I need! Well, maybe some gas...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Get your list started for parts, replacement needs, etc.. and watch E-bay and the "convention web site" has a classified ad section.

You do have the service manual for your model??
    Be sure to get one from Todd or Sam.

Good luck!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Some quick comments before I go off to sleep:

* The griddle can be straightened. The Service Manual tells you how.

* Are you sure the thermostat is broken? It may just be out of calibration...

* The large pipe is the "manifold" - it's where you connect your large flex line from the gas valve that attaches to the gas pipe coming from the gas company to your CHAMBERS.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks tp those who answered! I have a manual coming (right Todd?) It just isn't here yet. I am watching the mail box. I am bidding on some pots (tripple) on ebay (you probably know the ones). I don't know how to tell about the thermostat - is that going to be in the manual too or can you walk me through this. The previous owner said it needed replacing. I don't have gas at this time to turn it on. I would love to just be able to use the burners and broiler.-I have a hard time waiting.
    My stove feels and looks great in an area of my kitchen that I was planning to put cabinets (base only). The light is natural and the view good. What do you all think of forgoing the hood (which would block the view and change the feel of this spot)? The hood I have Is a large copper sheet metal one with probably a 10 inch diameter hefty looking (and beautiful, I might add), fan. There are no filters ... I guess this would get blown straight out the roof? I can't imagine the grease build up - fire hazzard, etc. Yet the fan and hood are completely free off any sign of grease - which is a place I can't seem to ever get with the hoods I've had. I don't don't know what to think....Anybody have a clue?

I am also wondering (as I contemplate my stove when I really should be sleeping) about the poossibility of having the broiler pan and thermowell pots plated with something more healthful than aluminum. Can aluminum be plated? What kind of inquiries have been made into the aluminum issue?

lowracer

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ March 10, 2006 12:19 AM: Message edited by: lowracer ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Yes, Phoebe, you should get your Manual any day now...

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ February 14, 2006 12:04 AM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I agree with Mark - I can't find anything to substantiate the Alzheimer's/aluminum cookware connection, alhtough I DO refrain from cooking acidic foods in aluminum.

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ February 14, 2006 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Now I am wondering if I actually have a real thermowell pot at all. It fits although it is level with the stove top - not recessed as I think they might have to be if there were a genuine insulated cover? My pot is very cool with movable handles that flat on the rim . And as I said before I just have a cruddy aluminum pot lid someone threw in. I don't think I can use the thermowell in the way it was intended if I can't insulate it (ie. CWTGO). Uh! Another thing!
    I saw in one of the posts that there were pot repplacements avail? Is this true? I am not locating it in my many searches. Also, is there a way to create the insulated lid?

I am continuing my search for replating - at least my back splash which has steel peeking through. Robbies Hobbies tells me that copper is no longer part of the chroming process (but I don't think that is universal - or maybe they just haven't heard of that 'round here). Another restoration place I called seemed stuck on the fact that the previous plating is (mostly) sealed with the ceramic coating. I imagine that much rechroming and replating restorative work must involve creating a fresh surface so I am not sure what the big deal is. Of course the size of my pieces narrow the field.

I am just so ready to start cooking!

Any help or ideas are well appreciated,

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

The Thermowell lid, which sits flush with the cooktop, is about 2" thick, maybe a little less (I've not measured it lately). Your pots have to sit below the lid bottom in order to get the seal you need to cook on retained heat.

Here's a picture with a real good view of the lid:

[img]http://www.chamberstoves.net/1950-Chambers-60C.jpeg[/img]

Here's another:

[img]http://www.chamberstoves.net/1950-ModelC-Ad.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Phoebe;
    I have an after-market single pot that I have successfully used in the twell. The knob on the lid is too high to use with the twell lid, so I just used aluminum foil instead. The twell lid was still about 1/8" above the stove surface and although I tried to seal the foil as well as I could, some steam still escaped. But, I made a lovely batch of treatmakers french chicken that way. Try foil or a different lid - experiment. What have you got to lose?
    Ann