Thread: Protecting exposed metal (that can't be painted)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

So i'm doing a restore on my model B, and like Mark (lowracer), i plan on painting just about everything can can be painted with protective high-heat paint.

But what about the surfaces that can't be painted? the metal door seals, the cast-iron around the inside of the oven near the front, etc.

These surfaces need to be protected, but i'm not sure if oil is the right option. Isn't oil what i've spent the last few months scraping and scrubbing off the various parts of the stove? It seems like food-oils will eventually get gummy, so i'm leaning towards mineral oils. However since this will be a high-heat environment, i'm worried about the mineral oils evaporating and getting in the food.

Do any of you know a solution?

lowracer

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ March 09, 2006 11:57 PM: Message edited by: lowracer ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I used canola oil and just seasoned the cast iron seal as if it were... cast iron cookware.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but whatever response was given was removed.

I just painted the frame of my stove, and was not aware that I shouldn't paint the metal door seals. I painted the seal on the stove frame, but not yet on the oven door frame. Can someone tell me why we shouldn't paint that? It doesn't seem to come in contact with the flame - although it'll be close at the bottom of the door. I understand that the paint may not hold up for long...I'm worried now that I may have somehow compromised the seal. Should I try to remove the paint or will it be ok?

Thanks!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here is what it says on the Rustoleum high heat paint can: "Do not use on metal directly exposed to flames or in direct contact with food, such as a grill grate." Sounds like you can leave it painted.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone know of a reason NOT to paint the seal? Since I have already painted it, I am wondering if I should go about trying to remove the paint or it you think it will be ok. Has anyone else ever painted theirs? Thanks!