Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For those who have had their tops rechromed, how have they held up ? Have you experienced any staining ? What is your preferred cleanup method ? I'm on the verge of finally sending my extra top out for cosmetic rejuvenation but need the nod of assurance from you experienced ones. Thanks !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ha_asfan,

We had our top rechromed this spring. So far it has not stained and looks great. My wife periodically uses chrome polish but usually she just makes sure she wipes it off everyday after using it.... We had our done here in St. Louis and it took about 6 weeks to complete...

Gasseous

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I clean our chrome top with a wet hand-knitted dishrag with a little bit of dishwashing liquid on it. The trick is to do it right after the cooking is done, when you're finishing up with washing the dishes.

Our range gets used every day, a couple times a day. Now that my wife's a stay-at-home mom, she cooks a lot. The top looks brand-new:

[url="http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chamberschrometopux7.jpg"][img]http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/9076/chamberschrometopux7.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had mine done by a biker shop in May. It cost a pretty penny but worth every cent. They did a beautiful job. It's held up fine except you should know a couple of things. First, scratches will really show and are easy to make. Be very careful with the grates. Fortunately, for me, the grates hide the scratches I made. Second, every little spot of dirt, grime, grease- whatever will also show. I can spot a dog hair on it from the dining room.
    The biker shop recommended "Nevr Dull" to clean and shine it up. All you really need to do is clean up any spills asap with a wet sponge or towel. I scrape any dried on spots with my fingernail. Remember that it is easy to see scratches. If I use the broiler, I clean the top as soon as I turn it off. The high heat makes grease removal a snap. Once you have the crud off( or c*r*u*d if the censor is listening) rinse with clean water and towels. Your can of Glass Wax should work great for a clean mirror finish except that you'll have to remove the dust particles it creates- they'll stick out like a sore thumb. I mentioned Jubilee wax and that works fine too. Windex does a nice job but the towel has to be very clean -fold it over and keep changing sides.
    Before I re-chromed, I was advised by several people not to do it for various reasons- "patina" "battle scars" "character"- things like that. I do think those are valid arguements that you might want to consider. And it is a lot of work to keep it looking good. I did it because I wanted that showroom look.
    Good luck with it. Let us know how it turns out. By the way, for an extra $75.00 I had the spice rack, light trim and pilot cover done. Well worth it.