Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

john is right. not only are those big old appliances wonderful to use, they are so beautiful to look at, display space is a must. lack of space has prevented me from getting the vintage washer and dryer ensemble but i wish i could. people who come over and see our kitschen are excited to see something so different and yet, so familiar. kitschens are it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

john is right. not only are those big old appliances wonderful to use, they are so beautiful to look at, display space is a must. lack of space has prevented me from getting the vintage washer and dryer ensemble but i wish i could. people who come over and see our kitschen are excited to see something so different and yet, so familiar. kitschens are it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Using my Moms Guardian Service pots and pans (she had all of them ) on MY Chambers like she did gives me a great deal of joy. I also am using her cast iron waffle cooker it sits over a burner gets very hot and STILL does a great job.

kathie k

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ever since that link to the Automatic Washing Machines was posted I've been a regular visitor. I've watched the videos and particularily love watching the entire cycle of the the first GE Automatic Washing Machine. If you have 20 minutes to kill, watch the wash ! Those guys are so on top of what's going on and their links to other sites of vintage everything are amazing. I'm dying for a Westinghouse slant front, front load washer and dryer set...they are just too wonderful looking. But, for you folks considering a new washer and dryer, please, please consider the STABER Horizontal axis machine. IT is a HUGE water and energy saver, cleans beautifully and is well worth the "mind set change". I've used the horizontal axis machines for years and there is nothing like them.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ha:

Grrreeeeeaaatttt topic.

Funny you should mention the Staber. I've wanted one for 5 years. I think it is a great machine that anyone who appreciates the integrity of old appliances should consider.

My fave appliance: Nesco Roasters, which sorta puts me at odds with my belief in Chambers. Man, do they ever do a turkey justice. They are beautiful (esp. the older oval colored enamel ones with nesting inserts: yowsa!!!!).

Every Thanksgiving I struggle between the Nesco or the Lisk/Chambers combo for the turkey, and the Nesco always wins. The "theater" of the Nesco is what clinches it, plus the Chambers is then available for all the other obligatory baked goods.

Nuthin' like a Nesco for hearing all the crackle and pop of that turkey's protein breaking down into such a deliciously digestable form. Plus, the smell is right there, not insulated by layer on layer of sheet metal, porcelain, and mineral wool. Wanna sneek a peek at that browning baby? No prob: twist the knob that flips the lid and there she is in all of her camelized splendor. MMmmmmmm! Make mine Nesco!

Joe P

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh! Oh! Oh!

You fellow freaks have got to get the book "Atomic Kitchen. Gadgets and inventions for yesterday's Cooks", by Brian S. Alexander. Collector's Press. It is beautifully printed, and has smart writing. Total eye candy for vintage appliance fanatics.

So far I can only locate one Chambers, which is almost offensive, but I'm getting over it.

Joe P.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Manning Bowman blows away any competition. Especially for percolators and waffle irons- check out the Twin-O-Matic waffle iron. Flawless design, lots of chrome and very practical. I think a lot of these vintage appliances are just that- candy for the eyes and useful. The radios are that and more. The tone from a tube radio is so very rich and mellow. I have an RCA deco console in the living room and a Packard Bell table top for the kitchen. I've been looking for a Silvertone console with a wire recorder and would give my eye teeth for a Fada Catalin.
    In my dreams.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, this took a little bit of my time...wished I been a bit earlier...v

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/TWIN-O-MATIC-Manning-Bowman-VINTAGE-WAFFLE-IRON-MINT_W0QQitemZ180016905613QQihZ008QQcategoryZ116013QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.com/TWIN-O-MATIC-Manning-Bowman-VINTAGE-WAFFLE-IRON-MINT_W0QQitemZ180016905613QQihZ008QQcategoryZ116013QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I recently got a great deal on the Hamilton Beach mixer with the two milk glass bowls and the citrus juicer (with milk glass) which sits on the top. All original and it works! $30.00 at a local Vintage store going out of business sale. I had to stash my big modern KitchenAid mixer under the counter - I am sure I'll still need it for some things!

Should I do anything before I put it in to active use? New cord? Motor check? Oil?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Congrats on the new (old) mixer!
    I recently sent my grandmother's 1940's Dormeyer off to my younger sister to use in her kitchen. Those old mixers were built to last and factory lubricated so all you should really have to do is give it a good cleaning and check the cord. Obvioously you'll want to have that changed out if it's frayed or damaged in any way. My old Dormeyer has been in continuous use since 1942 and has never had any maintenance except a new cord sometime in the 1970s and it is still going strong. My grandmother always wanted a Kitchenaid mixer and waws always told (by my grandfather) "you can have your new mixer when this one wears out!" Poor Bubbe never did get her new mixer! You can't kill the darn things! Wheather or not you will still find use for your modern Kitchenaid depends on how much of a mixer you are! The old Dormeyer is perfect for my sister who mostly just makes cakes and cupcakes for the kids. As for me, I bake bread every week, grind meat, squeeze oranges, and do a lot of stiff cookie doughs, so I would be lost (or develop tremendous biceps!) without my Kitchenaid. I have the heavy duty tilt head model. The nice thing is that it looks just like the one that my Mother got in 1957 as a wedding gift, so it fits right into my 1950s kitchen! And again, you can never kill these mixers, so some lucky recipient will probably be mixing up batches of cookies with the mixer that they pick up cheap at the estate sale after I'm dead and gone!
    Happy Mixing!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast