Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Hi. Great board. I bought a house with a Chambers range and oven - circa 1960 -- the range is the countertop type, with 4 burners and the griddle in the middle. The oven is also the countertop type.

My question is about the griddle feature. I think I am missing a few pieces to mine. The left lever in front seems to raise the griddle (quite hard to do, though), and underneath there are two "hangers" which can rotate. The right lever seems to raise or rotate these hangers -- but I'm sure I'm missing something. Is it a grease pan? or this broiler pan that I've seen? What is the purpose of the right lever?

Should the left lever be so hard to raise the griddle? Everything else seems so easy, I think this should be easier -- are other people's hard to raise?

If I'm missing this broiler pan, where can I get a replacement, or the dimensions?

(also, if it's not a grease pan, how do you get rid of the grease from the griddle. For example, if you make bacon, what do you do with the puddle of grease? I thought it should drain into some trap of some sort. or do you just mop it up?)

Thanks,

Kemp

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Kemp. I have the free standing range, not the countertop version, but I will assume that the griddle functions the same.
    First, the lever to raise the griddle should not be really hard to turn. Probably a good cleaning and lube will do wonders.
    Second, the other lever does indeed raise and lower the broiler pan to allow for distance from the flames. You can find replacement pans from some of the sites listed on the Chambers website, or watch for one on ebay.
    Third, sounds like you are also missing the grease dripping catch pan. It's roughly 3"x12" (going from memory here, mine's downstairs) and sits on the floor of the broiler "box".
    Hope this helps!
    Gwen