Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I put in the same safety system that was described on this board. It seems to work fine. My question is this... how hot is the oven supposed to be when it is turned off? I adjusted the thermostat and it seems to be very close according to my thermometer. However, after several hours, (overnight), my oven is still reading 200 degrees..... Is this correct or do I need to reduce my pilot light? How do I reduce my pilot light since there is no adjustment?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I found a similar situation with my oven. Mine was running between 200 and 250 with the oven off, just the pilot. Now I shut off the pilot when done with the oven. Just insert a metal card between the pilot and the thermocouple, wait a few seconds and you'll hear a satisfying CLICK and the pilot will go out.

This has the calming effect of testing the safety system often too, so you know it will really work when needed. No need to wonder, "is it working?"

In the winter I wouldn't mind leaving it run since it does heat the house. But in the summer we're paying to cool the place down. I don't need extra heat.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like your pilot is a little high. The pilot gas adjustment is on the magnet head of the safety valve. It is under a screw. Remove the screw and there is another sloted adjustment screw in the hole. I will try to find a photo to post of the adjustment. You want just bearly enough flame to keep the thermocouple hot. Your ovens will be cooler than 200, but still warm. The pilot puts out about as much heat as a 60 watt light bulb.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sam,

Would the flame of been less is I have of used the smaller size tubing for the pilot? I chose the 1/4" size. I shall attempt to adjust it and let you know how much difference it makes.

Gasseous

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gassy, Nope, tubing size doesn't matter. You just need to adjust the pilot flame with the adjustment screw in the safety valve to lower it. Again, it should be just big enough to keep the thermocouple hot. Regards, Sam

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I shall take a look at it.... BTW, I think that I have figured out the reason that my Thermowell damper is working backward.... I ran the rod from the valve to the pivot point on the wrong side of the metal frame.... Darn thing fits well, but works backward... have to remove the front to correct it.... LOL!

Gasseous

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sam,

I found the adjustment for the oven pilot.... turned it down and now my oven temp is around 125... I can live with that.... BTW, there are 2 screws on the safety. A big one that is at 90 degrees to the red button and a small one that is on the same side as the red button.... DO NOT REMOVE THE BIG SCREW AS GAS WILL LEAK LIKE CRAZY!! I removed the small one and turned the pilot down. This required a jeweler's screwdriver. I can't remember which direction, but if it doesn't seem to do anything, go the other way... it will indeed turn down the pilot..

[img]http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/3188/safetyvalve15ww.jpg[/img]

Gasseous

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/74393054@N00/160132954/"][img]http://static.flickr.com/78/160132954_6ae43b9824_o.jpg[/img][/url]

I added the text to your photo. Maybe this will help someone else.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OK let me get this straight, you REMOVE the screw marked Pilot Gas Adjustment Screw, and then underneath that is the actual adjustment screw?

This explains why turning that labelled screw had no effect on the pilot in my oven. It's just a cover for the real screw?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You got it. The Adjustment screw is under the first screw. The first screw is a Sealing screw. Remove the first screw and under it is the adjustment screw down in the hole. You will need a small sloted screwdriver to reach down into the hole to turn the adjustment screw. Turning it clockwise will turn down the gas to the pilot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast