Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been a lot of places and eaten a lot of things, lard, I am certain is one of them. Sometimes I just don't ask and they don't tell. Once every several years I get that hankering for bacon or ribs and, well, it is useless to fight the crave! Truth be told, I LOVE bacon and ribs!!! It is crazy and there is some rationalization involved here, don't ask what it is because I don't know, but somehow I just can't get my head wrapped around the idea of pig fat in a fruit pie. For the time being, I'm sticking with Crisco and butter although lard may be just a shopping trip away.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had bought some lard a month or so ago, for waht purpose I cannot remember. When my daughter asked me what this stuff was... I told her is was old-fashioned cooking oil. As Berlyn mentioned, lots of fast/commercial foods were cooked with it, back in the day. I told my Megan that not too long ago McDonalds fries were cooked in it.

Of course, at the mention of fries her green eyes started to sparkle. She asked me if they were good that way... *sigh* "a little slice of heaven" I told her. Well, I realized how deprived my poor darling was and went to work. I scrubbed and sliced a bunch of potatoes. Got out my biggest cast iron chicken fryer and started frying them up.

What a feast we had! Also grilled up some burgers. My darling daughter was enthralled! These were the finest fries she'd ever had! They almost didn't require ketchup (GASP).

"When can we have them again, Mom?" Imagine her dissapointment when I told her it was a once a year, at best, menu item.

I like y'alls, don't ask-don't tell policy. Just wish they had never told us how BAD lard is for us. Yes, I will still use it but, in moderation. Pie crust would definitely be one of those uses.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

PieMan isn't kidding about the 26-page booklet - I don't remember why I was so privileged (maybe I sent him a part of something), but Joe was kind enough to send me a copy. It is a very thorough treatise on all the proper ins-and-outs of pie-making (it can be quite an art form.) I think PieMan says he even does classes on Proper Pie Preparation, and this is the booklet he uses. He also hosts an annual Pie and Poetry gathering where everyone who attends must bring their homemade pie, and original poems written on paper pie-plates. If I lived near Chicago, I would definitely attend this grand event.

I do agree with someone's post above - maybe you can woo some pie secrets out of the Bard by posting a poem for him. :-)

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ November 17, 2006 11:39 AM: Message edited by: RobbiQuest ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll leave the crust portion of this recipe up to you. I made this for Thanksgiving last year and it was faboooooo! )Note: I upped the sugar a little bit, it was too tart following the recipe)

[b]Apple-Cider Pie [/b]

Filling:
    2 cups apple cider
    1/3 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin-pie spice
    7 Braeburn apples, peeled and quartered (about 3 pounds)
    Cooking spray
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1 tablespoon water
    1 tablespoon sugar

To prepare filling, bring cider to a boil in a large, heavy saucepan over high heat. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 20 minutes). Cool completely.

Preheat oven to 450?.

Combine cooled cider, 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla, and pie spice in a large bowl. Cut each apple quarter crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Stir apple slices into cider mixture.

Remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap from the 12-inch circle; fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray, allowing dough to extend over edge of plate. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap. Spoon apple mixture into crust, and brush edges of crust lightly with water. Remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap from the 11-inch circle, and place on top of apple mixture. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap. Press edges of dough together; fold edges under, and flute. Cut 6 (1-inch) slits into top of pastry using a sharp knife. Combine egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush top and edges of pie with egg mixture, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Place pie on a baking sheet, and bake at 450? for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350? (do not remove pie from oven), and bake an additional 45 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Asfan,
    Many many years ago, everything was fried in lard. It supposedly has a high heat factor much like peanut oil. This was before we had the technology of what it did to ones arteries. Clogged the cr*p out of them.
    Remember in the 70's the ads for Crisco and Wesson oil?? That's when we moved away from lard.
    It ususally comes in a square box package and is next to the Crisco.
    I just can not imagine using it!! I'd have to go with the "don't ask, don't tell me" policy with lard!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey gang:

Your impatience is absolutely flattering, but I am very busy the next few days. I should not even be awake now. Will try to post the distilled "recipe" (honest, it's a 26 page booklet!) next week.

In the meantime, bbbuddy, your recipe is intrigueing, the antithisis of mine. My recipe is entirely hydrophobic. Would love to try it.

Peace, patience, pie.

Joe P.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, everything in moderation! I use lard in pie crusts and biscuits, olive or safflower oil in most everything else.

tux_sf

Hey bbbuddy-
    I tried your crust recipe & I have to say it works very well. It came out flaky & tastes good. The other thing that was nice about it was that it handles very well. It rolled out easily & holds up even when you get it quite thin, as long as you keep flour on hand to use on your work surface--just as you say to in the instructions. I didn't use lard, but a non-hydrogenated shortening instead (it is an organic, health foodie kind of product sold under the 'Earth Balance' brand name). It also seemed to stand quite a bit of handling from what I could see.

As an experiment, since I needed 4 crusts worth of pastry I also made a batch following the basic [i]Joy of Cooking[/i] recipe. That one has some butter along with the shortening.

Both worked fine, but I liked yours better.

Thanks for posting it!

--Danny

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Glad you liked it, Danny! I find making pies MUCH easier to do with this recipe, and have made more pies since I got it, than in my entire long life before I got it!
    Happy pie making!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's an interesting recipe for pie crust. When you say "mix" the lard and the flour, I don't know whether to picture cutting it in with a pastry blender or two knives, or somehow actually mixing it like with a cake. Will you clear that up for me?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast