Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I took the side panels off my B model, and noticed a small amount of insulation attached to the inside bottom of the panel. Is there supposed to be rockwool in there? I was looking at everyone's story boards and couldn't see if I'm missing any. Thanks!

Also, is there supposed to be insulation under the top? Is there a book that shows where's it's supposed to be?
    ~~~Joslyn
    Chambers newbie

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ May 20, 2006 05:51 PM: Message edited by: clutter-bug ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also, what is that Mica glass thingey under the oven door - and what is it for, mine is broken, where do I get a new one?

Hope I don't drive everyone craaaaaazy with my questions.

Thanks,
    ~~~Joslyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Careful with that piece of insulation inside the side panels. It could be asbestos.

The mica is a heat-resistant window to let you view the oven flames without opening the door. Numerous sources for this, search the message board archives.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Joslyn:

The insulation panels (if they are dense, stiff ,and light grey colored) are most likely asbestos and very "friable" : the one's I've found on the Chambers I've disasembled generate asbestos dust very easily. They should be handled absolutely minimally, and put into plastic garbage bags immediately. Wear a top notch resperator and wash down any remaning dust with water and dispose of the water down a drain (rather than letting it dry on the floor). Wash the clothes and gloves you are wearing also.

If instead the panels appear soft with whispy long strands like fiber-glass insulation, most likely they are not asbestos.

Also, they most probably are supposed to be attached to the top, rather than bottom, of the sides of the stove when the panels are removed. I would guess they fell from handling.

Do a search on this topic here to find more info.

Joe

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello,

There was absolutely nothing between the side panels and the inner frame...nothing underneath the top either.

My question is. Joe and Lowracer, should I put insulation inbetween the side panels and the inner frame? When I took the panel off, there was like a grungy layer, no more than 1/4" thick on the inside bottom of the panel, which made me think something was missing?

Lowracer: I searched the posts about Mica glass and see someone recommended covering it with a piece of tin instead...do you agree?

I just want to thank everyone for this board, I can't imagine tackling this stove without all the help I'm finding here,

Thank you for your time in replying!

Is there anyone else on this board in Connecticut that's tackled a Chambers?
    ~~~Joslyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Joslyn:

I have a model C Chambers, I'm not sure if the side-panel placement is the same for B's... But, I'm attaching a couple pics that show how they are placed in a C. (Mine was pink stuff, no asbestos!)

[img]http://static.flickr.com/45/150340362_7b8383befe_b.jpg[/img]

[img]http://static.flickr.com/47/150340363_96a57a8e85_b.jpg[/img]

Hopefully this helps a bit.I don't believe that any Chambers models have insulation under the tops. With the exception of the rockwool in the T-well box. Which, I believe, attaches to the stove top. (not sure about that I have a 41C, which has no t-well. But, I seem to remember seeing this in other posts)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

FatFutures:

Thanks for photos. I see you have insulation in your side panels...I have a Model 15BZ...so if I put insulation in - does it have to be rockwool?

From what I'm reading on previous posts, I don't think there's any asbestos in this stove - if there was, it was taken out previously.

Thanks for replying
    ~~~Joslyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I do not believe that they ever put rockwool in the side panels. If my hubby was awake I could tell you what we were planning on using, some sort of "insulation board" is all I can recall.

The only places that you will find rockwool (again, as far as I know, I am certainly no expert here) is in your oven door (easy to replace), in the t-well box (easy to replace I THINK), in the backsplash (not sure this applies to all models nor how easy it is to replace) and in the oven box itself. The oven box seems to be a BEAR to open. Not many here have attempted this. From what I've read, most would actually discourage you from taking it apart. As it is fairly well sealed, I wouldn't worry about the rockwool there, it should be fine!

If you didn't know, you can purchase rockwool from Sam (The Uncertain Stoveman) on Ebay.

Hopefully this helps...

Michelle

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ May 21, 2006 09:55 AM: Message edited by: FatFutures ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Michelle, yes it helps! I think I might just put something on the left side of the stove that is going to be against wooden cabinets....

Thanks again, very helpful, I appreciate your help and support so much,
    ~~~Joslyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Joslyn,
    I have a Model B, and have dissembled several other B's and a BZ - I never found insulation in the side panels or under the top, except inside the oven panels which are mostly inaccessible unless you try really hard. Putting some insulation in the side that butts up against the wall is probably a good idea, but it didn't come with the stove originally.