Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Never tried making this before, followed the Idle Hour Cookbook precisely, didn't believe it would work but...here are the results of only 20 minutes gas and 20 minutes retained heat. Just to be polite, I had to test the product...then I just had to test it again...and again. Hope there is enoughleft for dinner.

Recipe:

Dry rub roast all around with kosher salt, ground black pepper and paprika.

Put into 500 degree preheated oven for 20 minutes gas on, turn gas off and allow to cook for another 20 minutes.

How simple is that ?

I know this isn't considered to be a highyl desireable cut of meat but I've got to tell you, it's juicy,, tender and delicious. The gravy in the pan is natural, I added no water or other liquids.[img]http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/1465/rumproastum1.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ha:

Daroooooollllll! Looks great! Will put rump roast on my next shopping list.

BTW, I'm assuming you used the cover of the lisk roaster. Did you leave the vents open or closed? How many pounds?

Regards,

Joe P.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Raw weight was 4.6 pounds. I did not put the lid on the Lisk until the gas was turned off and maintained the closed vent. Not bad for a low end cut of meat, not bad at all.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ha,

You're making me hungry.....You know I don't have a working kitchen yet! You're making me jelous and chomping at the bit to start cooking again.

I'm going to try all your recipes next week. (I hope)

Treatmaker

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Don't forget to post pictures of your newly redone kitchen, Treatmaker! I'd love to see it.

-Jenn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jenn,

When it's done, I'll have my friend take some pics with her digital and post. I had her take pics of before so I'll put both on.

As of today, it's starting to look like a kitchen again. I'm pleased with it. It's a basic kitchen,my buget wouldn't allow for anything extra. I just finished the bathroomtwo weeks ago and that room had structural problems that ate away at my kitchen budget. Unfortunately the kitchen had taken such a beating from the leaks in the bathroom that I didn't have the luxury of waiting a while to do it so I could save a little more money to put towards it.

Virginia aka treatmaker

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Ha:

This might seem stupid, but the rump roast I bought does not have that net that yours has, and it isn't hunched over like yours. Does that matter? And it's beef, right?

Joe P.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Joe, Yes, I used beef. I had never seen a rump roast with a net until I purchased this one. Actually, I never cooked one until this experiment. I remember my mother making rump roasts that were tied with string. If your roast is flat, as a brisket is, I would roll and tie it. If it is more a true "rump", nice and round and full, just cook it as it is. May we post your pie dough recipe? The last one I made turned out just perfectly and it is pictured in the chicken pot pie post.