Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi I am new to this board. I purchased a Chambers Model C off of ebay and have taken it apart to clean. I have the "Revised Service Manual" and thought it would have a nice exploded view diagram. It does not. I work by pictures and am now unsure where certain screws, bolts, and items are supposed to go. Stove was disassembled when I purchased it. Any suggestions?

Also I need:
    1) a new flash tube (the one that has a longer tab on it)
    2) a barrel bolt for the oven handle
    3) timer dial
    4) I don't know what the oven had for a flash tube but the one attached to the burner looks like it needs replacement.
    5) Something ate through porcelain making a long drip stain that runs down the front. Any suggestions?
    6) I would like to take apart the thermostat and rebuild myself. Any thoughts?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

The only view Chambers made was the cutaway view shown in the Revised Service Manual.

Flash tubes show up on eBay once in a while, and there are also places that sell reproductions, for a not-so-nominal fee.

Take your oven handle down to a good hardware store and ask for a "ROLL PIN" to replace the special bolt that held it in place originally.

You cannot rebuild the thermostat yourself - there are special tools and processes needed to do it right and recharge it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I forgot to mention - the only flashtube the ovens without pilot lights had was the one that goes from the bottom front of the oven floor to the burner.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Process,

Take heart, you're in the hands of the most supportive discussion group on the whole world wide web ... well, ok, at least of the 3 or 4 that I've been involved with.

If there's something specific you have a question about, post it here, and I guarantee that there're a dozen folks who can answer it. Pictures always help.

If that doesn't work, you might check the photos that group members have already posted of their own restorations, especially at: [url="http://chambersvirtualconvention.com/restoration_stories.htm."]http://chambersvirtualconvention.com/restoration_stories.htm.[/url]

And if that doesn't work, right now, my model C is mostly disassembled into baggies, but I did mark them, and even took a few pictures in the process.

This sounds like a nice Fall project for the group and I'm confident that we'll get your stove back together without even touching it.

So, where does that round flat thing with the spring attached to it go ... ?

Good luck,

Jack

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sometimes porcelain can stain. If it is truly a stain on your stove, it's yours forever. A few things to clean porcelain quite well are: amonia, full strength appied with a soft cloth or cotton ball, allow to soak in and rub with a terry cloth or similar but never any abrasive; amonia and baking soda paste, same procedure; lye, but use extreme caution and cover all exposed body parts and eye goggles are a must; whitening toothpaste applied and let allowed to set for a while; A paste made of equal parts water softener, baking soda and washing soda can work wonders. Porcelian has a porosity although it is very tight, some foods, especially dairy based can cause permenant damage if allowed to set. Wipe off spills and drips immediately to keep things in good shape. The best thing to remember is to be firm but gentle in care of the finishes.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am attempting to a picture of the gas tube routing. The thermostat is removed here. The roll pin works fine for the handle.

[url="http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6478/1313188ow0.jpg"]http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6478/1313188ow0.jpg[/url]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Process, here's the same shot from my Model C before I took it apart. It looks like you're good so far, except that the oven line should go behind/under the two next to it (broiler & back burner). At least that's how mine was. Either way, you're way ahead of me.

Good luck,

Jack

[img]http://static.flickr.com/112/293942052_fda8ae710e.jpg?v=0[/img]

Good luck,

Jack

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

The Tulsa Stove Hospital - (918) 584-7622 - has brand new, NICELY made flash tubes for the CHAMBERS stove. They're not cheap, but they're not cheaply built, either.

Call Richard and tell him I sent you for some.