Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chambers stove on wheels/coasters?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey all!

Any input or info will be greatly appreciated. A while back there was a chambers on ebay that had wheels on it/ Since we are doing the kitchen remodel, my hubby and I thought it would be a great idea. Easy to move in and out for cleanup. Has anyone attempted to do it? I should have cut and pasted a pic of the stove to get an idea on how it was done.

Let me know your thoughts.

Treatmaker

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I made a dolly for mine while I was restoring it. I decided to leave it on the dolly for two reasons. One, the original legs are slightly bent and I'm afraid they might break. Two, the dolly raises it enough to match the height of the base cabinets- 36". As I recall, the non-dolly stove is only 35" I have the kickplate just sitting on the floor. It hides the dolly and you can't see the gap at the top.
    The Old Appliance Club has chrome- actually brushed metal- replacements for $91.50

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, I'm a little behind the times here catching up. Treatmaker, yes, they are like a little disk. Black on one side, light blue on the other. I found them at the Home Depot. I know Walmart sells them too.

Who asked about the chrome legs? I do forget, sorry, but yes, I have chrome legs. I bought them for $24.00 each from [url="http://www.antiquestoves.com"]www.antiquestoves.com[/url] (the website seems to be currently down at this moment). They are adjustable and self-leveling, and quite sturdy. We've been happy so far.

Ha, you asked about my cork floor. Well, go to [url="http://www.korkmosaik.com"]www.korkmosaik.com[/url] and check it out. That's what I have. It looks incredibly awesome, interesting, unique, and we are loving it. It's warm in winter (important in New England!), soft under my feet. Very quiet, too. We put on a top coat of polyurethane, then floor wax, and I'm going to coat it again with beeswax. I love the way the wax squeaks under my feet - it reminds me of when my mom used to wax her floor as a diligent German Housefrau!

I hope I answered everyone's questions!

Warmest Regards to all my Chambers friends and supporters!
    ~~~Joslyn
    aka clutter-bug

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ November 03, 2006 11:33 AM: Message edited by: clutter-bug ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Clutterbug, Thanks for the link to the cork flooring you used. You provided a new link for cork flooring and I really appreciate it. I am SO HAPPY that you are doing something that I always do and everyone says "you're crazy"....and that is, waxing over poly. Absolutely nothing is as beautiful as a waxed floor and yes, that squeak !!! A word for all those folks who have wood, linoleum or cork floors: whenyou are preparing to paint your rooms, wax the floors before you paint. That llayer of wax will add a wonderful layer of protection to your floors...any drips or spots or scuffs will come right up off the wax and when done, just a light buffing will restore all the beauty.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Ha,

Thank you for the compliments! You gave me the warm fuzzies. When I post pictures of my kitchen, you will see, it's kind of "Funky Fifties". I have a vintage frig, and vintage sink, and of course my Chambers. The "weird" cork floor is the final touch. I was really feeling out of my depth putting the wax over the poly. Talking with the man in Germany who sold me the flooring was difficult - a little bit of a language barrier. But I saw in the instructions that you could wax, so I went for it, and as you know, it's absolutely lovely. Our 16 yo son loves to slide on it as much as he can. I ought to wax it, put old socks on his feet and say "son, slide all you want and polish it for me."
    Do you have any idea how often I have to rewax? I have zero experience with this. I'll post my photos soon.

Thanks again,
    ~~~Joslyn
    aka clutter-bug

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Joslyn,

I love your cork floor. It was something that I really wanted in my kitchen, but hubby and the contractor talked me out of it. I'm in the final stages with the kitchen and probably will be done my end of next week.(hopefully) This is something I don't want to ever take on again. All the dust and disruption doesn't sit well with my Libra scales!

I did find the sliders and bought two different brands. Hubby can choose which ones he wants to use. Tomorrow we take our old model b into the garage to clean up and dismantle to sell for parts and keep some of them for our "new" model b. I did a lot of great cooking on the old girl and hate to part her out, but she has a hugh rust spot in the back wall of the oven that's going to go right through. I bought her off ebay and was a novice and hadn't found this site.

Thanks to everyone for the input on the sliders.

Regards,
    Treatmaker

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Clutterbug, Thanks for the great link for cork floors. Wow! They are beautiful! I was wondering though...I am a very messy messy cook with bread baking going on all the time and a few grease drops here and there, how well does the grease clean up? I was also wondering about the poly and how often you would have to re-apply. I am sure that this really does walk
    away.

Fatnsassy from all that bread!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I Have 3 chambers now (Yes I have lost it!) I have been working on the one for so long and flat out can not read the diagrams that I paid such good money for that I had to buy another one so I could see how to put the one back together. Sounds crazy but it works. I have one chambers on a dolly and one on wheels. Prefer the one on wheels, much easier to move around. Chrome legs sound good but sliders sound better. Maybe both?

Fatnsassy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A good coat of wax lasts several months with a lot of traffic. One of the great advantages of wax is that you can spot fisnish, that is, you can re-wax the worn area without needing to do an entire floor, just feather out the edges and let the polisher do the rest. The only poly you spot refinish is the water based stuff and then there are drying times and prep and the whole magila so i just go for the wax. The factory installed poly finishes have something like a 20 or 25 year life expectancy. from experience, they are very durable but do have a tendency to scratch, hence, the wax. Wax can be your best friend in the kitchen from floor to appliances, even counter top appliances and like a crazy person, i like wax on stone or tile backsplashes where there is a lot of food splattering, just makes cleanup so much easier. Back to cork, the easiest installation are the floating floor planks. The floatng planks require no adhesive or nailing, just the tongue and groove pressure fit and you are done. The easiest to repair in case of disaster is the standard old fashioned cork tile which can be cut out and a new one put in it's place. Planls too can be removed but you need to start at an edge and remove every one until you reach your desired plank then re-install them all. I don't know why people are afraid of cork flooring...maybe becausse it is not so common they are simply inexperienced but once you have cork you will wonder why you ever lived with anything else. If you are looking for a custom cork color, they can be had by most manufacturers. Also available are corks for walls and ceilings and even countertops. My rambling and disjointed style as usual but the content is good.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What type of wax do you use or do you use different waxes for different applications? I am not a big fan of pledge because of the silicone in it. Also we can have no airisols because we have birds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast