Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

We have recently purchased an older home that came with a fantastic looking Chambers drop-in cooktop and wall oven.

My concern is that when the home Inspector checked out the cooktop and pulled the knob(s) outward (as if to remove to clean), gas could be heard shooting out and seconds later fire shot up. Pushing the knob(s) back "in" turned the gas off and fire went out. It seems extremely dangerous. What I am wondering is this common and part of the origianl design? Or is it a problem with an old gas appliance that needs to be repaired?

It happens with all of the knobs. I've not been able to find out if this is common with the cooktops. Do I risk any danger by using the burners and just knowing not to pull the knobs out?

Does anyone even have these cooktops?

I love the look and potential function of the Chambers appliances, and would love to keep them in the house...

David

cejesq

I don't have the drop-in, but check to see whether the retaining plate that secures the valves in place was raised (perhaps to lub the valves) but not repositioned properly. If so, what's happening is that when he pulled on the handle he was actually sliding the valve stem out. Yeah ... fix that.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks cejesq for the reply!

I'm not "mechanically" minded. Do you think this is something a certified gas appliance dealer can handle? I mean, its not Chambers-specific?

Sorry if I sound dumb on the topic. No absolutely nothing about gas stoves in general, let alone a great 'ol beauty like this Chambers?

David

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello David, Don't let that "inspecter" mess with your stove top again, he doesn't seem to know anything about gas appliances. The action that you describe about pulling out on the gas valve is normal for that series of Chambers stove tops and most any other stovetop of that era. When you are pulling on the knob, and it is stuck to the gas valve shaft because of old age, dried grease, etc.; What you are actually doing is pulling the gas valve apart which opens it up to leak gas. This is normal. Now, to solve this situation: Turn off the gas supply to the stovetop. (there should be a cutoff valve under the stovetop, Probably in the cabinet under the stovetop). Now that the gas is off, you can remove the knobs without burning all the hair off of your hands. Pull on the knobs with a steady straight pull. When you get the knobs off, clean them and put a dab of grease on the shafts to allow the knobs to pull off, with out pulling the valves open. Good Luck and Safety First! Regards, Sam

cejesq

While you're at it, David. Find a copy of the Chambers Technical Manual for your unit. They are very informative.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sammy, Thanks so much for the additional information. I've received differing stories about what this could be. Most of them have agreed with what you are confirming, that it is common for this cooktop, and not something I need to be terrified of. As the closing date on the house approaches, I'm spending more and more time looking at the pictures of the Chambers units, and getting more and more excited about being able to use them.

One of the first things I'm hoping to do is locate and identify the model, etc. of the cooktop so that I can get my hands on a manual.

I did find, what I thought was a manual, a booklet published for the Chambers. However, it is full of recipes with a couple pages in the back about the operation of the appliances.

Anyone know if this is what you are calling the manual? Or is it probably just a booklet that went with the Chambers cooktop.

Thanks again!

David

taheckler

Check with Todd, the Moderator of this Hostboard. He has manuals for most of the stoves. I got one from him and it's been a total lifesaver. Try going to this page:

[url="http://chambersstoves.50megs.com/models.html"]http://chambersstoves.50megs.com/models.html[/url]

to pick out your exact model - it seems to have them all on here. Todd would need to know that.

Great post - keep us updated! :-)

Junior Hostboard Member regmitchell's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Chambers "In-A-Top" Drop-In Cooktop Concern

Late to the party but do people still come here