Why does my child need a booster seat?
Booster seats position the seat belt properly over the child's body. If a child is wearing just a seat belt, the lap belt could ride up onto the child's abdomen in a crash, causing serious internal injuries. A booster seat also helps to position the shoulder portion of the seat belt safely across the child's chest and shoulder.

As an added bonus, booster seats raise children to help them see better out the window and to be more comfortable.

When does my child need a booster seat?
Booster seats are for children 18 to 27 kg (40-60 lb.). Be prepared to use a booster seat for approximately four years. A 40 pound child is approximately four years old, and a 60 pound child is approximately 8 years old.

There are some booster seats on the market that protect children up to 70 pounds. There are also some convertible car seat/booster seat models. You'll need to shop around to find the right type for your needs.

When your child reaches the weight or height limit of your booster seat, or when the middle of the child's ears is above the back of the vehicle seat or booster seat, it is time to move him out of a booster seat and into a seat belt.

Which type of booster seat is the safest?
The two main types of booster seats are: the type that uses a shoulder/lap belt together, and the type that uses only a lap belt.

The booster seats that use both a shoulder and lap belt provide the best protection. The shoulder belt stops the child from moving too far forward in a crash.

The type of booster seat that uses only a lap belt is often called a shield booster seat. Some families need to use this seat because they must put the child in the middle of the back seat of the car, which has only a lap belt. This type of booster still offers better protection than just a seat belt.

How do I use a booster seat properly?
Follow the booster seat instructions carefully. Check your vehicle owner's manual to see how booster seats should be used with your vehicle. .

When using a booster seat, it is important that the vehicle seat back gives your child proper head and neck support. If the booster seat raises the child so that the middle of his ear is above the car's seat back, he could be injured. In this case, either get a lower booster seat or use a high-back booster designed to be taller than the car's seat (used with lap/shoulder belts only), or use the seat belt alone.

Keep your child in the back seat of the car. It's the safest place.

Should I use a locking with my booster seat?
A locking clip is an H-shaped metal clip that helps to keep a child car seat firmly in place. Locking clips are used when a vehicle has a continuous loop lap/shoulder belt.

Many booster seats do not require a locking clip because the booster is designed to allow a child to wear the lap/shoulder belt just as an adult would. There is also a chance that the locking clip could injure a child in a booster seat if the metal clip comes in contact with the child's body during a crash.

Always check the instructions for your booster seat and use a locking clip only if the manufacturer recommends it.

My daughter is 4. She's still not 40 pounds and she's not too tall for her car seat, but she seems too old to be in it. Should I move her into a booster seat?
No. Keep her in the car seat until she outgrows the car seats height or weight restrictions. Check the instructions to find this information.

My son is already 40 pounds and he's only 3. Is he too small for a booster seat?
No. He has outgrown his car seat and is ready for a booster. But check the weight limit of your car seat. Some models are designed for children larger than 40 pounds.

What if my child is too tall for a car seat but doesn't weigh enough for a booster seat?
There are combination car seat/booster seats available. The high-back booster seat is for the taller than average child and can be used as a car seat and then as a booster seat. There are different models available. Always check the height and weight limits of a booster before you buy in order to get the right seat for your child.

Even with a booster seat, the seat belt still cuts into my child's neck and he tucks it behind his arm. Is this okay? What can I do about this?
Putting a seat belt behind the arm can result in disabling injuries. Keep a soft cloth in the car and place it underneath the seat belt on the child's neck.

You may have seen products in stores that claim to adjust the seat belts for kids or adults so that it does not cut into the neck. Safe Kids Canada does not recommend these products. They have not been tested for safety by Transport Canada. They do not have to meet any standards and could prevent the seat belt from working properly in a crash.

I don't have the instructions for my booster seat. What should I do?
Call the manufacturer to have new instructions sent to you. If you need help locating the manufacturer, call Transport Canada's Road Safety Directorate at 1-800-333-0371 (Ottawa region, 613-998-8616).

Can I use a second-hand booster seat? My friend gave one to me.
Make sure it is not older than 10 years. Check the label on the booster seat; some seats can only be used for six years. Make sure the seat hasn't been in a crash, make sure all parts are in good condition, and make sure you have the instructions.

Can I use a booster seat I bought in the United States?
No. American booster seats and car seats have different safety standards.