Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Enough of the fluff? OK, no fluff here.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unk--

Couldn't agree with you more about the immigration problem. One of the few pols that I know who is taking it seriously is Congressman Tom Tancredo--

http://www.house.gov/tancredo/Immigration/

But there is much resistance. The Republicans like the cheap labor provided by illegal immigrants; the Democrats see the them as a source of votes and the goo-goos think that America is morally required to help who ever comes a-knockin'.

I am not a nativist nor a xenophobe nor an isolationist but I DO think that there should be a time-out of 10-20 years on most legal immigration and a total prevention mode on illegal immigration. The time-out would enable us to peacefully absorb those immigrants that we already have.

The issue to me is American cultural integrity and citizen safety. The US is a sovereign nation. We have the right and responsibility to control our own borders and immigrant population. Immigration is a vital source of new ideas and energy. But it also be can deadly.

Yes, we are all products of immigration, even Native Americans. All immigrants came voluntarily except Africans although I doubt if many African-Americans would care to return to Africa, even if that were an option.

Emma Lazarus wrote a nice little poem but it is not a part of the US Constitution. We have no responsibility to accept all the world's huddled masses.

As a Libertarian, I'm sure you realize the irony that some Libertarians have, for years, advocated an "open borders" policy. The open-borders idea is typical of how, IMO, Libertarians are sometimes Utopian.

Inactive Member Peter Errington's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very good, Lars! I agree a thousand percent.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lars, I've had the pleasure of reading your common sense input on various issues for years now. You sir, are a voice of reason in a sea of babble. I would take more time with this post but I'm booked up this week, with interviewing the few hundred Islamics I missed last week.

Be well and continue to give us your wisdom.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am humbled Peter. Thanks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Non-fluff? Doan know about that, mostly I think we're dying.

Dying as a forum that is. Things are born, they live, and then they die. It has been my distinct pleasure and honor to have chewed the issues with you all, and also with those who have chosen to move on. I ain't goin anywhere, I need a place to post my occasional rants and foamy mouthed fits.

Plus, this personal shrine to myself needs the odd polishing and waxing now and then, eh Z?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh, to Lars,

Yeah, I agree. Tis but part of the reason I let my Lib Party membership expire. The other part is the stance that ALL drugs must be legalized. Hell guys, put your effort into Mary-Jane first, then, when the world doesn't come to an end you can worry about addressing the rest of the drug war insanity. Can't eat a whale all in one bite, ya gotta start by chewing off little chunks. They don't seem to get that, which leaves me wondering where to invest my political energies...

*big Di Squire sigh*

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I second the legalization of pot. If the government were smart, they would legalize it, control it, and sell it. It would do wonders for coffers they complain about being low. Hell, make all revenue from the pot sales mandatorily input into social security...

Scratchin' an itch...

The Dog

Inactive Member Jack Booted Thug's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor=""><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They don't seem to get that, which leaves me wondering where to invest my political energies...
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unk,

Invest your energies by running for office. Put your time where your mouth is. Make a difference, even if it is only as a county supervisor or whatever they have down in sunny Florida. Just a thought.

[img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unk:

"*big Di Squire sigh* " I know Diane and you are no Diane. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Got to go to Oregon. Understand it is very dry out there. Maybe I will be able to see Mt. Hood for a change.

Best Wishes,,,,,

Z

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am twice 'umbled, Soc. I am indeed a very 'umble (and smarmy) man.

What's happening to this forum---are we going non-fluffy?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast