Thread: Unk, funny that you should mention car sales.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That is what I have to do this coming week; buy one. My criteria are probably different. My primary concern is the service I receive over the next 4 years. I have had good luck with one dealer; so that is where I buy cars. I think I confuse the sales people because I go in and say this is the car I want and go get it. This is actually my wife's car so she did go in and drive one. She is getting another Ford Explorer. This will be the third one we have had.

I don't have much faith in reports such as Consumer Reports. Their bias is different than mine. I am a smaller car person. Two years ago when I replaced my car, I drove a number of models. I didn't want another BMW; they are great, but I couldn't take those $400 dollar regular visits; made no sense to me. I tried Honda, Toyota, Subaru, etc. Toyota is very reliable; but, as some wit said, they have perfected the suspension and handling of the 1956 Buick Roadmaster. That was my impression. I liked the Subaru, but the manual transmission was very notchy. Too big of a come down from a BMW. That is why I bought a Focus. Feels like a BMW [of course they designed the transmission] without the cost.

A good salesman is a prize, but an honest service department is even better. I will go in on Tuesday, give him a vehicle ID and drive away. I am too busy to look around.

Good Luck.

Best Wishes,,,,,,

Z

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"I will go in on Tuesday, give him a vehicle ID and drive away. I am too busy to look around."

Ahhh, what's known in the bidness as a "laydown" heehee!

Just kidding Z. I'm sure that big brain types such as yourself negotiate relentlessly. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyhow, good choice, on both counts. The '03 Explorer is a super nice car, ditto the Focus...BTW, if you aren't driving the new Focus SVT you are really missing something, that lil thing is a real screamer, right out of the box. Downright zippy!

Oh, yeah, I am selling Fords. I was once a GM man, but that old '86 F-250 really clued me in to what a REAL vehicle could do, and how long it could last. (I sold it along with my bidness. It had just a tad under 200,000 miles on it, and the new owner still uses it every day)

Anyhoo...

I like the job

I like the product

I like the energy of dealing with the public

but...

just between you, me, and the fence post the hours might drive me out of the bidness. I got no life...none, and I am a guy who loves life.

BTW, Z, lemme tell ya what a great deal I could get ya...(for you Z, and you alone, I could go $3000.00 under invoice, yeah, three grand under, since you're a friend, but only til the end of the month, then the rebate funds may go POOF, and if they go POOF I cannot do that for ya, but call me tommorrow and I will send you home 3 grand under invoice, just 'cause you are one of my buds)

I don't know how far you are willing to travel, but it's a hell of a deal, no shit, LOL.

Go ahead, try me.

Email me if you want such a deal, on the way back you can brag to everyone how it was such a good deal it was worth driving home from Florida. Plus I hear there is some decent scenery between here and the Pacific Northwest.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh, one more thing.

IF...you decide to go for it, and take me up on my more than generous offer, I like my steak med-rare, and my beer ice cold, you're buying.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unk:

Thank you for the offer. But I don't think so [though here in the beef capital of the country we can always burn a high quality steak for you if you appear]. I have been able to set aside two hours to go to the dealership and sign the papers on Wed. I have a PhD exam on Friday and have set Thur aside to read a 500 page thesis. I have meetings on Sat cause we have a security check with the FBI and CDC coming the week of 12 May 03. Starting Sunday, I have to meet a job candidate [I am in charge of handling this hiring; someone coming from Duke]. That interview will last thru Wed. Of course I am also teaching; 40 h per week for 3 hr of lecture for advance grad courses. Then, I have to get the committee together on the week of 12 May 03 to decide who to hire. Then I have to work this decision thru the faculty and the administration, while I deal with this security check. I have to get this done quick, because I have to fly to Oregon.

Nope, no time to go to Florida to get a car. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Best Wishes,,,,,,

Z

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey UNK!!!

Unkie!!!

Dear old boy ...

Do Ford Aerostar vans have transmissions that will last at least 100K miles?

I really need to know.
    [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Helen:

I'm sure that Unk can give you a better reply; but you have mine now cause I have to leave.

IMHO I would not consider an Aerostar. It is poorly designed and not all that safe. As to the transmission, the following problems have been reported:

Transmission: Fwd/Rev engagement concern, AXOD, AXOD-E, AX4S, 1995 Windstar (94-24-7,94-20-9); A/T - Increase in RPM on light throttle 2-3 upshift, 1990-92 Aerostar (93-14-21); Low transaxle fluid level, 1995 Windstar (94-26-7); Shift lever PRNDL position may not match gears, 1992-93 Aerostar (93-5-14); ATF leak under middle or center of van, 1990-91 Aerostar (92-11-14); Fluid in clutch housing,1988-91 Aerostar (91-18-14); Grinding when shifting w/ M50D Mazda R1 & R2,1988-91 Aerostar (91-18-11); Poor retaining ring retention, 1990-91 Aerostar (91-17-11); M50D Hard shift cond.,1988-91 Aerostar (91-10-15); A/T floor shifter binding or misaligned,1986-90 Aerostar (91-11-19); Torque converter replacement guidelines, 1993-97 Aerostar, 1995-97 Windstar (96-26-12): Transfer case leaks, 1993-95 Aerostar (95-10-12); Rear axle whine or howl, 1993-96 Aerostar (96-17-22).

I don't think they are unreliable, just that sometimes they fail. The same transmission was used in the following vehicles and they have a stellar record of reliability.

Ford

Explorer 1991-97
    Ranger 1988-97

Mazda

B2300 1994-97
    B3000 1994-97
    B4000 1994-97
    Navajo 1991-94

Later versions are also similar to those in other Ford products like Volvo and Range Rover. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the transmission; handling, safety and braking are much better in the Windstar.

Maybe, Unk will give you another answer.

Best Wishes,,,,,

Z

Inactive Member Peter Errington's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When I fly out to Iowa to visit my Mother, I rent a car at Des Moines Airport. This last time, two weeks ago, I got a Focus, which I really liked.

I told this to my brother the car nut, and he said yes the Focus has gotten very good press, but it also has had recalls up the wazoo.

For what that's worth.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LOL, the international language of auto sales.

I have a friend from Germany. For many years he owned a Mercedes dealership here. Now he owns an artsy furniture store. If I am in there, looking at an over-priced Eames chair (or whatever), he will usually say in a heavy accent "Lars, just for you I'll take off 20%".

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Couple of quickies,

Yes Lars, he might take 20% off...of what?

My offer, pardon me, my out of the ordinary most generous offer to Z was $3000.00 below invoice, invoice being a set price from Ford. Not some "I'll give ya 20% off of an item that I've marked up by 60%" bogus offer.

Helen, love,

If you have owned it since it was new and it has been good to you... you are probably OK. But don't buy a used one expecting to get 100k miles. Aerostar was not (IMHO) one of Ford's best efforts, AND although many of them run and run and run, I, myself, wouldn't bet the bank on it.

Peter,

Correct. However, recalls from Ford on the Focus are WAY down, the problems are ironed out. Hell, it's really a pretty nice little car. In fact, safety recalls from Ford are down some 80%, testimony to the fact that Ford really is setting it's sights on being a world class auto builder.

But overall...I don't build 'em. I just have always had super good vehicles from Ford, ones than ran well, and long. I cannot stand here and say that there is nothing in the world that is built better, nor, will I stand here and say that everything else is worse. Ford builds a quality car. Period. The value built into their cars is equal to any other car builder. I truly believe that, or I wouldn't be where I am.

You could double my commissions to sell Dodge and I wouldn't do it. It's not for nothing that Dodge now has a 7/70,000 warranty. It's because folks were getting pissed because they would fall apart after 50-60 thousand miles.

I've owned a total of seven Ford cars/SUVs/trucks. One went 200k miles before I sold it and it is still being used for work every day by the new owner. A few of the others have gone to, or close to, the century mark and have been problem free. Mrs D is driving a new 03 Expedition, and I am driving a 98 Expedition with 80k miles...I guess I put my money where my mouth is.

Hmmm...so much for a short answer, lol.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Z and Unk.

For the record, I despise my Dodge and will never buy another.