Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We gotta do it Lon. George One let it slide because more than a lot of the 104 nation coalition insisted and he let them. Never liked him anyway. Do like his kid...so far. Cept for that dividend tax cut thing but that's a diffrent thread.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm going through another kind of "Is it just me?" train of thought, Lon. *I*'m wondering how in the hell I ever got mixed up with a bunch of doomers and survivalists in the first place.

It seems like all the familiar forums of the past five years have posters that I just don't understand, although they're the same posters that have been there all along.

Somebody please explain to me WHY folks are PREPPING. Did we prep during the Vietnam War? Did we prep during the FIRST gulf war? "Heads UP! ALERT!" Someone coughs in the ME and folks are out buying KI and decontamination suits. WHY?
    Why should I buy more apple sauce? Why would ANYONE want 48 lbs. of butter? Have you eaten the rice/beans from 2000 yet, Helen? We ate and used everything *I* bought for that time frame, and I just can't get whipped up about ANOTHER catastrophe or an ONGOING catastrophe that would even encourage me to buy more than a month's worth of stuff. For WHAT, I ask?

If a suitcase nuke lands on my house, I die! [What are the odds of that happening?] There comes a time, methinks, where we need to just say, "Fuck it. If we die, we die. What will be will be. Pass the mashed potatos, and let's have sex again before the war starts."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sex and mashed potatoes? Now THAT'S kinky! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Inactive Member Tricia the Canuck's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rats!!! I was hoping we'd all just shut up and then Lon would give us some more poetry, now I have to wait [img]frown.gif[/img]

Anita, I've come to the conclusion that there are doomers who were pessimists hoping that the world would end and that there were doomers who were hoping that the world wouldn't end. The ones who hoped the world would end are still hoping that it will. The rest of us have gotten on with living. I won't let my larder get as low as pre-1999 again, though. Reading about the ice-storm in central Canada taught me about that. Then there's the fact that our public health chief medical officer thinks that having 3 to 6 months of supplies is a good idea if you can afford it - because we're now overdue for a huge 'flu epidemic. He says that there will be big problems with transportation if half the population is ill, as it was in the 1918 epidemic. Of course, he's paid to be a pessimist :-) I'd rather be an optimist (with a back up plan) :-D

Aunt Bee, I'll save my invite for hot chocolate for sometime when I really need it. Right now I've got a chocolate stash building for Valentine's day. And since I don't want to slide back into the pits, I think I'll take my chocolate just a gram at time :-)

Mule, be adventurous, eat your hat and get a new one!

As for the original topic, being a Canadian, I reserve the right to make nasty comments about any and all Canadian politicians and to laugh with quiet superiority at all foreign politians (grateful that they're not ours!).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No Pammy, it's only kinky if you mash your taters DURING sex.

Well, I didn't really want a fight, but I did want some of you to talk to me again, so I'm pleased that I got a few replies. Anita, I don't know what to say. I really didn't know we were supposed to be prepping again. I'm always the last to get invited to anything. We gave most of our Y2K stuff to the food bank, ate a lot, and still have some Spam left (oh joy!). I guess like Trish said, some of us are still hoping for the EOTWAWKI, while others see an unspoken promise in the future. But I'm all for sex one more time, with or without potatoes (for those of you who are on low carb diets).

Anyway, the sun is shining on the bayou today, and I can just hear the fish calling my name. But, I am glad some of you stopped by this thread, and I hope we can have some discussions again. I have learned a lot from each of the forum members here, and always look forward to each new posting, even Pammy's.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anita, why did you wind up with us?

It was God's will.

Isn't that a neat answer? Covers everything, including a nuke in your panty drawer.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sex and nukes and mashed potatoes. Hold the gravy.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Figure they prep casuse they don't know what else to do Anita. Some have to have a gremmie I guess. Been good for me though. Living within 15 miles of what every geo type sez is most prime for a 7-8+ figure my neighbors may appreciate my efforts if it happens. Personally I figure that with any luck at all, when the BIG one actually shows up my only intrest will be getting my grave rattled. A little tossing. That's good. Back hurts when being in the same position too long anyway.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anita:

Who knows? Carlos may be correct. My observation has been that many of these sites are populated by people who have no influence in their communities [or even their families]. These actions and responses on the boards make them feel like they have some control and are doing something. They are being accepted.

As I said, I haven't followed that board since I was booted off by Ed and Chuck. I have looked in a few times in the last week. Some of the posters actually provide valid information. Canada Sue [whoever that is] would be one. Much of the other stuff is crap. Question: why does Dennis try to hide his warnings? They are immediately posted on many sites on the web. Apparently, they are posted as jokes. His original warning sounds like it was written by a high school student. No one who knew what they were talking about would have written that.

I don't travel around for fun. I hate traveling. I have been meeting with people doing contingency planning for terrorist attacks. You know learning stuff. e.g.: It is possible to protect yourself by creating a safe room. You could protect your house by shrink wrapping it; not by putting plastic over the windows and doors; especially for a chemical weapons attack. This is the same problem exhibited in 1999. The inability to distinguish between contingency plans [worst case is planned for] and what is likely.

Not a prepper or an LDS'er, but I have a years worth of food. I bought a whole lamb from a farmer and it is frozen. I have 1/2 hog and some beef; also frozen. We raise most of our fruit and veggies [canned]. Got a 3.5 a pond for water. If I need fresh meat; yesterday there were 50 turkey's and 10 deer eating the corn I put out. Pond is full of fish. Some of the bass are well over 10 pounds. When you live in a rural area, that is the way you live. It isn't prepping it is a way of life. I could never move back to a city [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Best Wishes,,,,,

Z

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why Lon! - YEou lily-livered, Skelton-swillin', Kovacks-kissin' reprobate!!!

He was yer gubner, why the heck didn' ya keep him down on the farm? Shoot!
    {no, don't! - It was only a figger of speech, hon}

helen, I still love you madly. Always have, always will. Ever since that awful old pre-rollover thread begun by Decker, where the angry crowd swelled up about your tactical risks delivering food to an elderly or infirm neighbor. All I can remember is that you wrote something to the effect that "I hope they're a good shot", with regards to the 'enemies' in the shadows. What a gal!

Larso, I don't know anything about any kind of civil defense stuff, though I should've heard about it if it were out there. Did see that the fire dept. In Mont. were holding NERT type training in a couple of weeks. The NPGS kid whose paper was pirated by the British is still in the fairly nearby area, and seems to be a level-headed fellow. His biggest concern was the fact that the Brits blew credibility by ripping off old material.

Carlos, I'm glad your surgery has gone so well. Since you have such a great passion for our state bird - I trust you are involved and interested in their future. The numbers have been down for us again on the central coast this year. OT - Do you have any stray feelings or ideas about how the West Nile Virus might play out in CA?

Speaking of strange bios - Z, what the heck are you brewing up these days? You do need a truffle run and a cranberry bog in that hollow you dwell in. What's holding you up, toots?

I've got to run along for a bit, but let me wave a fond hello to everyone else on the forum. What strange days we have traveled through together {& 'Nita's still wearing those same shoes - yet harboring an incredibly rich fantasy life of pedal-pushing-possiblities. Yeow! Got moleskin in yer preps?!}

flora

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast