Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The last good RPG made was FFIII/VI. That was Epic. I to find myself becoming one of these " NU Gamer" types and I can't figure things out for myself. WIth the GBA Metroid games I'm lookin at maps and I hate it yet I still do it. Hell playing SOTN I was lookin at a map but only ot find all the rooms to get 200.6% of the map and to find 1 piece of Alucard's starting items. I hate the internets! They did this to me!
    EDIT: I loved Duck Tales. I only ebat it once. Goddamned Count Duckula was a bitch when you are like 6 or 7 trying to beat it

<font color="#C0C0C0" size="1">[ March 23, 2007 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Volrath the fallen Evincar ]</font>

HB Forum Owner kerbythepurplecow's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, gamefaqs makes me give up much more readily than I would without it.

However, the last good rpg was actually Dragon Quest 8. It was so old school. The story was a bit weak, but that's pretty much how rpgs work when you get down to it. (with the exception of ffvi).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't know. The moment I played and finished FF7 I pretty much put down the whole RPG thing until I picked up and played Valkire Profile. Other than that I havn't played once since

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you played and liked the old DQ's back in the day then you'd like DQ8. It's great. It's such a throw back that I expected to have to open a menu to use stairs or open a door.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I played some of them. Eh, RPGs just arn't my thing any more. I stick with rockin the old school Castlevania games like Super Castlevania. Now that game is fucking epic

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know not everyone will agree with this, but I will stand by my arguement that Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are the best RPGs ever made. They were some of the VERY few games that paid attention to tiny details and still produced and epic story. Hell in BG1 you only reach level 7 and it feels like no story could be more epic.

I compare every RPG to the BG series and so far the only one to come close is NWN2 for story, but nothing has come close to the fun and difficulty ratio in those games. Even BioWare said that there will never be another game like BG due to time and money contraints. Its just too hard to build a game that good.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Baldur's Gate was sooooooooo slow. OMG! Look, I'm running at 1/4 feet per second! Plus the rest of the part seemed incompetent at fighting on their own. But, it's a PC RPG. PC RPGs and console RPGs are world's apart. It's like the difference between Eastern and Western (console) RPGs. It's a vast gap.

I would contend that Planeshift:Torment (of which you still have my copy) is the best PC RPG ever. That was the shit. Much like BG, it did have a hell of a story. But, I felt like I was doing less micro-management. And, the character actually moved at a decent clip. I don't want every journey to feel like a trip through the vast oceans of Wind Waker.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by kerbythepurplecow:
    Duck Tales was awesome! Instead of a generic cash in, it was actually really good.

Easier and easier games piss me off. I've grown accustomed to them as well. Sometimes I find myself bitching about a game's difficulty. Then I simply remind myself of playing Ghouls 'n Goblins or R-type and it's all better. Game difficulty today is pretty much a joke. Compare FF1(NES) to FF1(GBA). It's an amazing difference. I remember having a decently difficult time on the NES. It was actually challenging. The remake was a pathetic push-over. Compare Dragon Warrior 1 to any newer RPG. That thing was masocistic. But what a worthwhile game.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dude, saying DW1 is masocistic is and HUGE understatement! That game was designed to burn massive amount of training time. and it's on of my favorite games ever. now I heard that ff1 didn't have that big of a difficulty drop. did you go through those shrines you can go to after the main dungeon? those added a nice challenge I thought.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by jrr:
    I know not everyone will agree with this, but I will stand by my arguement that Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are the best RPGs ever made. They were some of the VERY few games that paid attention to tiny details and still produced and epic story. Hell in BG1 you only reach level 7 and it feels like no story could be more epic.

I compare every RPG to the BG series and so far the only one to come close is NWN2 for story, but nothing has come close to the fun and difficulty ratio in those games. Even BioWare said that there will never be another game like BG due to time and money contraints. Its just too hard to build a game that good.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i'm with you on this one jason, I LOVE the BG series. if it weren't for those games, I never would have started playing D&D. I've played the crap out of BG1&2. two of my favorite games of all time. mos def. no contest.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also the Metroid games. Those have never been big sellers for Nintendo and yet one of them is called one of the greatest games of all time and I like to agree with that