Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

10 part 2 duals are spoiled

I know Abe is gonna hate that I'm linking this, but I think he'll like that it's showing the rules changes pending. Actually, it's a Wizards article, so he won't hate it after all and has probably already giggled about the new duals.

Magic 2010 Rules Changes : Daily MTG : Magic: The Gathering

on a side note, I want the old Ball Lightning art back...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 10 part 2 duals are spoiled

What kind of bullshit is this... "Enters the battefield..." And the wording on the new Ball Lightning sounds stupid too....
    -Chad

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree, though I don't mind "Exile" as much. The "Battlefield" thing is just plain dumb. A LAND is going to now "Enter the battlefield"? In some decks, there is no "battle" to "field"! I would have liked "Plane" better. It works with all your decks, lands, etc. We're supposed to be PLANESWALKERS, no? The mana burn removal is dumb. The removal of combat tricks is dumb. Overall, the changes have DUMBED DOWN MAGIC so that the Yughioh players can understand it. Meh. If it's an issue of Magic's survival ... maybe ... but if this is just some "We want to make more profits NOW" thing, then they've just risked killing a healthy game.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm fine with a lot of it, like Exile and Enters the battlefield. Personally, I think counter as a noun and as a verb needed work.

I do not like the loss of Mana Burn.

Token ownership annoys me a bit but I can deal.

I liked Damage on the Stack from 6th, it was very clever as an addition and change from the damage prevention PHASE that existed previously, and this goes too far in my opinion. Plus, I think ordering creatures will take too long.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I dont think I will ever play competitive Magic ever again. The whole loss of the stack makes attacking so mindless.
    -Chad

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think the changes to combat are gonna irk me for a while. At the same time, they did make a good argument for how it doesn't make sense. Especially with their unsummon type example of a thing that isn't there anymore dealing damage. I would've liked an example shown where things on either side had first strike and double strike just to show how it interacts with their whole ordering and such.

The ordering blockers thing doesn't seem that different than it works now really at least in practice, it just puts more formality into it. When I attack with something into double block or even more, I tend to kind of order the way I want them to die anyway mentally. It doesn't seem that different to me because of that.

Just to poke your pride Abe, there's a face book group petitioning Wizards to keep mana burn intact.

The enters the battlefield thing to me is actually a good thing. I started the game way back before Visions (seems like forever ago to some people). At the time I saw the old rule books where they described the scenario the game was supposed to take place in. It was something about two planeswalkers battling over control of a plane or something like that. So having my Serra Avatar enter the battlefield makes sense. Having an island doesn't, because it was supposed to be memories of that place being used (at least that's how the novels explained that one). I think from a flavor standpoint changing the wording to cast (vs. play) and battlefield (vs. in play) are good for separating the two things for people.

HB Forum Owner kerbythepurplecow's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm on the same page as Abe. I don't like the loss of mana burn. That's an old rule they're taking away. Mana burn is very ingrained in the game. Plus I really like Spectral Searchlight.

Token ownership is a bit silly. The change feels wrong to me, but it's just a small nit pick.

Sigh. Damage not using the stack pretty much kills combat tricks. I love(d) combat tricks. Now I am a sad panda.
    *mooooooooo*

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The game really is just getting dumbed down for no real good reason. The wording changes are fine, whatever, but the rules changes really just annoy me. I don't like seeing things that differentiated good and bad players being taken away. The next step is to remove the 'randomness of shuffleing' because "random is bad for our younger players" or something like that.
    -JRR

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So now that we've got the set in our hands (or at least some of us do) thoughts? I'm not too keen on some of it and liking some other things like sign in blood and rise from the grave. I'm not sold on the "new duals", but they are certainly an upgrade from the invasion ones.