0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Abe's New CCG

The problem of expansions.

Hostiles are a real problem.

There are so many thousands of hostiles out there that your are going to have a long time before you run out. There are 753 episodes of Dr. Who, 27 of Torchwood, 21 of Sarah Jane Adventures, 1 K9 and Company, Dr Who Infinite Quest, plus more coming out all of the time. They've just agreed to do another animated Dr. Who like Infinite Quest. These are the canonical stuff, then you have spin offs, webcasts, etc.

You have so many hostiles you could choke a horse.

The problem is this:

Expansion Sets will have plenty of space for extra allies, equipment and so forth. They will be tight on hostiles.

After the Time Lords set, I expect that every set gets a few more Manifestations. Perhaps a Borusa, perhaps a Meddling Monk, perhaps a Drax, perhaps a Maxil, perhaps a Susan, perhaps a War Chief, perhaps a new Master manifesation, etc. I'll dole them out carefully, a few to each set after The Time Lords.

I can add new equipment, new allies, whatever I want to round out my sets. The problem is this:

I cannot add new Hostiles easily.

In my first set, I am giving people a taste. It would not be acceptable to have a set without Davros a few daleks, even though I am planning most of them to be in Dalek Assault It would not be acceptable to not have a few Cybermen even though I plan to do more the next set.

What I initially planned to do was to push a few aliens in this set with a nice tribal feel. Sontarans, Autons, Ice Warriors and Ood. I never really felt the Ice Warriors in this set, so although I built some cards, I moved them to #5 set. As I pulled out beats and demons, robots and Ice Warriors, I kept adding Sontarans. My initial plan was to have a few Sontarans, then trickle them in slowly. Now I am at one Sontaran ship, one planent, one equipment, one action and six Hostiles. I can;t add too many more before I turn this into a Sontaran mini-set.

I want to add things to the se,t but I need my first set to feel like a clash of titans, the heavy hitter from all Dr. Who-dom, and not just a few species and a few random cards.

Of course, if I really pushed Sontarans, I'd have a ton of Sontaran ships and many more Hostiles. But I don;t want to push my first set that much, and Sontarans don;t fit into the other sets.

Well, that's where I am, right now. How much do I push Sontarans? what else comes out or goes in, with the understanding that Hostiles that don;t have their own set are not going to get published for a while.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have removed Caw, Drathro, Myrka, Karfelian Android and War machines from the set for the later Beasts and Bots set.

I added a few hostiles included Vervoids and I am adding a Plant keyword for things.

Since I added plants for Vervoids, I added Jabe as an ally to give me at least two plants for the first set.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

More sample cards:

mobileoilrig

vervoid

battleformation

androzaniminor

androzanimajor

leela

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

These are currently my 15 Celestial Rares:

The Rani
    Master, Degenerated
    The Black Guardian
    The White Guardian
    Hand of Omega
    Davros
    Capt. Jack Harkness
    Move Zanak Against Them
    Resurrection Gauntlet
    Uvodni Warship
    Zanak
    Gen. Uvlavad Kudlak
    Enlightener's Harbor
    Brigg's Freighter
    Wirrn Hatching

This includes:

5 Hostiles
    2 Allies
    2 Equipment
    1 Planet
    2 Ships
    1 Station
    2 Actions

For a nice and even 15 Celestial Rares. These are the equivalent of Super Rares or Ultra Rares or Mythic Rares

HB Forum Owner kerbythepurplecow's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would like to spend more time replying to this thread but lack the time/game design expertise, and doctor who expertise necessary to make me feel capable of providing valuable insights.
    *mooooooooo*

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Due to title issues mentioned above, the play cost has been moved to where the expansion symbol is normally located. Because of this change, Companion is being moved from the type line to the trait line.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Early run at Fs in rarity:

7 TARDIS cards:

Rani;s
    Master's
    Master's 2nd One
    Medding Monks
    SIDRAT
    Doctor's
    Prof. Chronotis's

10 Manifestations

15 base planets:

Clom,Titan, Xeros
    Myarr, Mars, Usurius
    Adipose 3, Midnight, Argolis
    Karfel, Sense Sphere, Mechanus
    Chloris, Ribos, Volag-Nok

That's 33 cards out of 200 that are F. We have 15 Celestial rares, leaving me just 152 cards for the other commonalities. (R,U,C)

is that enough?

Let's do 12 CRs instead of 15, and then we have 51 cards at each normal rarity.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I actually have 207 cards now, so we'll have more rares and uncommons, and not an even dispersal.

Commons:

Ambush Anti-Mattered Auton Mannequin Battle Formation Capt. Mike Yates Cameleon Circuit Commander Linx Contemplating the Future Contemplating the Past Contemplating the prsent
    Cybus Cyberman Drone Dalek Drahvin Spaceship Electrical Fire First Aid Kit Giant Fly Gwen Cooper Importance of Others Ixta Missle battery
    Noble Sacrifice Ood Servant Reconnected Ood Optera Perception Filter Platform One Probe Ship Satellite beacon Sontaran Scout Ship Star Charts
    Stegosaurus Stasis TARDIS Attacked! tegana terraforming Device Under Attack! UNIT Troopers Unmasked Varl Vrestin
    W3 - The Wheel Weevil Wirrn Breeding Colony Wirrn Warrior Zeta Minor Zoe Heriot Pyrovilia Kastria Great Seal of Diplos Karra

Uncommons:

Adric Alone in a Crowd Alpha Centauri Androzani Minor Androzani Major Auton Doll Broken Circuit Cheetah World Cloaking Field Confuse a Time Lord Traken Ood Sphere
    Critas's Trireme Cybus Cyber-Leader Dalek Saucer Dalek Saucer Commander Dr. harry Sullivan Duggan Dulkis Spaceship Dying Around Him Field Major Styre Food machine Varos
    Grachtian Statue The Karkus Jethrik Group Marshal Stike HADS Hal Healing Water Ian Chesterton Jathaa Sunglider K9 Mk 1 Vervoid
    Terra Alpha LAW Rocket Live by the Blade Martha jones Mobile Oil Rig Nanogenes Orcini Painting the TARDIS Plastic Mickey Polyphase Avitron Zarbi
    Preacher Gun Probability Elimination Prof. Cliff Jones Dr. Grace Holloway Pushed to the Limit Re-Energize Ruse Sarah jane Smith Sontaran Cloning World Surprised Zero Room

Rares:

Earth Enlightener's Harbor Hand of Omega Ace Alternate Timelines Anti-Matter Creature Auton Clone Auton Hypnosis Blue Signet Ring Brig. Lethbridge-Stewart
    The key to Time Calufrax Captain Wrack Cybus Cyber-Controller The Buccaneer Zanak Move Zanak Against Them Engulfing Lava Face of Boe General Staal Jabe Time Scoop
    The Doctor's Toolkit Jamie McCrimmon K1 Robot Spectrox Toxaema Kroll Leela Light Many Faces Meeting Your past MITRE Headset Movellan Spaceship Vortis
    Sontaran Hypnosis Nerva beacon Of Two Minds Ood brain Photonic Missles Planetary Occupation Force Portable Prison Cell Princess Astra Prison Station Prof. Edward Travers Weed Creature
    Space Station Chimera Randomiser Raston warrior Robot Rebellion of the Ood Regeneration Rose Tyler Satellite Five Sector 16 Space Station Shrink TARDIS Skaro Sonic Screwdriver Yvonne hartman

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here is another Who-niverse question of canonicity. What to do with the K9 spinoff show?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-9_(TV_series)

Here is the trailer:

http://www.parkentertainment.com/Cat...-Promo/K9.html

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In case you were wondering what the new incarnation looked like in my game: