Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Invincible Hymn - Eight mana to set your life to 200 or 220. Totally worth it.

Tezzeret the Seeker - Unless he is banned, which some are calling for, he is absolutely worth playing.

Flameblast Dragon - It is worth increasing our Red creature count instead of constantly pulling out red creatures for red creatures? This guy can swing at one person, then Blaze kill another. Then next turn you can swing at one person, then Blaze someone or somethign else, each turn. Very strong, but he's no Slogger or Knollspine. Is it time to add to our Red instead of replacing our Red?

Bant Charm - Answers Akroma the White, Darksteel and every targetable creature in between, destroys any artifact, or counters an instant. Solid.

Hellkite Overlord - Totally worth playing, the Akroma of Dragons.

Jund Charm - This is the good charm. Instant Pyroclasm, and we saw how good Pyroclasm was this past weekend, instant Tormod's Crypt which is great since the Essentials has such little gfraveyard removal, or combat trick with a permanent effect. All good.

Sarkhan Vol - The other good Planeswalker from the set. Good enough?

Wooly Thoctar - If you can;t figure out why a THREE mana 5/4 is playable in the deck, then perhaps you need to reassess the nature of the mana curve concept in Magic. Can the deck's amazing mana base (according to Aaron) handle it?

Panormas - I like the fetchs. Get this, you can get any combination of mana with the tri fetches except one, allowing you to fix two colors instead of one. How many times have i had a Badland sin play and got the red/black fetch, and I can only fix one color of mana instead of two. Now I can get the B?U?R one and fix blue and white at the same time. Plus they tap for mana and do not CIP, so they dont slow you down and you can fetch as needed.

Tri CIP - I like these a lot, and if the deck didnt have so many duels and fetches and such, these would get the nod.

Anyway, those are the cream of the crop from the set, as far as I can see. Discussion begins now.

HB Forum Owner kerbythepurplecow's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sure, sure, let's just auto-include the two $30 cards right off the bat [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

I don't know if Tezz's usefulness will be as apparent with the essentials. Get him out, and for 0 you've got chrome, diamond, and crystal (and the artifact lands were I to have them in). Going with 1 gets you Sol Ring, Scroll Rack, Clamp. 2 is fellwar, Jitte.
    The untapping ability works nicely with things like the mana artifacts, but diamond doesn't work without a land in hand, chrome requires imprint. The other thing he does is make the high cost artifacts into crazy death machines.
    Don't get me wrong, I think Tezz is highly abusable, I'm just not sure that he would be so in this deck.
    A deck with deck built to abuse him, one with more artifacts relevant to his ability, a combo deck, perhaps one of those....

Invincible Hymn..... really?! Leave that in the wishboard.

FB Dragon - Agreed, worth looking into

Bant Charm - True, solid. The essentials mana base can surely support it. Do we want to start supporting cards in the essentials that require many colors of colored mana? It's hard to say whether a regular deck may be able to support it. Since the essentials is an ideal to strive towards, that is also akin to supporting a push towards an essentials mana base. Which is fine, but is in a completely different league than pushing striving towards the non-land ideals in the deck.

Hellkite Overlord - *see bant charm* Also, that's a lot of stuff on a stick for 8 mana. Definitely great for the price. Curve examination? Creature review?

Jund Charm - *see bant again* I like that this features a set of abilities that I'm not sure are represented many, if any, places elsewhere in the essentials.

Sarkhan - good question, I'm not sure either

Wooly Thoctar - *see bant charm, then forget about that* yeppers, agreed

Panoramas - fetch basics. No thanks.

Tri-taps - exactly.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sarkhan Vol - I'd take the +1/+1 and haste every turn for 4 mana. The Threaten is aslo nice. The 4 4/4 flying dragons is a bomb in standard. I don't know if that's that great in multiplayer or 5C. We'll see how it tests ...

Sedris, the Traitor King - No mention of this guy? Get a sacrifice outlet and break 187 creatures in half? I just wish Unearth was instant speed ... but that'd be just silly.

Scourglass - Another Disk variant ... but it hits planeswalkers, not artifacts ... maybe?

Invincible Hymn - Abe suggesting lifegain?!? What?!? Did I just hear that? lol. I know gaining 200+ (in Abe's case 1200+) life for 8 mana is great. I'd probably play around with it at least and see how it works out.

Mycoloth - REALLY good if you have creatures to devour. See Sarkhan Vol.

Skullmuncher - Green card draw? May not be essentials, but c'mon ... you can draw 10 cards with this guy (with green's wonton token gen) for 5 mana in GREEN!

Kederekt Leviathan - You have a 5/5 beatstick. They're wide open. Yeah it's 8 mana. That sucks. It DOES unearth ...

Tezzeret the Seeker - I like the search aspects WAY better than the other abilitis. Untapping 2 artifacts isn't bad either. Solid.

Flameblast Dragon - This is just a flat out BOMB. I watched it go broken at the release. Just imagine what it could do with an essentials manabase/accel! Swing, deal 5 to plaer A, KILL player B. Swing deal 5 to player A, KILL player C. Continue till victory.

Vicious Shadows - Interesting, no? People will be getting Hellbent ASAP if this hits. See any creature with Devour. Notice it doesn't care whose creature or whose graveyard. %&^# 7 mana tho ...

Minion Reflector - The creature mirari. See 187 creatures of happiness and joy.

Quietus Spike - See Invincible Hymn

Elspeth, Knight-Errant - Definately isn's bad. His bomb is quite good. Wrath of god = I win at that point.

Woolly Thoctar - A 5/4 for three mana? No drawback?

Fleshbag Marauder - Yay new CIP creature! Not essentials, no ... but I likie!

Thorn-Thrash Viashino - This guy gets stupid in a hurry. Helped me take 1st in the prerelease. Stomped a guy with a 20/20 trampler game 1. Stomped him with a 24/24 trampler game 2.

*Prerelease side note*

Having the Thorn-Thrash with Hissing Iguanar, Rockslide Elemental, Goblin Assault, and multiple dragon fodders was great. Resolving a Soul's Might was H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S!

<font color="#C0C0C0" size="1">[ October 01, 2008 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Haddix.dec ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font size="1">psst..... 187</font>

<font color="#C0C0C0" size="1">[ September 30, 2008 11:21 AM: Message edited by: kerbythepurplecow ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We might want to put the Tri-taps in because the deck is meant to guide peopel to a good deck, and they won;t have all of the duels that others have.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by TheAbe:
    We might want to put the Tri-taps in because the deck is meant to guide peopel to a good deck, and they won;t have all of the duels that others have.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do not agree. Should we pull duals to favor Invasion CIP lands? Spitting Image for Clone? We shouldn't degrade the quality of the deck to show people the alternative available should they not have access to the best stuff.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just ran both 250's with some new additions in Tuesday group. Thorny is as good if not better than expected so far. Again quickly became a player-killer and stomped face. Happens post decree with flare out tho. Makes Rise of the Hobgobs that much better too. Resounding Thunder was pretty ok. Nice to cycle it EOT for a kill and a card. Don't think it's essentials, but it's 250 worthy. Lotsa stuff in Shards that will make my Chaos 250 I think ... not so much Essentials. Didn't see much else of what little Shards in the deck so far ... will continue to tinker!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Current list for reference:

Name

Bosh, Iron Golem
    Cauldron of Souls
    Chrome Mox
    Darksteel Colossus
    Etched Oracle
    Fellwar Stone
    Gilded Lotus
    Masticore
    Memory Jar
    Mind's Eye
    Mox Crystal
    Mox Diamond
    Nevinyrral's Disk
    Planar Portal
    Scroll Rack
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Skullclamp
    Sol Ring
    Solemn Simulacrum
    Sword of Fire and Ice
    Sunforger
    Tawnos's Coffin
    Umezawa's Jitte
    Vedalken Orrery

Academy Ruins
    Adarkar Wastes
    Badlands
    Battlefield Forge
    Bayou
    Bloodstained Mire
    Brushland
    Caves of Kolios
    City of Brass
    Flagstones of Trokair
    Flooded Strand
    Forest
    Grand Coliseum
    Island
    Karakas
    Karpulsan Forest
    Kor Haven
    Krosan Verge
    Library of Alexandria
    Llanowar Reborn
    Llanowar Wastes
    Maze of Ith
    Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
    Mountain
    Murmuring Bosk
    Nimbus Maze
    Plains
    Plateau
    Polluted Delta
    Reflecting Pool
    Savannah
    Scrubland
    Shivan Reef
    Stomping Ground
    Strip Mine
    Sulfurous Springs
    Swamp
    Taiga
    Terramorphic Expanse
    Tolaria West
    Tropical Island
    Tundra
    Undergroud River
    Underground Sea
    Urborg
    Vesuva
    Volcanic Island
    Volrath's Stronghold
    Windswept Heath
    Wooded Foothills
    Yavimaya Coast
    Yavimaya Hollow
    Zoetic Cavern

Bane of the Living
    Damnation
    Demonic Collusion
    Demonic Tutor
    Diabolic Tutor
    Guiltfeeder
    Kokusho, the Evening Star
    Liliana Vess
    Living Death
    Mortivore
    Oversold Cemetary
    Recurring Nightmare
    Rend Flesh
    Sudden Death
    Tortured Existence

Allied Strategies
    Ancestral Vision
    Arcanis the Omnipotent
    Bribery
    Bringer of the Blue Dawn
    Cunning Wish
    Drift of Phantasms
    Fabricate
    Fact or Fiction
    Forbid
    Future Sight
    Magus of the Jar
    Mystical Teachings
    Spitting Image
    Stroke of Genius
    Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
    Tidespout Tyrant
    Time Spiral
    Tradewind Rider
    Willbender
    Wonder

Brion Strongarm
    Doran, the Siege Tower
    Eladamri's Call
    Hull Breach
    Kaervek the Merciless
    Mirari's Wake
    Mystic Enforcer
    Oros, the Avenger
    Pernicious Deed
    Putrefy
    Rith, the Awakener
    Shadowmage Infiltrator
    Simic Sky Swallower
    Sol'kanar the Swamp King
    Spiritmonger
    Sterling Grove
    Teneb, the Harvester
    Terminate
    Vhati il-Dal
    Vindicate
    Vulturous Zombie

Cold-Eyed Selkie

Dead/Gone
    Fire/Ice
    Spite/Malice
    Supply/Demand

All Suns' Dawn
    Birds of Paradise
    Chameleon Colossus
    Crop Rotation
    Defense of the Heart
    Eternal Witness
    Farseek
    Genesis
    Hermit Druid
    Joiner Adept
    Journey of Discovery
    Kodama's Reach
    Krosan Tusker
    Living Wish
    Nantuko Vigilante
    Nostalgic Dreams
    Pattern of Rebirth
    Prismatic Omen
    Protean Hulk
    Raking Canopy
    Recollect
    Regrowth
    Restock
    Sakura-Tribe Elder
    Scapeshift
    Silklash Spider
    Silvos, Rogue Elemental
    Skyshroud Elf
    Spike Weaver
    Sylvan Library
    Sylvan Scrying
    Thornscape Battlemage
    Tooth and Nail
    Treefolk Harbinger
    Wall of Blossoms
    Yavimaya Elder

Akroma, Angel of Fury
    Ancient Grudge
    Anger
    Arc-slogger
    Burning Wish
    Firestorm
    Flametounge Kavu
    Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    Knollspine Dragon
    Rakavolver
    Recoup
    Stigma Lasher
    Wheel of Fortune

Academy Rector
    Akroma, Angel of Wrath
    Akroma's Vengeance
    Balance
    Commander Eesha
    Crib Swap
    Decree of Justice
    Dismantling Blow
    Enlightened Tutor
    Eternal Dragon
    Exalted Angel
    Glory
    Hallowed Burial
    Indomitable Ancients
    Land Tax
    Magus of the Disc
    Oblation
    Orim's Thunder
    Pristine Angel
    Ray of Revelation
    Reya, Dawnbringer
    Rout
    Stonehewer Giant
    Swords to Plowshares
    Tithe
    Weathered Wayfarer
    Wing Shards
    Wrath of God

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think it is time to consider pulling Spite/Malice. It's a great card, and I love it, no question. There's a lot better creature removal though, and a lot better counter magic. It's usually a good adjunct to other counters, but we don;t have a bunch of counters, so it feels lonely and doesn;t do as good of a job as it otherwise would.

That's a slot where we could find a place for one of the new cards.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Best Cards for Essentials are, in order:

Jund Charm - Does three things the deck does not have, does them all very well.

Wooly Thoctar - Early drop of significant beatings, later is just as good.

FB Dragon - Because seriously, this thing rocks.

Hellkite Overlord - The next best aggressive after Akromas, no question in my mind. Might be better than Akroma the Red, need to play him a bit to find out. Haste matters a lot there.

Tezzeret the Seeker - Even getting Clamp, Jitte, Sol Ring, etc is still damn fine. Oh, and toss in a set of the artifact lands with this guy in deck. Gets those for no loss of loyalty.

That's my view of 1 through 5.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast