Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<center>They used to tell me I was building a dream
    And so I followed the mob
    When there was earth to plow or guns to bear
    I was always there right on the job</center>

"I don't care when visiting hours were over. I want to see my client, and I want to see her now."

Catalina sure knew how to enter a room. Her presence was immediately noted by the guards who manned the desks, diligently pushing paper and drinking coffee the same as every other night. The full, rounded bellies on the majority of them were proof positive where the lazy bunch of the prison guards were centrally located. In her world, appearance was everything. It was part of the overall presentation that helped determine if you were taken seriously, or if you were the laughing stock of the city.

Heels gave a defiant clicking sound on the floor as she proceeded toward the closest desk. Her jacket was removed and thrown over paperwork, pens and the phone as she turned and leaned against the edge. Both arms were folded over her chest as she waited, impatiently.

One of the guards slowly stood, casually making his way around the corner of his desk before approaching. "Look, Miss..."

"Marchesato. Catalina Marchesato," she finished for him, squaring off while waiting for the reaction she always received after stating her name. The guard was new to the prison. She hadn't seen him before, so she chalked it up and considered this his learning ceremony.

As expected, he paused and nervously glanced to one of his colleagues who looked whiter than a ghost. His attention was redirected to her, finally, and he shot her a stale smile that reeked of false pretense.

"Yes. Miss Marchesato, I'm Lieutenant--"

"That's nice. Listen, Lieutenant. I need fifteen minutes with deBurgh. The faster I get back there, the faster I get out of your way. Make things difficult for me and you're going to have some trouble on your hands tonight, and who wants more paperwork? Looks like you boys have enough of that floating around here anyway. So, what'll it be?" One fine-lined brow lifted just enough to highlight the sarcastic tone of her voice.

It was easy to see that the Lieutenant was struggling. It was a matter of pride, in his mind, and no one, especially a woman, should talk to him that way and not feel any repercussion. Someone cleared their throat, and the Lieutenant finally backed down.

"Follow me, Miss."

The cell wasn't much to look at, and the amount of space the convicts were provided didn't seem adequate enough. Catalina approached the bars and narrowed her eyes, peering into the darkened space to see if deBurgh was even inside.

She was.

Without so much as a glance his way, the Lieutenant was dismissed. "Thanks, I'll take it from here."

He stiffened, jaw locking and veins protruding as anger mounted and, this time, held firm. However, he had enough sense to keep his trap shut and leave.

"Arianna."

Movement from inside was detected, and Catalina pushed closer to the bars.

"Who's askin'?"

"It's me. Cat." Although she despised the moniker, most of the males she associated with delighted in using it often. Her job was to keep them fat and happy, thus, it was tolerated, and on occasion, used by her as well.

"Catalina?" The body on the bunk sprang to life. Arianna's feet no sooner touched the floor than she was at the bars as well. "You gotta get me outta here. I'm goin' crazy," she whispered.

"Yes, I know. I'm sorry it took so long for me to get here." Catalina had been out of town, working another case, but that wouldn't matter to Arianna. Certain details didn't need to be mentioned at this point in time. "I'll have you out by morning. Your personal belongings will be waiting for you at the front desk, and I have advised the guards that you're to be ready by eight."

"Thank God." The girl's shoulders sagged wearily.

She paused, squinting against the darkness. "..What happened to your face?"

"I took a hit. It's no big deal," Ari mumbled against one of the bars.

"We'll see. Get some sleep. You have a big day tomorrow. There's another run scheduled, and they want you heading the operation." And with that, she turned and started walking away, only to stop halfway to the separation door. "Oh. And Ari, I'm sorry about your loss."

The lack of compassion in her voice didn't mean it wasn't underlying; Catalina had learned years ago to remain stoic when handling business. With Arianna, it was far more challenging because it wasn't just business, it was personal as well. The two had known one another for a long time, and their history was unblemished when it came to their working relationship. It might be a stretch to refer to them as friends, but at the very least, they were accomplices whose main goals were identical. The truth of the matter was: Catalina made sure someone was always watching the girl's back, even if Arianna wasn't aware it was happening. What happened this time? They were both betrayed.

Ari lifted her chin and turned to disappear into the shadowy cell.

Catalina emerged and all the talking suddenly stopped. The room filled with quiet and stares, both of which she was accustomed, so there was no falter in her movement. She was focused and pressed for time. Her jacket was snatched from the desk as she breezed by, draped over one shoulder instead of being used as it was intended.

One of the guards opened the front door for her, nodding his head as she passed.

"Thank you." Always polite and well-mannered when it mattered most, she offered a half-smile. "And please have her ready to go in the morning. My client's time is mine, and I don't like to be kept waiting. It makes me crabby."

The guard started laughing; the laughter faltered and ended up as a dry cough when he realized the Lieutenant was glaring his way. When they both looked back to the door, she was already gone.

<font color="#684F31"><font size="1">[ March 05, 2007 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Catalina Francesca ]</font></font>

<font color="#684F31"><font size="1">[ March 05, 2007 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Catalina Francesca ]</font></font>

<font color="#684F31" size="1">[ March 05, 2007 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Catalina Francesca ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

She was just outside the correctional facility, sitting low in the Cadillac while watching the release of the newest group of convicts. At first she didn't see Arianna roaming about them, but the contact was standing tall and proud which was enough to capture anyone's attention. It wasn't but a few minutes later that deBurgh was making her way toward the fellow, taking her time with confident strides while flashing that disarming smile.

The exchange was as brief as was anticipated, then the two were heading toward a Duesenberg where Ari climbed into the driver's side, not giving J.J. the option to even argue. And it's a good thing he didn't as they were behind schedule already. Not to mention he was paid to perform, not flap his jaw.

When the vehicle pulled out of the drive and was a safe distance away, Cat climbed out of the Cadillac and started walking toward the facility, ignoring the whistling and gestures from the female inmates. Once inside, she went to the first available public phone to make a call. They handled the goods; she handled the people and reported back whatever activities took place to get the next phase of the plan rolling into action. Time was money, and not a single second was spared their attention.

"Look, just tell him it's Cat, he'll take the call. And be quick about it. I have somewhere to be in half hour," she mumbled into the receiver. The turnover rate in their line of business was astounding, so it wasn't surprising that whoever answered her call didn't have the first inkling as to who she was. Glancing over her shoulder, she saw the Lieutenant heading her way. Lovely.

"Yeah, it's me. Listen, it's done and they're on their way now. Yes. Yes, absolutely. I understand, and I'll be there soon." Click. She stood and turned, feigning surprise at seeing the Lieutenant standing so close.

"Good morning, Miss..Catalina, I think you said." He nodded his head briefly.

"That's right Lieutenant, and good morning. If you'll excuse me," she murmured, stepping around him so she could get to the front doors.

He moved aside and started walking with her, opening and holding one of the doors so she could exit first. Much to her disappointment, he followed her outside.

"Mind if I walk you out?"

"Not at all," she lied, "I'd appreciate the company." The pouch she carried was tugged open so she could retrieve her keys.

"Splendid. So, how long have you been in the business of helping the mob and smuggling liquor?" he asked, not attempting to hide the bluntness of his tone. He cast a sharp glare to a few of the women who were bold enough to comment as they passed by.

She paused in mid-stride, briefly glancing his way. Someone was doing his homework. "I'm paid to help all kinds of people in trouble, Lieutenant. Remember the whole 'presumed innocent until proven guilty' clause? It's my job to make you actually prove the guilty part."

They reached the Cadillac and he reached out and took hold of her wrist, removing the keys from her hand. The door was unlocked and opened for her. "A 1930 V-16 Cadillac speedster," he commented. "I'm impressed. But aren't these vehicles built for tiger hunting?"

Now it was her turn to be impressed. "Yes." She slid into the seat and took the keys when he offered them to her and started the engine. "But the design attracted me."

"You have expensive taste." He closed the door and leaned against the window frame.

"That's why I chose the field I'm in, Lieutenant," she smiled. "Thank you for the walk."

"You're welcome," he murmured, straightening, but he immediately leaned in closer, "Oh, and Catalina?"

"Yes?"

"I'm watching you."

It wasn't exactly a threat, but it was close enough to send a prickling sensation creeping along her spine. Her expression, however, remained steady. "Let me know if you like what you see."

"Count on it," he tapped the car door twice, then stood back, watching as she drove away.

"B-b-but Lieutenant, we were specifically instructed to stay away from her; and the rest of them as well!" Pickenny almost whined, scrambling after the taller man. He had an additional forty pounds on him that refused to move as fast.

The Lieutenant stopped short and spun around, glaring. "Who do you report to?"

Pickenny stopped as well, blinking and uncertain. "Well sir, I believe that would be you."

"Then don't question my instruction. I want two men on her right away."

The heavyset man stood there, staring.

"By right away, I mean now, Pickenny."

"Yes sir," the uniform nodded, shuffling off to deliver the news. He wasn't sure what was going to be more challenging: telling two officers what their new assignment was, or finding two who had the balls to actually follow the order.