"Wait a couple of days then call her again."

Pause.

"And who told me to call her??"

"...Tell her, Kevin referred her to you."

"Kevin."

"That's right. She'll get the meaning, and so will the singer."

Silence.

"I'm..not sure I want to be involved in thi--"

"It's too late, you are already involved, and there is no room for mistakes. Two days."

Click.

Inactive Member munchausenbyproxy's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Click.

Silence.

"...Hello?"

"Mm hmm."

"Uh, I'm looking for Brenna. This is Gregg Hiatt calling."

Pause.

"Bren here."

"Oh, hello Brenna. I was wondering if you received my message..."

"....I did."

"Great. Would it be possible to meet for an hour or so? I can clear my calendar, just let me know when would be a good time for you."

"Who asked you to call me?"

Pause.

"..Kevin."

Stiffen. Time to play the game.

"I'll be there in an hour."

"Fantastic. I look forward to meeti--"

"You drink coffee, Gregg?"

"Well...yes, sometimes, but I--"

"See you in an hour then."

"Wait..Brenna..don't you want directions?"

"Don't need 'em."

"...You don't?"

"Nope."

"How will you know where we're located?"

"Easy. Went online. One hour."

Click.

"...Yes..goodby--"

Click.

Beep.

"Cam. Bren. Got news you're gonna want to hear. Call me."

Click.

"Al's Body Shop. What's the damage?"

"Max."

Pause.

"Bren?"

"Yeah."

"...What's up, baby? Where you at?"

"Got a job to do. Need a favor."

"..What kind of job, Brenna?"

"This one kind."

"Brenna..."

"You doin' body work now? What happened to the meat shop?"

"Brenna..."

"Meet me in an hour. Address is in your right pant pocket."

Pause.

"What's the Tempid Corporation?"

"Where you need to be in one hour. Don't be late."

"What happens if I'm late, Bren..?"

Chuckle.

"The coffee'll go all cold."

Click.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Tempid Corporation, may I help you?"

"Gregg Hiatt, please."

"He's currently unable to take any calls."

"Tell him it's Brenna Fay. He'll want to take this call."

"One moment please."

Nice hold music. Finger taps.

"Brenna! Nice to hear from you again so soon. Where'd you get that coffee? It's great. I got a good rush which is going to help me tackle this huge stack of paperwork that I've been ignoring. Did I say it was nice to meet you today? So...what's up? You calling to accept my offer?"

Slow smile.

"Brenna? Are you there?"

"I'm here, Gregg. Who told you to call me?"

Pause.

"I'm not supposed to give you that information, but...Dr. Conolly is an associate of mine and asked that I give you a ring."...."Hold on, I need to sit down. I'm feeling a little dizzy."

"Don't worry, that will wear off in about half an hour."

"...Strong coffee..."

"Yes. Gregg, when we hang up...leave your office and go home."

"I will. But--"

"Just tell them you're not feeling well."

"Yes..yes, I'll do that."

Click.

"I still want to--hello? Brenna?"

Damn.

Click.

"Everything okay babe?"

"Yep."

"What was going on in there?"

"I'll tell you at home."

Nod.

"You get the information you needed?

"Mm hmm. Thanks for waiting for me."

"Come over here. Sit closer."

Scoots.

"Home then?"

"Yes, Max."

"Got anything special you want to do?"

"We're doing it right now."

Grin.

"Bren?"

"Yeah?"

"You're not going to Conolly's alone."

Sidelong glance his way.

"I know. I won't."

"Promise."

"I promise."

Good. Nod.

Bark wouldn't mind going for a walk...

..and that would mean she wasn't alone.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sam had been vindicated and she had missed the entire ordeal. The news was received and taken in stride as best as she could muster before disappearing to hide from the reality that was. Only when alone would she finally crumble and start the process of trying to let go, a process that she had tried to correct time and again and failed just as often.

The state of withdraw crept up so quietly that she didn't realize it was attacking until she had become sucked into vast plains of quarantine and isolation. What she didn't realize was how it would detrimentally affect those around her. Relationships were left alone, and without the repeated stroke to the bond, they began to tear away piece by piece, losing all size and structure that had taken so long to construct and maintain.

The only way to stop what she was feeling..was to splice through the cause and shred it completely.

Since she couldn't understand or figure out how to handle herself, she would handle everyone else instead -- it was less complicated and not quite as frightening and it would prevent her from feeling anything save numbness.

Numb fit.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Death of the Doctor

When the ingredients necessary to accomplish the task at hand were acquired, she made her way to where Max was sitting on the couch and stood there staring at him. "Ready."
    ?
    Why was she so persistent about finishing this? Because the man was constantly messing with her and he refused to stop, not to mention that she was bound?and determine to find a little peace in her life.? It felt very strange and uncomfortable to be this involved with the ultimate act; normally such circumstances weren't known to her.? She was the background, the unseen, the one who created what was needed to be used by someone else. Half the time she didn't even know who the target was, and that's how she liked things -- uncomplicated. Now she was forced to squelch the thoughts of guilt that flooded for this was against everything she was taught was right. Then again, so were the things she had been doing for the last six years, so what's the difference?
    ?
    Outside, a very quiet Max opened the truck door for her and she climbed into the cab and sat down, leaning over to crack open the drivers side door for him as he walked around the front.? Eyes focused on impossibly tall figure in an attempt to keep her mind from straying again. There wasn't room or time to feel anything, and she was ridding the world of?a mental manipulator who would possibly inflict physical damage if given half a chance.

Do it Brenna. Do it. Don't think, just act.
    ?
    The drive to Conolly's took longer than expected, and her nerves weren't up for the abuse. Fingers curled around the seat, gripping tightly as they neared the doctor's home, and when Max parked across the street she sat there for a bit longer, trying to slowly relax her fingers enough to ease up on their grip. Brown bag was grabbed, the paper wrinkling noisily against her palm, then the advance on the house had begun.
    ?
    Max slid ahead of her and reached out to try the front door, which was locked. Breaking into Conolly's home wasn't an option, so the giant lifted a hand and ... knocked.? She glanced his way when he gently nudged her aside -- if the idiot looked through the peephole she'd been seen and they'd never get in without?a struggle.? Leaning against the wall and letting the brown bag dangle from her fingers, she gave a curious smile Max's way.? The man was always thinking, it amazed her..the level of details that he considered without difficulty or hesitation. When the door opened, Max shoved Conolly back and forced his way inside then instructed her to follow and close the door behind her.? She did just that, and quickly.
    ?
    Conolly was brought into his kitchen and forced to sit in a chair at the table, remaining eerily quiet at first.? He watched Brenna?approach the counter and start removing the contents of the paper bag. What..was that?
    ?
    Puffer fish. The doctor recognized it immediately.
    ?
    "I'm not going to eat that," he stated.
    ?
    "Actually, yeah ya are," Max returned, shoving the back of the man's head with one hand. "Now shut up and let her work. Be thankful that she's not letting me do to you as I wanted."
    ?
    The fish was prepared and set on a plate, then she reached for the hypodermic needle, testing it prior to stabbing the flesh with the head of the needle itself. The quantity of tetrodotoxin injected into the piece of fish was enough to bring down a buffalo, and it would take a maximum of twenty minutes before the man's heart stopped beating.
    ?
    "Doctor Conolly, let me tell you what you're about to experience," she said, carefully wrapping the needle and putting it in the bag before bringing the plate of puffer fish and vegetables over to set before him.? He was known for enjoying rare foods.?"Tetrodotoxin, commonly known as Fugo or Puffer Fish toxin, is?so lethal that the dosage required to kill an adult your size is about 0.01 milligrams and it's virtually undetectable in a typical autopsy. And this, my friend, will be considered very typical. Now, death usually occurs in four to six hours with a known range of twenty minutes to eight hours, pending the amount ingested, but I've ensured that you won't suffer for too long...

The first signs that something is awry?will be a?slight numbness in your lips and tongue. The sodium ions won't be able to carry the messages to the brain, so you're going to feel slightly whacked for a while; welcome to my world.? This numbness will soon increase and spreads to certain parts of your face and throat.? Some reported initial symptoms also included involuntary muscle spasms, weakness, dizziness, and loss of speech, though I'm uncertain as to whether or not you'll experience these. There is excessive salivation and sweating, along with slowed heart rate and a drop in body temperature.?You'll soon experience respiratory distress, marked by rapid, shallow breathing.? The secondary stage of the poisoning involves increased paralysis to the point where even sitting becomes... difficult.? From this point on it's pretty much downhill.? After another increase in paralysis, mental impairment and convulsions, yes, probably in that order, ensue.? This is followed by an inevitable case of cardiac arrhythmia."
    ?
    The plate was turned a little, set down with the chunk of meat closest to Conolly and the vegetables facing away. A napkin was unfolded and dropped onto the floor, and the utensils were used to cut another section of meat which was picked up and brought to the garbage disposal. One flip of the switch would have the stuff ground up and gone, thought to be eaten by Conolly.?
    ?
    "Brenna, you're not a murderer. In all the time I've known you, you've never done something this drastic. Reconsider--"
    ?
    "Shut the fuck up," Max growled, leaning slightly. "Say one more word and I'm going to take you to a place that's ten times worse than hell. Now shut..up."
    ?
    "Grab his face Max," she whispered. Sliding on a rubber glove, the chunk of meat was picked up and shoved into Conolly's mouth, then a piece of duct tape was pressed over his lips and chin, which would force him to swallow down enough to have the desired reaction.

Approximately 16 minutes later, Conolly wasn't looking to hot, and she carefully peeled the tape from his face. It came off easily enough because of the powder like substance left on his face from the rubber glove. The doctor's attempt to speak was halted because of the numbness, and he begain to visibly twitch. Four and a half minutes later he was on the ground, dead. Moving toward the phone, she picked it up and clicked it to "on" then returned and set it in the man's hand; it fell right out onto the ground beside his body. Perfect.

Out the back door the two went, climbing over the wall that connected to the alley behind Conolly's house, then they made their way to where the truck was parked. Before climbing inside, another glance to the house was given. "See ya, doc," she whispered, then slid onto the seat and closed the door behind her.

Check mate.

Game over.

"Come lovely and soothing death. Undulate round the world, serenely arriving. Arriving in the day, in the night, to all, to each -- sooner or later, delicate death."
    -Walt Whitman

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mirror Talk

"How's it feel to be a murderer, Bren?"

"....He deserved it, deserved to die."

"Not what I asked."

Pause.

"I don't feel anything."

"Liar."

"No, I--"

"You're pretending again, aren't you?"

"...Yes."

"It's fun, pretending, isn't it? Easier? Makes things temporarily disappear."

"Yeah."

"It's almost like a drug."

"Pretending?"

"No, your mind."

"...yeah."

"He's going to realize what you've done and turn on you.? Then you'll be alone again."

"He wouldn't leave. Said he cares. Told me so himself..."

"So did Sam and he left."

"Shut...up."

Silence.

"I'm here for you Brenna, even when there's only darkness I'm here."

"It's dark now...pitch black."

"Yes. Just like your heart."

"I hate you."

"I know. You always have, and I'm comfortable with what you feel."

"Go away.? Leave me alone."

"I can't do that."

"Who are you?"

"Open your eyes, Brenna. Look a little harder."

"All I see is ...my reflection."

"Right. So, who am I?"

"..go away," whispered.

Why was it that when you thought you solved one problem, the answer always provoked more issues instead of just resolving the first? It was easy to put on a new face each morning, and it had become as simple as sliding on a pair of jeans that were comfortable from being worn time and time again. Playing God didn't prove to be effortless, instead the burden that accompanied the act weighed heavily on her soul; a soul that was more a reflection of her mind than a separate entity.

Approaching the church was difficult, she knew that judgment was waiting on the other side of the doors. Confessing meant that you were asking for forgiveness, but in order to ask you had to own regret -- she didn't.

Standing outside the church, hands hiding in her pant pockets, she watched as the church began to quickly fill.

Maybe Cam'd be inside. Maybe Max would show.

...maybe not.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ring ring.

"Yep."

"Bren?"

"Uh huh."

"It's Doug. I have another job if you're interested."

"Um..I can't do that anymore. Sorry."

Click.

Ring ring.

Pause.

Riiiin--

"What?"

"Bren, you gotta listen to me.."

"...Told you I can't do that shit anymore, man."

"Bren--"

"Doug. Dude. Fuck off."

"..BREN. It pays half a mil.."

Pause.

"What'd you say?"

"Half a mil, doll. You in?"

"Depends. What're we doin'?"

"...Finishing the job that Sammy started."

"I'll call you back in a couple of hours. Do me a faor and don't tell anyone about this."

"Okay, but Bren...dontcha want my digits?"

"Doug. C'mon. I'm seein' someone for Christ' sake."

Click.

"No, babe..I mean--" Sigh. Some things..never change.

Click.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Hey.. Bren.? S'me.? Just callin' to see.. how ya'll were doin' and what was up.? Yanno, if you get the chance, call me back and.. we'll hang out.? Or somethin'.? Alright then, talk to you later, doll."

Ring ring.

"Hello?"

"Yeah."

"Hey Bren."

"Hey."

Pause.

"So? What's up?"

"Dunno. You thirsty?"

"Yep."

"Coo'."

Click.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A Visit

Thump thump thump.

The knock on the door wasn't what woke her, it was Bark's incessant yipping that finally roused her from an afternoon nap on the couch. Why the hell was he barking? The dog ran from the front door into the living room, turned around and around in circles then bolted toward the front door again while continuing to belt out the warning call. Sitting up, she propped her elbows on her knees while hunching forward and sent her palms rubbing at weary eyes. "Bark, c'mon man.."

Thump thump thump.

That sound had her head snapping up, and eyes squinted as she peered toward the foyer. The only people that would knock on the door at this time of day were the Mormon missionaries trying to convert people over or those dedicated to scraping up donations for a cause they deemed worthy. Whoever it was had interrupted her nap and that in itself had her crabby. Hoisting herself from the couch, she trudged toward the door with sloth like movement, pausing before pulling it open.

"Yeah."

"Brenna McCullah?"

"Yeah?"

"This is the police. We'd like to speak with you for a moment. Please open the door."

Oh shit. Think fast, Bren. The door was cracked open enough to allow her to peer at them, "Hey. What's up?" A glance was exchanged between both men, then they looked back to her again.

"We're here to speak with you about Doctor Denzien Conolly."

"Sure, but he's not my doctor anymore. I finished my sessions with him fair and square. If this is his way of trying to get me to spend more money, it ain't gonna happen."

"Miss McCullah, Doctor Conolly is deceased. If we could come in for a few minutes, there are some questions we'd like to ask."

"He's...wow. Yeah, sure. Um, can ya give me a sec to run upstairs and get dressed? I won't need but five minutes..."

"Yes ma'am, that's fine."

"Great. Thanks. I'll be down in a jiffy."

Leaving the door cracked open, she turned around and bound up the stairs to the bedroom and once there her cell phone was grabbed. Scrolling through the names stored in memory, Max's was chosen and dialed.

"Pick up..pick up..damn it!" Voice mail was the devil. "Max, Bren. The police are here. Questions. Wanting to know something about Doctor Conolly's death. Come home..." Click.

Tossing the phone on the bed, she moved for the stairs and headed down slowly. When reaching the door, it was pulled all the way open and she stepped back, inviting the two policemen inside. Both men entered and looked around before turning their attentions on her again and each was awarded a half-smile.

"Um, you want some water or somethin'..?"

"No, thank you. Were you aware of Doctor Conolly's death Miss McCullah?"

"Before right now, ya mean?"

"...Yes."

"Newp. I wasn't. So what happened? He have a heart attack? I told him that would happen if he kept on with the long hours..."

"Not exactly. He was poisoned."

"Oh. How'd he manage that?"

"That's what we're trying to find out. And how long were you a patient of his?"

"..'Bout two years."

"Yes, he wrote some unpleasant things about you in his files."

She stilled for a second, keeping her composure as relaxed as possible. They wouldn't have access to Conolly's files without getting a court order, and it hadn't been long enough for that to happen. Even if enough time had passed, they wouldn't send out the uniforms, so that meant one thing...

...they weren't cops.

"He didn't much care for how mouthy I was. Hey, I gotta pee, can ya give me a couple of minutes? You can sit down in the living room if you want.."

"No problem. We'll have a seat and wait for you there. You aren't expecting anyone, are you?"

"Company?"

"Yes. Or, a boyfriend perhaps?"

"Ah. No, he won't be home for a while. Practice and all. I'll be back in a minute."

After climbing the stairs, she went to the bedroom and closed the door, then very quietly she disappeared into one of the guest rooms.

Max was dead meat for hiding the car keys, and if he didn't get here soon...

..she'd be dead too.

<font color="#999999"><font size="1">[ April 16, 2005 12:25 AM: Message edited by: munchausenbyproxy ]</font></font>

<font color="#999999" size="1">[ April 16, 2005 12:27 AM: Message edited by: munchausenbyproxy ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Brenna. You there?"

"Yeah."

"You don't have to whisper here."

"..I know."

"Then why are you?"

"Scared."

"You've never been scared of anything but horses."

"They're scary."

"Yes. And you're..invincible. Get up and go face them."

"They have guns."

"So what? Bullets can't hurt you."

"..They can't?"

"No. They'll just allow you to travel from plain to plain. Max did it, you can too."

"Yeah, he did. But..he's different. Special."

"So are you, Bren. Get up. Do it. Show Cam and Max that you can get yourself out of these situations on your own."

"I guess I should."

"Yes, you should."

"...But..I'm afraid."

"I'll be right there with you..."

"...I won't be able to say good-bye."

"..holding your hand."

"Wanna see them once more."

"...staying close. I'll help you. Get up Bren."

"Yeah."

"Hurry. Now..they're near."

Passing by the lab, movement was detected out of the corner of his eye. The crazy bitch was just standing there in front of the window, looking at them while they looked for her.

"Hey. Check it out."

"What the hell is she doing?"

"I have no idea, but you can bet she's up to something."

"Something about her looks...different."

"Because she's a loon."

"No..there's..it's something more..."

"Doesn't matter. Just shoot."

"She's holding something."

"Looks like a decanter. Take her out because this is giving me the creeps."

Normally, people didn't come out of hiding, they pushed further into the shadows. Gun was lifted and aimed at her, eyes narrowed and skill was called upon; he was a good shot. Professional. Never missed a target, and he wouldn't now.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast