Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<center>I need a sign, to let me know you're here;
    All of these lines are being crossed over the atmosphere.
    I need to know, that things are gonna look up;
    'Cause I feel us drowning in a sea spilled from a cup.
    When there is no place safe and no safe place to put my head,
    When you can feel the world shake from the words that are said.

And I'm, calling all angels
    And I'm, calling all you angels

And I won't give up, if you don't give up
    I won't give up, if you don't give up

I need a sign to let me know you're here;
    'Cause my TV set just keeps it all from being clear.
    I want a reason for the way things have to be;
    I need a hand to help build up some kind of hope inside of me.

And I'm, calling all angels.
    And I'm, calling all you angels.

And I won't give up, if you don't give up

And I'm, calling all angels.
    And I'm, calling all you angels.

Train </center>

Inactive Member Roping the Wind's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<center> I'm so tired of being here
    Suppressed by all my childish fears
    And if you have to leave
    I wish that you would just leave
    'Cause your presence still lingers here
    And it won't leave me alone

These wounds won't seem to heal
    This pain is just too real
    There's just too much that time cannot erase

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    I held your hand through all of these years
    But you still have
    All of me

You used to captivate me
    By your resonating light
    Now I'm bound by the life you left behind
    Your face it haunts
    My once pleasant dreams
    Your voice it chased away
    All the sanity in me

These wounds won't seem to heal
    This pain is just too real
    There's just too much that time cannot erase

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
    But though you're still with me
    I've been alone all along

Evanescence </center>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The nurses had two visitors scheduled that afternoon for the cowboy and that in itself has rose a few brows after what had happened the last time the battered rogue had a visitor of the female persuasion. The nurse who had bustled inside the sick room to change his bedding hadn't utter a single word, only gasped and widened her eyes slightly before muttering beneath her breath as she hurried from the room. The doctors couldn't explain why Mac hadn't regained consciousness yet. For all intents and purposes, his medical charts for fine. Exemplary even.

They figured the cowboy had just given up the will to survive. He had brain activity now, so they knew he was aware of what was going on around him even if he made no outward response to indicate he was still among the living aside from the occaisional muscle spasm involuntarily.

Being read to had evoked that response and the pretty orator wouldn't soon forget the experience that was for certain! Emily would surely return again on the morrow if not later on that evening to visit the cowboy's room companion, Minnie, and elderly woman and cancer survivor, recovering from recent surgery.

Comforting, familiar voices would be the key to unlocking the enigma that was Mackenzy's mind right now. Voices that could bring him back from wherever he was currently trapped. Welcome him back to the land of the living. And save him from the nothing he had become in his absence.

<center> ----------------------------------------------------------------- </center>

<center>
    How can you see into my eyes
    Like open doors?
    Leading you down into my core,
    Where I've become so numb.

Without a soul,
    My spirit's sleeping somewhere cold,
    Until you find it there and lead it back
    Home.

(Wake me up)
    Wake me up inside.
    (I can?t wake up)
    Wake me up inside.
    (Save me)
    Call my name and save me from the dark.
    (Wake me up)
    Bid my blood to run.
    (I can?t wake up)
    Before I come undone.
    (Save me)
    Save me from the nothing I've become.

Now that I know what I'm without,
    You can't just leave me.
    Breathe into me and make me real.
    Bring me to life.

(Wake me up)
    Wake me up inside.
    (I can?t wake up)
    Wake me up inside.
    (Save me)
    (Wake me up)
    Bid my blood to run.
    (I can?t wake up)
    Before I come undone.
    (Save me)

Bring me to life.
    (I've been living a lie.
    There's nothing inside)
    Bring me to life.

Frozen inside without your touch,
    Without your love, darling.
    Only you are the life among the dead.

(All of this sight,
    I can't believe I couldn't see
    Kept in the dark
    but you were there in front of me)
    I've been sleeping a 1000 years it seems.
    I've got to open my eyes to everything.
    (Without a thought
    Without a voice
    Without a soul
    Don't let me die here.
    There must be something more).
    Bring me to life.

(Wake me up)
    Wake me up inside.
    (I can?t wake up)
    Wake me up inside.
    (Save me)
    (Wake me up)
    Bid my blood to run.
    (I can?t wake up)
    Before I come undone.
    (Save me)

Bring me to life.
    (I've been living a lie. There's nothing inside)
    Bring me to life

Evanescence </center>

<font color="#996600" size="1">[ January 12, 2005 12:42 AM: Message edited by: incomplete addiction ]</font>

Inactive Member perilousburning's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There she was. Again. Damn, this man better adore her. She even had coffee, juggling the cups in hands as designer boots tapped out her pacing pattern. Narrowed greys shifted to the door that lead to the comatose cowboy, and she gave a heavy sigh. "Seriously...what the hell." Wait, and she was not patient. She turned on spiked heel, resting the back of her head against the barren wall of the hospital. She was about to waltz right on in there and demand to see him. A mindless grumble beneath breath, and she shifted, careful of the hot cups.

"Miss Leonne?" A masculine voice emerged from the swinging doors and was attached to a distinguished man in his late forties, with kind blue eyes and sandy blonde hair streaked with liberal amounts of silver at the temples. He carried a clipboard within his hands and was flipping through a sheaf of papers as he approached in his white doctor's lab coat. He had a warm smile to match the kind eyes and paused once he had arrived at Natalie's side.

"You are here to visit our Mr. Cord, yes? You may go in to see him whenever you are so disposed." The man probably should stand clear of the model's way. She was after all armed with scalding hot coffee. He even side stepped as though he expected a stampede.
    His mouth quirking as he continued on down the hall.

Yes?" Eyes shot open, and she straightened from her lazy lean. "I am, and thank you."
    She rewarded him with a soft smile, and eased her way on inside, the door closed behind her with a gentle shove from hip. Heart thumped as eyes fell upon the form of Mac, and full lips twisted sorrowfully. "Damn, cowboy. what you done get yourself into now?" She tsked softly, tongue against cheek as she placed cups on a metal tray. Spare chair caught, and she jerked it close to his bed-side. "Hey. Y'know..." Wan smile. "... you are really lazy for jus' layin' here for so long." Her hands dropped, and she dusted fingers lightly over his listless hand. "I've brought some charcoal for you. Bess' good stuff." Closest cup grabbed, and she brought it near his face. "Smell it? I bet you prefer whiskey, though."
    She set the cup once more to the side, scooting chair a few inches closer. "Cowboy..." Voice was low, a near purr. "Babe... stop pullin' our legs. We know you're in there." Those fingers strayed up his arm in a soothing caress, careful of any tubing if there was any. She pouted, for her own benefit, although it laced her tone.

He had been spoiled by honey-sweet drawls and adorable southern belle pouts, so it should be of some consolation to Natalie that had he been with it and all the sight of the downward tilt of her beautiful mouth would have stirred more than just his senses. His nostrils flared as though he could indeed catch whiff of the monkey brew that Bess was infamous for and his nose twitched. Maybe it was just a muscle reflex like trying to rid oneself of an itch. Maybe it was more. One could never tell these days with this particular patient. At least the nurses were happy that he wasn't giving them grief with his stubborn and obstinate behavior this time around as he ..wasn't exactly conscious to give anyone a hard time right now.

Poor Mac. Always dealt a shitty hand by fate and just trying to live his life one moment at a time. It was all about the luck of the draw, right? He had been the loser and badly this time. But he had know exactly what he had been getting into when he picked that fight with the Lion. He had thought that he was standing up for every cuckholded man everywhere. Or at least that he was proving to his ex that he still loved her. But like any of that mattered now. He was so close to just giving up and throwing in the towel. What did he have to go back to anyways? Besides his family. Nothing.

Did she need to shake him? Kiss him awake like sleeping beauty? Both were very tempting. "Maaaackeeenzy." The name was drawled out as she leaned close to murmur in his ear, her hand still dancing it's path along his arm. "If you talk to me... I'll love you foreverrrrr." She was so close in fact, that upper body nearly rested on the edge of the bed. "And if you don't... I'll make you drink this coffee." She pulled back slightly, curious peer to his blank face. "Y'know... you oughta see me right now. I look awfully nice." There was a mindless glance down to her attire, and she smiled. "I have a date tonight." Something to spark jealousy perhaps. To get a rise out of him. "You are too amn sutbborn for your own good. Think about it..." She paused, blowing gently in his ear. "... if you were to get all better! Think about the fun me n' you could have! And!" She chuckled, the sound low and throaty. "We still have that wager on the drinking game." He could come back to her. She could be a damn good friend, and an even better lover. Fingers slid to his waist, giving a slight tickle.

Natalie could try to kiss him awake, certainly he wouldn't be able to put up much protest. Shaking wouldn't be a good idea what with all the wires and tubes and the broken ribs and bruises making a patchwork of colorful scenery all over that bronzed and sinewy skin. Love him forever? He wasn't falling for that line again. Three strikes and you're out, right?
    And he had been through an emotional wringer in the past year. His life was increasingly becoming more like a goddamned soap opera. The cowboy's brain worked perfectly fine. He could hear every single word crooned from the back of the model's throat. Jealousy? A date? Oh hell no! He was beyond furious on the inside, simmering like a kettle about to boil over but not with her. With himself. And his own utter helplessness.

He mustered all the strength he could and for all that effort.. Only a small ticking of a granite muscle near the stubbled edge of his jaw. It was something. What was his doing? Grinding his teeth. An unconscious habit he adopted henever he was under a great amount of duress or strain. It was something! At least it was a sign of hope. He had no doubt the kind of friend Natalie would make.

"Ah-ah, Cowboy... is that all you can give me? I bet you..." Lips dusting over the shell of his ear. "... could give me more." Unfair use of feminime wiles, penalty! A fall of lips, and they hovered above the spot that had ticked. "Y'know what's sad, darlin'?" She gave a woeful sigh, the breath hot against his skin. "I nearly got mugged the other day." A flick of tongue across the healing split that marred the perfection of her mouth, and she rested her cheek lightly against his, stubble rubbed against. "I need a strong man like you, to protect me." Yes, strong. Strong enough to come out of this, and move on in life. He had strength she admired. Obviously, he wanted to live... he had survived thus far... if he hadn't... he could have let go, regardless of what doctors were doing. Small peck to his cheek bone, and she rested the stubborn line of chin in her open palm.

"So... what do you think about sex on the first date? I'm not sure if I should with this guy..."
    It was a taunt, an obvious way of getting another reaction out of him. "I mean... he's pretty damn good-lookin'. Not as near handsome as you are... but I figure since you want to lay here on your ass and do nothing about it... I might as well go sleep with him." Little Miss Rude Natalie.

Listless. That best described Melanie since her brother's latest head trauma. Catatonic might even fit, but that word twisted her gut into knots and left her with an intense desire to gouge certain peoples' eyes out. With spoons. ld rusty jagged spoons that had been chewed up in the garbage disposal. No, catatonic didn't really work. She was up, moving, talking, bending to the will of the Omnipresent Puppet Master. She still had her strings. Unlike some people. Feeling just a little bitter as she stepped through the automatic doors, the bookworm unzipped her jacket and swept the hood back off her head. "Hi, Janice."
    She knew the receptionist by name. At least this shift's. That was saying something.
    Not necessarily good.

Melanie signed herself in with the pen-on-a-leash (she felt like she was at a bank every time she picked up that particular writing utensil; Yes, I'd like to make a withdrawal. Myself, please. I think my brother has the right idea). "How are you doing today?" Janice couldn't complain, she said. Good, Melanie thought. Her own personal complaining was driving her up the wall. She didn't think she could take on anyone else's load at the moment. Just let me print out your parking number, Janice said. Melanie leaned against the counter, watching the woman's fingers fly over a grimy keyboard.

"Long time no see, Malainee.." Familiar scottish brogue just...at her elbow?! Yes, because Dylan was situated comfortably in a wheelchair with his left foot propped up in a cast.
    A nurse had wheeled him towards the reception desk and abandoned him to fend for himself. He was patiently waiting as Mel was inobtrusively blocking the sign out sheet with her listless lean. It wasn't clear how long he had been observing her, but from the knowing grin that not only reached black-blues but warmed them to a considerable degree, it had been several minutes. See what happens when you aren't paying attention. Hot scottish men sneak up on you unawares. Better get on your toes, girl!

His dark hair fell well past his brow in a sexy, devil-may-care style and the unkempt look suited him well. Bedheaded and boyish. Sun bronzed hands folded within his lap, tapered fingers ticking idly as he waited for her to turn around and acknowledge his greeting. A baseball cap was crammed down onto his head, (Knicks Rule!) he wore a university logo sweatshirt and loose fitting jeans that were bleached white and frayed at either knee. Sporting a few fashionable gaping holes even, despite the fact that Old Man Winter was still casting his icy breath all over the city.

Concern soon replaced the casual teasing as he took in the shadows beneath her eyes,
    the way her shoulders seemed to slump in defeat. The dull, listless expression that caused her beautiful mouth to droop at a pathetic angle. "Y' alright, lass?" Something in the haunted look in her lackluster eyes when she turned had him wincing in sympathetic response.
    "Nah, puir Dylan this ...and puir Dylan that. Frankly, I've grown quite tired o' all th' fussin'. 'Tis merely a flesh wound." He jested mildly while pinning her with that intent spilt oil and cobalt blue stare. "Couple buddies o' mine were indulgin' in a wee bit o' horseplay. Things got out o' hand. But boys wi' be boys, right? Och, don't I know it." Grinning.

If Natalie were care to look there was signs of movement coming from the sick bed.
    Dum dum dum.. Would, really. Maybe even Melanie would hear it too, but that was highly doubted. The groan was mildly weak at best. Like a mewling kitten.

Greys were dragged from her listless hands that had spilled themselves upon his side. Small sound was noted, as was the wriggling, and eyes grew wide. Tentative breaths, so shallow as if one to deep would send him back into oblivion. Had her tauntings worked? "Cowboy?" Voice was shaky and light, and she leaned forward a inch. Thos ehands gained animation, a sign of life even as his body began to squirm beneath fingertips. Oh lord... "Cowboy?" Barely audible, and she cast a quick glance to the window that offered a view into the hall. Should she get someone? There was a woman... was it a visitor for him?

Dylan wouldn't realize how true his words rang. "That they will. Which is why my brother is in here at the moment." Bitter? Of course. She tried to dull the biting edge of her voice, but Melanie couldn't muster the inspiration to do much these days. Movement in Mackenzy's window snatched up her attention. Her form straightened considerably, brows drawing together in an expression that couldn't decide if it was confused or hopeful. No, someone else was there. A woman? If it was Shannon, the woman should thank her lucky stars that medical treatment was readily available. "Don't go anywhere." She pointed to the wheelchair bound football player. As if her finger could pin him in place. "I'll be back."

Some of her sluggishness was burned away as she moved into the sterile quarters. Hospital rooms had an eerie way of being silent. Even with the blip of heart moniters and the whir-click of respirators. "What's going on?" She found the energy to pierce the unfamiliar woman with an accusatory stare. Her gaze fell to the bed. "Kenzy?" She was at his side in an instant, a hand feather light on his shoulder. "Hey, it's Mel."*

Dylan gave a solicitous nod and blackblue slant followed after her as far as his neck would allow until she had disappeared within the sick room. Back to waiting and twiddling his thumbs again. At least he could fill out his paper work now. He wasn't likely to be wandering off any time soon.

Chin jutted out, body going stiff with defensiveness beneath the hard glare of the woman.
    Lips flattened to a frown, although excitement ran rich in greys. "He moved. Groaned.
    I think he's trying to wake..." She was rising from the plastic chair, and taking steps back. Obviously, this woman was kin. Arms crossed in a barrier fashion beneath breasts, and gaze flickered between Mackenzy's form and the woman.

His eyes felt gritty like they had been scraped raw with sandpaper. His usual whiskey-rough baritone even more cracked and huskier than ever. He tried to breathe in and cough but that hurt his ribs like hell. He heard his sister's voice and it comforted him but he was trying to turn in the direction of the other. The one that had since grown silent. Vaguely stirring a recollection in his fuzzy mind but he was still doped up on pain meds and very much out of it. His lips moved but no sound but a strangled hiss escaped. His eyes darted towards the pitcher of ice water though. Emerald fire. It was so nice to see them again, was it not?

A startled gasp from the doorway would have his attention turning towards the sound, as though in slow motion everything was so murky to him right now. Like trying to view objects far into the distance through a heavy storm. A gentle thunder had rumbled in the distance but he had beat the lightning and made it home safe. The only problem was that he wasn't sure if he was glad to have pulled through or disappointed that he would have to face all the pain in his life once again. Nothing had changed. He was still alone. Shannon was gone. Alone. His lips formed a wavery sentence, oddly disjointed. But then again so also was his muddle of thoughts. Choking on their truth. "..W-wish. D-d-ied. Wish. I--" He couldn't go on. Exhausted by that effort as though it had sapped his strength completely.

The gasp had belonged to the intern, Annabelle. She couldn't believe what she was seeing even as she bore witness to it. Biting down onto her lower lip as her clipboard clattered towards the floor and the blonde nurse-in-training was soon pushing in against the cowboy's bedside as well. Boy, could he still bring in the crowds! The thought made him want to chuckle but instead he ended up seized in a coughing fit.

The intern was young but she wanted answers! "What's going on here? Mr. Cord, how are you feeling? That's okay, sweetheart, I'm sure you don't feel like answering that and I'm sure you are quite annoyed at hearing it. Like shit, right? You're going to be okay." She cringed. Sweetheart? She chewed on her lip again and moved away after she had checked his vitals and took his blood pressure. Reclaiming her fallen clipboard with the cowboy's medical statistics on her hasty exit from the hospital room. Her heart tripping a crazy staccato beat. Green eyes. His eyes were smokey-emerald. She smiled as she wandered down the corridor. Mystery solved.

Melanie deflated. Don't say that, she pleaded silently. Would have begged aloud, had the room not become so crowded so quickly. The blonde nurse was largely ignored until she elbowed her way up to the bedside. Hey, this was her brother. Never mind that it was the woman's job to see to his well being. She watched, annoyance etched into her features,
    as the nurse performed the routine check up and moved to fill up the empty space when she left. "Welcome back, Kenzy," she said softly.

Natalie was still there, albeit in the background. Fingertips dusted to lips, and she felt a need to bite them to keep from blurting out like a lunatic. Breath was stolen and caught in chest, eyes wide as she continued to watch... Those words. They snapped that breath from her chest, and she exhaled. This was not her place. She had no right to be here. Wan smile, and fingertips itched to spring forward and dance along his arm as they had earlier.
    "Lord... Cowboy..." Words meant for her ears alone, and she shook her dark head. Teeth came to bite upon lower lip, a wretched attempt to hod herself still. Not her place.

Mackenzy didn't mean to be outright rude to his sibling but his first words after that stuttered admission were clear as a bell, and touched poignantly with an underlying sense of awe. "Natalie.." Why was she here? Had she come just today, or had she been here hithertofore? He was filled with so many questions he felt his brain would burst before he could receive the answers he craved. He tried to crook a finger to beckon her closer as though he feared she was simply an aberration of an overwrought mind. Maybe it was just his sister and no one else. Hell, last night he had the strangest dream. Shannon was there and she was.. No. It wasn't the artist it was someone with a similar honey-sweet voice that could drive a monk to distraction. But his mind was everywhere right now. He found a focal place and it was the model. He'd hold on and concentrate on that for awhile. He repeated, this time less sure of himself. "Natalie?" Gruffly, but with a residual hint of incredulity.

Oh, ouch. Melanie winced. Her hand snapped off his shoulder as if it had been burned, and she took two pained steps away from his bed. A chair barked the backs of her legs. Melanie fell into it, hands clasped tightly to her chest. He was disoriented. She would give him that. And at least he was awake. But it still hurt. She drew her legs beneath her in classic Melanie style, gaze shifting between her brother and Natalie, whoever she was.

"Closer.." Said the serpent to Eve in that Garden of Eden when he was trying to tempt her with the forbidden fruit of desire. Nice to see you? She didn't seem to be wearin a 'nice to see you' expression seconds earlier. In spite of himself he was trying to fabricate one of those roguish grins even though it hurt like hell, he was still so bruised near the corners of his mouth, the patchwork of mottled color near his jaw and sealing his right eye shut.
    But he could see well and fine out his left and was that an wicked gleam sparking there? Couldn't be, he was just delirious.

"Kiss me," he murmured. It was a softly spoken demand. Melanie cover your eyes.
    He could only think of the night he had first met her when he was still committed to another and the raw hunger bloomed anew once again in remembrance of the breathless ache. "Melanie. This is Natalie. She's... beautiful." Well, he meant...she made a career out of her looks but that was close enough, right? He winced when he tried to turned his head to look in his sister's direction. "Hey, we.. ahh..well, I don't remember exactly when we met (his mind was still foggy) but it was at the tavern."

He returned his attention back to Nat then and he felt his mouth part and soften at the sight of her. Need. That he wasn't expecting to feel again. Not after Shannon. Or Gina. He literally blew his mind. He was getting a bit grouchy now and it suited the Grumpy Bear stuffed toy that sat near all the flowers and well wishes adorning his window sill. "I wanted you the very instant I saw you." So much for 'howudoin'? Again, Mel look away!

Oh, God. Melanie rolled her eyes and pushed out of the chair. Fully intending to quit the room for the hall. Three was a crowd, and she was just his sister. Melanie paused to offer Natalie a smile. "It's nice to meet you." That was it. She disappeared, shaking her head once she was outside the sick room. "I'm so glad I made myself schizophrenic with worry." At least some of her former humor had returned. A small fraction. She was walking back to Dylan, restless hands tying her hair into a knot at the base of her skull. "Do you have a ride?"

A flush rose high upon tawny cheeks, and she flashed an embarassed smile at Melanie.
    "Hi. Nice introduction, huh?" There was nervous fidgeting. "It's nice to meet you, too."
    Kohl-smudged greys were shifting back to Mackenzy, and she collapsed in her prior chair. How could she refuse a kiss? "Cowboy..." There was another shake of espresso curls, and her lips twitched with amusement. "I can't just kiss you." But damn, she was glad he was back! Digits rose and splayed themselves across his cheek in a tender gesture.
    "Y'know... nevermind." She blinked away thoughts, and just smiled charmingly down at him. "You were just being lazy."

He brightened once the bookworm emerged and his smile warmed perhaps some of the chill she felt from her brother's less than heartwarming reunion with her. He nodded. "Och, I was jus' going to call a cab. I would be forever in your debt. Or I could just buy you a coffee and we could call it even." His smile was of the liquid knee variety and more than a few lasses' hearts had skipped a beat at the appearance of those dimples now coming out of hiding. Don't say he wasn't a generous fellow! He had signed out long ago and could have left whenever it had suited him but found himself loathe to make his departure until he had the chance to speak with Melanie again.

His chuckle was rusty and caused more pain than it was worth. He pulled off one of those little boy pouts. "You would refuse a dying man a meager kiss? Damn, woman. You're so cold." He looked all morose and shit. His eyes renewed to life with an inner glow of fiery conviction. As though remembering something from a fuzzy dream.
    "What happened to loving me forever if I talked to you?" Busted Nat. He was merciless, continuing on. "And all the fun stuff we would do ..and who the fuck is this jerkoff you have a date with tonight?" Surprised? Yeah, he had heard all that. Just couldn't respond!
    Ha. Poor Natalie.

"My brother can obviously fare perfectly well without me, so let's go." Jacket was zipped under the coaxing of delicate fingers and the hood replaced atop her head. It had served a dual purpose of late, alternately hiding her from the world and keeping the lecherous Old Man Winter from nibbling at her ears. Melanie moved behind him and took hold of the handles at his broad shoulders. "You don't have to buy me coffee to pay me back." She wheeled him outside. "You have to buy me coffee just because." Oh my, was she flirting? Granted, it was more of an ultimatum, but for Melanie it was a step in uncharted territory. And a bold one at that.

"I wouldn't refuse to kiss you. I just need some persuading." Brows waggled at him teasingly, and she shook her head firmly at his next comment. "Besides... you aren't dying. And actually... I'm quite warm thank you." The sounds of her following laughter, was soft, and she bent her head towards him. "Well... as soon as you get off your ass, we would go do fun stuff. And his name is Thane, but... slowdown, Cowboy." She pursed lips, stalling more laughter. "Will you be my heeeero?" Drawled out, and she fluttered lashes at him. See the doe eyes?! Free hand was hovering about the split in her lip, hiding it from view. They hadn't even taken any shots of her face because of the damn thing. "So how much we placin' on the wager?" Quick glance to the coffee that was stone-cold by now.

He laughed. A seductively warm, and rich sound. "Ahh, sweet Melainee, how I have missed you." He spoke the comment casually and he was fumbling with zipping up his leather jacket while she wheeled him through the sliding emergency doors and thought nothing of it more after that. But his words were sure to have ellicited some form of response. A clearing of the throat, a mild coloring of skin. That was just how the shy one operated even if she was trying to test her flirting wings.

"Persuade you, hmm?" An arrested expression crossed his face like a few clouds overshading an otherwise radiantly sunny day. His voice was still sandpaper rough and all this sudden activity was making him quite fatigued. His head lolled back on his pillow and he allowed his eyes to drift shut for a few moments. Speaking then in an infinitely velvet-soft tone then."I'll be anything you want, baby. I have the white horse, I have a black steed. Any preference for your knight in slightly tarnished armor?" His mouth lifted at the corners some.
    Heavy lidden gaze swiveled in her direction once more as she studied every inch of her face as though committing it to memory. Suddenly, he frowned. Staring at her hand. Or more importantly whatever she was trying to hide behind it. "Nat? What happened?" So softly. Maybe she didn't wish to discuss it. But not only was he a stubborn bastard, he could be quite persistant.

He reached out with a grunt of pain and lulled her closer, the arm not occupied with the IV curling around her waist. Palm flattening against the base of her spine. Searing its imprint through the thin barrier of her clothing as he studied her face anxiously.
    "I would never let anyone bring harm to you." Maybe it wasn't what she needed to hear, maybe it was. But it was the honest truth and he was a straightforward man. More often than not speaking both his thoughts and feelings aloud. Especially after the accident that had nearly robbed him of his life the first time. His fingers continued to stroke, reassuring her even further with his touch along with his whispered confession.

He missed her. This was going to make her 'I'm never falling in love' plan harder to execute. As per usual, albeit slightly delayed, his words pricked her cheeks with color.
    Melanie rubbed at her warmed skin as she pushed him up to her newly purchased P.O.S.
    She locked the wheels of his chair. "The seat on this side is kind of falling apart," she said in half apology. Unlocking the door, she swept out into the parking lot the foam that the passenger seat had puked up. She propped the door open with her hip and reached for him. "Did they give you crutches, or is this coming with us?

"I prefer no armor." She was shushing him even as she spoke, finger placing it's self light upon his lips. "Are you ever quiet?" Head tilted, and she regarded him quietly. "Nothing happened, I fell." What in the hell was he thinking?! Worry not about her... she was as tough as nails. His concern for her and the warmth of his touch had her melting in closer with a weary sigh, and the hand that was stroking his cheek hovered over his eyes, a trick to keep them shut. "Sleep, Cowboy."

His beam was triumphant. "This bairn's comin' home with me. Hot piece o' arse catchin' wheels, aye? All the lasses do profess to love a man with his own transportation. Wha? What is it that amuses you so?" He seemed bewildered, as though not expecting the laughter, but Dylan, really, sometimes was too hysterical for his own good. Not knowing he had said anything funny made it that much more uproariously hilarious.

Mac's arm tightened with an amazing amount of strength for a man that professed to be in such dire straits. He hauled the pretty model against his chest and whispered against her mouth. They were almost nose to nose. "Not until I get what I want. And I usually get what
    I want." Well, not really but he thought it made him sound tough. He was Mr. Tough Guy on the outside shielding a marshmallow center remember? But enough talking. He fused his mouth against the seam of her own, searing her with a single, breath stealing embrace of lips, no tongue. He wasn't in his best roguish form apparently. It was only a brief brush.
    A nothing even. Then he was relenting and drawing back, mouth curving at one corner to form a lopsided smile that had caused hearts to flutter all over the Texas rodeo circuit.

"That was worth the wait. You're going to be my favorite new addiction, Natalie," he murmured against the underside of her chin. Then his arm fell away and he yawned.
    Tired after all the excitement of the day. It had been a doozy to be sure. "Thanks for being here." Mumbled beneath his breath and he had that pulse-quickening bedroom voice that had more than hearts melting. His mouth tilted into another wobbly smile and then he was dead to the world. Well, sleeping anyway.

She burst into laughter--the kind that made her cheeks ache--and made him sit back down until she caught her breath. "Right.." she sighed as she sobered, "The wheelchair is right up there with a walker and a dialysis machine. You're going to have to beat the women off with a stick." Blowing a final calming breath, Melanie helped transfer Dylan from the wheelchair to the passenger seat. Then she set to the task of folding up the former, which was as difficult as it might have looked. She crammed it into the backseat and jogged around to the driver's side. Inside, she sat back and gave herself a moment to let the day catch up. Mackenzy's awakening had been rather anticlimatic. In the brief moments of suspended hope, she decided that she wouldn't leave after all. Now, with the less than warm reunion behind her, she was second guessing her second guess. Hazel eyes flickered to Dylan. Hm.
    "So, where's home?"

There was a small murmur at the kiss, a mixture between one of approval and surprise.
    "And you're going to be a pain my ass." She was only poking fun, and the smile belied the taunt. She briefly rested upon him, mindful of the tender spots. An exhale of breath escaped between pursed lips, and she watched him trail off to sleep. "What you're going to do, Cowboy... is steal my heart if I'm not careful." Silly thoughts in a little girl's world. A gentle kiss was placed upon the corner of his mouth, where the bruises were less. "Sleep and dream well." Crooned words of well wishes for Dream Land.

The wound expression he wore wasn't entirely feigned. In fact, sooner than she could bat an eye he was scowling. "You seem to find much humor in me, dear 'Lainee, I have no idea what causing you so much mirth but I shall not put forth too much of a complaint for it's good to see you smiling again. The warmth that rivals the heat of a summer's day, and makes the glow of the moon weep with envy and shame." There was the poetic jock she remembered. The one that plied her with such pretty speech on their initial enounter at the book cafe on the corner of 5th and Main where they had first locked eyes over Walt Whitman. "Y'have visited my apartment once before, it pains me to think that y'dinna remember. Och, I'm jus' teasin' y' bonnie lass. Tell you want, let me buy you that cup of coffee. We could head over to that coffee shop we seem to share a fond liking for. That is if you have not any other previous engagements."

He was polite and smoothly articulate as usual. And it would probably throw the poor bookworm for a loop still hearing such clearly educated speech spill from the mouth of a football player. Yes, be both shocked and amazed. He would be selling tickets to the freak show soon. He pulled a comical face at his own self-deprecating thoughts and passed a glance out the passenger side window.

Cowboy grunted in his sleep for the pain in the ass comment. As though on some level hearing and trying to argue. His mouth responded to the kiss though even in his state of repose. Lifting into a fleeting smile for her efforts before snuffling back into his pillow.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nat was scootin' back in the chair, wincing at every little squeak. She unfolded her self from the crumpled position she had been forced to lay/sit in, and rose from the chair with a languid stretch. A peer into the petite handbag, and she withdrew pen and a old receipt.

A hurried scribble of the cell that tagged along
    with her every step, and she placed it upon the
    bed-side table.

"Night, Cowboy." Whisper-soft, and Natalie was heading out the door. He'd see her tomorrow. Cheek to bird-shoulder as she cast a backwards glance, giving a rueful shake of head. Down the hall, and out the double glass doors.

(This and the previous entry taken from live play 1.11.05)

Inactive Member perilousburning's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll always remember
    It was late afternoon
    It lasted forever
    And ended too soon
    You were all by yourself
    Staring up at a dark gray sky
    I was changed

In places no one would find
    All your feelings so deep inside (deep inside)
    It was then that I realized
    That forever was in your eyes
    The moment I saw you cry

The moment that I saw you cry

It was late in september
    And I've seen you before (and you were)
    You were always the cold one
    But i was never that sure
    You were all by yourself
    Staring at a dark gray sky
    I was changed

The moment I saw you cry

I wanted to hold you
    i wanted to make it go away
    I wanted to know you
    I wanted to make your everything, all right....

I'll always remember...
    It was late afternoon...
    In places no one would find...

The moment I saw you cry

(I wanted to know you...)

-Mandy Moore "Cry"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The tenuous slip of a woman had returned to the hospital once more.Something about Cowboy's eyes had echoed into her soul, resonating it with vibrations. No designer boots, no mask. Just Natalie in a pair of low-slung blue jeans that were tattered at the them. Comfortable. The way Cowboy made her feel. Good in her own skin, without the lining of khol to frame eyes. She shimmied up next to the desk, grinning brightly at the receptionist. Clipboard was eagerly plucked up, and she inked her feminine scrawl upon the lined paper. "Thanks, ma'am." Easy wink to the woman, and Natalie was moving within his quarters.
    Was he awake, or shall she poke and prod him awake?

He couldn't wipe the smile off his face that had lingered once he had awakened at a shamelessly late hour this afternoon. Those piercing grey-greens brightened upon hearing
    a familiar husky drawl just outside in the corridor. She had the kind of melodic voice that carried its lyricism well beyond the corridor and would enchant all that were open to receive it. He was awake! But feigning sleep. Sneaky bastard.

Heavy lids fluttered closed, ink stains of charcoal black dusting the lean skin of his hollowed out cheekbones (due to the hospital quality food which would make the heartiest appetites to quail) as he affected a convincing snore (yes, he did it once in a while but he would adamantly deny it if asked) once he caught sounds of the model's approach.Who knows? If she thought he was asleep maybe she would reveal more tantalizing tidbits of conversation, like yesterday? Stop grinning, fool.
    That would be the one thing that would give him away. His mouth quirked and he struggled for a sober expression. Snoooore.

Brows dropped as she saw him snoozing away, smile melting to one of tenderness.
    "Lazzzy Cowboy..." Words crooned in a rare tone, soothing and taunting. No need for a chair, as she perched feather-light beside him. "Hey..." Naked fingers spilled themselves across his neck, the gentle skin between neck and shoulder. "...Cowboy."
    He better wake up so she could tell him about what she had underneath the plain jane clothing. "Y'know... you always sleep at the good parts!" She bent, mouth a hair away from ear. "You should see this new lingerie I got today."

He gave a groggy yawn and rolled the sun-bronzed forearm away from his forehead as he pried apart his lashes to blink with choir boy innocence. His warm baritone was suffused with masculine appreciation for the sight for sore eyes now filling his mind.

"Heey, bellisima.." Rumble of sleepy foreign lyricism. "You came back."
    He was pleased as punch in case she couldn't readily discern that. And she had something intriguing beneath her clothing?! He wanted to see. Natalie would make a damn fine candy striper. He was grinning and giving her a blatantly suggestive once over with those liquid knee causing emerald-greens. ...Lingerie?? Supermodels. And. Lingerie. She had his attention perked right up with that admission. Excuse the drool. On him it was charming, right?
    Of course it was!

"Mmm, the sleeping cowboy awakes." It was purr of amusement, and she leaned close to brush lips to the smooth skin of his forehead. "Naturellement, vous homme bel." Lips moved against his skin, before dipping away to peck the tip of his strong nose.
    "Of course I would, you beautiful man." Translation. Yes, he was beautiful. The ones who carved Grecian statues had carved his own frame, and she ran a appreciative eye over it. Throw the gown away!

She could rip the gown off if she wanted though he wasn't sure of what the orderlies would think of that! Now that he was awake (in more ways than one) he would have to be sure to request his own private room. He still had a few days yet remaining to tough it out in this slumhole. It wasn't the nicest hospital in Rhydin, not by a long shot. But he figured it wouldn't matter if he was just going to die there anyways. Fate, apparently had other designs on the future for the cowboy's destiny. The murmur of french had the muscles of his lower abdomen quickening in response. God bless sexah foreign accents! Him? Beautiful? Blush.
    He was naught but a simple cowboy living an even simpler life. With more than the recommended daily allowance of drama to boot. That he could definitely do without.

"Siete bello vero quello," he murmured as he cupped the side of her face. Calloused pad
    of his thumb tracing the satin curve. You are the truly beautiful one. It seemed clear enough to him! Why wasn't such a precious treasure already coveted by another?
    He didn't ask questions, just like you didn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Whatever that meant.

"I'm glad. How was your date?" Casually, as though he really didn't care about the answer. He allowed his touch to fall away and soon that hand was snuggling back under the covers. Chilly in here today. He could do with some warming up. Natalie could reveal her sassy new duds anytime she wished. Hint hint. Lazy grin.

She sighed at his touch, the breath laden with sensuality. "Cowboy..." His own foreign song was bringing a touch of rose to cheek, and she dipped her cheek fully upon his palm.
    "My date..." She wrinkled her pert nose at him, lips flatenning momentarily.
    "...didn't show." No, not devastated. Relieved, she supposed. Wonder if good ol' Cowboy here had something to do with that. "Anywho... how do you feel...?"

She was squirming to edge closer to him, utmost caution taken. She didn't want to hurt the poor man. He gaze shifted, and she turned a narrowed peer to his eyes. Reading.
    "You heard every word I said when you were... sleeping, didn't you?" Devilish cowboy, amusement was rich within tone, light eyes sparking with mirth. "Y'know, Cowboy..."
    She'd forever call him Cowboy, her endearment. "... I wanted you from the first time I saw you." She had used his own words, and she taunted him mercilessly. Yes, she had.
    Even wanted the pie that had rose to the delectable mouth of his. Yes, he was eating pie that night! She remembered!

"Stupido sciocco," he sneered. Well, that bastard's loss was his gain, right? Grey-greens flared as she mimicked his own words of the previous evening. He had been delirious and hadn't remembered much of what he had said in that loopy, drug-induced haze of some alternate reality.

Actually, he had ordered the pie but hadn't taken a single bite. That much he remembered. All he could think of that night was how could he be wanting another so badly that it ached when he professed to be head over heels for someone else. But the heart is a fickle thing.
    It wants what it wants. And that night he had wanted her.

His palms became sweaty, his heart tripping an unsteady rhythm when he recalled that evening in great detail. Swallowing. The muscles in his throat working furiously with the convulsive reflex. Whiskeyed growl emerging from the back of his throat.
    "You did? Honestly? Dios, Natalie.." She was killing him, here! Her name was hardly anything more than a helpless groan. Carnal hunger licking at his insides like a brush fire and the blood quickened within his veins, the rush almost a deafening roar within his ears.
    Thud-thud. Could she hear the drumbeat of his heart? The EKG machine gave a suspicious blip to indicate the cowboy's current state of anxious excitement. So much for playing it cool and hard to get. He was tired of all the games. He was just so..tired. His head found his pillow against as he relented but his eyes kept up the steady gaze into her own. Drawn there by some sort of magnetic force. He couldn't look away. Didn't want to even.

"Hmm, y'know... whatever you said in Italian... I'm sure it described the man perfectly." Lashes fluttered, and she rewarded him with her best doe-eyed stare.
    "I was heartbroken, Cowboy." Words to bring a stream of jealousy, and lips twitched at her own antics. Cowboy made her blood run thicker, his whiskey drawl curled toes and brought fire to eyes. Goosebumps had risen along the surface of her skin every time he spoke in that low tone, and she was squirming in her spot. "Cowboy... of course, doll." She meant it. Every word. Ones he heard, and the ones in her head. Natalie was a walking on a cloud, here. Greys were dark with more than just affection... desire. That full lower lip was suckered
    in between rows of white, and she cast him a peek from a fan of chocolate lashes.

"You're eyes are like the smoke-grey of the most passionate part of a lightning storm.
    I could drown in them forever." Bedroom murmur far too intimate for their present surroundings but that didn't stop him from giving free reign to his wayward tongue.
    See! He could be romantic and poetic when he chose. He had even written a few sappy love songs for his ex. Natalie had a face that could launch a thousand ships, inspire the most jaded writer to fill hundreds of storybooks to describe her innate beauty and there weren't enough volumes to hold all her matchless charms.

He grinned, a lopsided parody of a smile. One that caused the corners of his eyes to crinkle in an attractive fashion and the steel encased emerald to gleam. Hands withdrew from beneath the covers with an enviable swiftness and he snagged his arm not weighed down by the IV drip around the curve of her waist, fingertips brushing along the sides of her coltish frame. Heated drawl more blistering than a Texas sunrise.

"When do I get to see this groovy new lingerie? Or were you just teasing a poor injured cowboy? Wicked woman. God, I love it." He laughed, a seductively rich and gravel-rough sound which reverberated within that well-defined chest. He was nuzzling somewhere near the underside of her chin. Shit, she smelled so good. His lower body stirred instinctively in response.

"Mackenzy." She had finally uttered his name, and it was rolling off her tongue huskily.
    The heat that enriched her tone had a flush simmering low upon that lean figure. Lips dropped, held slightly agape as his fingers burned a path down her side. Lord, never has a touch felt like this. She was melting into the embrace with a small murmur, arching into it like a kitten mewling for the affections offered by the owner. Sultry greys had darkened to slate, and they were half-mast as heat pooled low in her groin.

"You will as soon as you get your arse to my house." She moaned, half in protest even as she swooped down to capture his lips beneath his. "Cowboy... what are you doing to me?" The words were muttered as she pressed brazen kiss to his mouth, melding lips to hers.

What are you doing to me, Cowboy? He stiffened suddenly as soon as she murmured those words, feeling an eerie sense of deja-vu. He opened his mouth to apologise, protest or something but then he was being robbed of all breath with that brazen kiss pressed so hungrily against his mouth. Fuck it. He forced himself to relax and his tongue darted along the seam of her mouth to trace the inner skin of her lower curving lip, leave his imprint on the satin expanse of her delectable flesh.

His free hand slid away from the gentle curve of her hip to smooth up the side of her waist and flatten against the latter of her ribs. Without hesitation he filled a calloused palm with
    the sumptuous swell of her breast. For a man with such rough hands his touch was infinitely tender, worshipful even. He was just testing the weight of the globe within his hand.
    Pad of his thumb encircling the hardened peak that puckered through the thin barrier of the fabric.

His mouth closed greedily several times over her own, nudging her lips apart impatiently and plunging his tongue inside that sweltering cavern of her mouth, sampling the sweetness afforded within. Somewhere in the fever pitch of his brain a voice was screaming. Crying. Stop! But he chose to ignore it hoping that it would go away on its own. It was just a low droning buzz right now anyways.

Natalie was different from Shannon in every possible way. That earlier admission had just been sheer coincidence. Nothing more. Wasn't it? He decided he didn't want to dwell too much upon it. His palm squeezed over the softly yielding tissue, wondering what sort of sounds he could cause her to make. Rogue in him and all. Some things never changed.

No sooner had she placed her lips upon his, did they still when she felt him grow tense.
    Had she said something? Lips pulled back from his, enough so her gaze could rake over his face, quizzically. The inhale to question him left on hiss as his fingers fell to the roundness of breast. "Mackenzy." The word was dragged from the back of her throat, on the heel of a softly sounded moan. Something was wrong. Sense were tingling, ripe beneath his touch.

"Oh..." It was a sound of desperation, and she slumped against his hand. "Mackenzy..." Name was pressed to his lips as they tore her own asunder. Lord, what was she getting herself into? The kiss was being broken, and she was left with lips tenderly swollen from the passion. "Oh, lord..." Tawny cheeks were tainted red, and a shaky hand rose to hover above the quickly paced beating of heart.

He knew that sound as he was quite a perceptive lover in reading the lingua di amore. It was the unmistakable moan of a woman balanced on the cusp of unbridled passion. Mercifully, he relented his attentions at her breast and lifted fingers to trace her kiss reddened, swollen mouth. His own kicking up in an infinitely slow, maddening smile.

"Li desidero cos? tanto," he murmured in a way that would have even the sturdiest, ice princess melting in her designer shoes. I want you so much. Cowboy wasn't playing fair.
    He knew it but there wasn't much they could do about that right now so he figure there wasn't anything wrong with playing with fire. He was still thinking about what lay beneath those street clothes of hers. Some Victoria's Secret scrap of lace and silk to have him going to benediction on his knees in all likelihood. His mouth quirked apart at the notion.
    Then he was rasping stubble along the curve of her neck while he gave a pretended snap of his teeth. Gruffly. "I'm glad you came to visit." Casually. He was so bad!

"Mmmm." She was purring into the sweel of his ear, swiping pink muscle across it. Natalie wasn't without her own weapons and wiles, she shifted, pressing the upper curve of her body to his. She was on fire. Flesh-pink of peaks had risen against the thin material of her cotton long sleeve, and she was murmuring something inaudible. "Mackenzy... darlin'."
    Fingers were trailing a path from his chest to lay low upon his abdomen, siphoning the warmth his body offered. Amused greys slid languidly up to capture his, and she allowed the lips to be tugged upwards in a secret smile. "When do you get to leave?"

"Well, hell. I wish I leave right now. I could use a decent home cooked meal." Or a night out at his favorite Italian bistro. He groaned as he affected a sigh of long suffering patience. "Doctor says I'm gonna be right as rain in a few more days. This is tortuuure.." He flattened the warmth of his palm against the base of her spine and caressed. "Will you take care of me when I'm released? I'll need someone to nurse me back to health and aid in my rehabilitation." His grin was endearingly boyish and yet so appealing that it would be sure
    to raise her temperature a few dangerous degrees.

Then he remembered himself and coughed. Trying to pull a pathetically helpless face.
    At least he didn't have to deal with crutches this time. Thank heaven for small miracles. Blunt force head trauma hadn't resulted in amnesia this time either. Though he had a few blocked memories he couldn't quite grasp but those were mainly focused in on the events leading to the fight itself. He didn't recall blurting out to Shannon that he still loved her.
    The last thing he remembered actually was her hovering above him and screaming for an ambulance. "You may be my nurse." Firmly. Apparently, in the cowboy's mind..the decision had been made! He could be exasperatingly stubborn when he wanted to be.

"Lemme tell you what... how 'bout I bring you whatever your heart desires. Name it, and I'll cook it..." Thumb smudged a path across hollow cheek, and she tsked softly. "I don't think they tortued you much..." More than likely she had misunderstood him. She raked a hand through the espresso curls that framed god-dusted visage, and shot him her most charming smile. "Well... what type of things am I going to have to do for my poor, poor patient?"

Something about Mackenzy just caused Natalie to go along with the flow. She felt smooth in his touch, when for so long she felt like she was a jagged piece of stone. Too many thorns, and yet when he touched her... he didn't get pricked. "Does this mean you have to stay at my place, or I come regularly to yours?" Dark brows quirked over greys, thumb continuing it's circular motion upon the stubborn line of his jaw.

He grinned. "From what I hear my place is a virtual zoo these days. My brother and his girlfriend, and the horse trainer my first ex fiancee hired to look after the horseflesh I'm keeping stabled for her at my ranch. But she's currently occupying the guest house.
    Looks like your place is the more favorable option." He yawned expressively.
    "An ailing patient needs his peace and quiet." His mouth turned up at the corners.
    "I'll take you up on that offer. And the things my nurse should do to see to my well being? Hm.." He had to think on that one for awhile. Did she have a naughty nurse outfit? No, bad thoughts, silly boy. "Three square meals a day. Help me wash my back. Keep me entertained and comfortable and we should get along famously." He wasn't that demanding, really. She would soon find out for herself that this was a lie. Just don't give him one of those annoying bells to ring. She'd be wanting to wring his neck by the time the recovery period was over.

"It's in the city." Her house, simple as it was, three bedroom, 2 bath. She needed nothing more at the time. "You know... since I'm your nurse... you are my knight, right?"
    She winked at him, massaging a small path down his arm. "Keep you amused, hmm?"
    She turned a devilish sloe-eyed glance to him, lips curving. "I know countless ways."

She snapped teeth at him, inching upwards to graze lips across his. "You know... I have a feeling you are going to be trouble." She chuckled softly, and then the chin came to jutt out stubbornly. "Will you help me wash my back?"

Did she see the sudden flare of interest in his mesmerizing grey-greens? "I'll help you with whatever parts of your body need attention, bella amore.." Rumble of dirty Italian lingo and his accompanying grin was enough to have her blushing to the roots of her hair, even though he had a feeling that Natalie wasn't one to be unsettled easily. For this reason, he took a perverse thrill out of upsetting her composure. Cooly poised and picture perfect. She sort reminded him of his older sister except for the considerably difference in years.

His grin broadened to something far more intimate and knowing then as he traced his thumb along the angle of her smooth jaw. Dark brow arching. "I'd be interesting in hearing these ways you would serve to alleviate my boredom. I have Trivial Pursuit. Are you very good at games?" Such a loaded question but phrased in such an innocently nonchalant way.
    He had a feeling this was going to be the start of a very interesting commraderie ...and relationship. Only time would tell. Roll with the punches and bend with the changing winds. All about the luck of the draw. At least for once he wasn't opposing this shift in the winds
    of fate. Destiny's agenda kept on surprising him each and everyday.

He leaned to brush his mouth near her brow and couldn't suppress the yawn.
    "Thank you for coming to see me. I should get some rest now." Sleepy murmur but nonetheless warm. "If you had the sudden urge to sneak in after visiting hours to sneak me some contraband I won't refuse it. I like Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby." He was incorrigible. He'd been craving the stuff for weeks now. His favorite comfort food when he was feeling under the weather.

"I prefer actions over descriptive words, darlin'." She was always drawlin' out her endearments for the Cowboy, a croon. "Yes, you should cowboy. I can't have you wearin' out on me so soon. I need you in full health." She reached up to run nails through his hair, smiling down. "Chunky monkey is so much better." Mmm, banana ice cream with pecans and chocolate chunks. They were going to get along splendidly.

"Y'know... I'll sneak us both in some... and it can be our little secret. Rest easy, cowboy... while you can... I'm not an easy nurse." She winked, watching his eyes droop close.
    Voice had fallen soft with the own closing of his eyes, and that rare smile bloomed.
    "Night, Mackenzy."

"Mm...I'll love you forever if you can get me either or. I'm not--" He broke off in another yawn. "..Not too particular in the junk food department." He was already drifting. Not even realising that he had repeated word for word what she had admitted to him the other afternoon. Imagine that.

She stood, easing herself from his form ever so quietly. A dropped kiss to his forehead, and she ambled out the door. Yes, good night Cowboy. Thoughts were derailed, and she shook her head in retreat. Trouble. The both of them were.

(Taken from live play 1.12.05)

<font color="#996600" size="1">[ January 13, 2005 02:52 AM: Message edited by: incomplete addiction ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<center>
    Hope dangles on a string
    Like slow spinning redemption
    Winding in and winding out
    The shine of it has caught my eye

And roped me in
    So mesmerizing, so hypnotizing
    I am captivated

I am Vindicated
    I am selfish
    I am wrong
    I am right
    I swear I'm right
    I swear I knew it all along

And I am flawed
    But I am cleaning up so well
    I am seeing in me now
    The things you swore you saw yourself

So clear
    Like the diamond in your ring
    Cut to mirror your intentions
    Oversized and overwhelmed
    The shine of which has caught my eye

And rendered me
    So isoloated, so motivated
    I am certain now that

So turn
    Up the corners of your lips
    Part them and feel my finger tips
    Trace the moment, fall forever

Defense is paper thin
    Just one touch and I'd be in
    Too deep now to ever swim against the current
    So let me slip away
    So let me slip against the current
    So let me slip away

Slight hope
    It dangles on a string
    Like slow spinning redemption...

Dashboard Confessional </center>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He was asleep when she and Dylan stopped in to say their goodbyes. Rather than wake him, Melanie scrawled a quick note and left it on his chest.

Kenzy,

Welcome back. Things were difficult while you were away, so now it's my turn to leave. I'm not going alone, but I don't know when I'll be back. Try not to take any more blows to the head while I'm gone.

Love you,
    Mel

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The first thing he noticed was the mild scent of the lillies that had been placed on the nightstand next to his hospital bed. The second, the envelope propped against the crystal vase with his name in a messy scrawl. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and rolled over onto his side with a softly uttered oath for the pain it caused him. Reaching to turn on the overhead light to cast a dull glow over the grim room. He was all alone now. Having requested his privacy and been granted a room of his own. He shook out the letter and read the brief missive, grunting to himself before stuffing the single sheet of vellum back into its envelope and crumpling it within his fist. Then his eyes fell upon the stargazer lillies and a surge of memories coarsed through him at the sight, enough to cause a lump of emotion to swell within his chest and lodge within his throat. He fingered a few petals and then stared without seeing into space.

"I see you found the flowers, Mr. Cord. A woman stopped by while you were taking a rest. I asked her if she was wanting to go in and visit you she seemed hesitant as though wrestling with the decision then she told me to deliver those to you room and to tell you... goodbye." The nurse clucked her tongue in sympathy as she finished her discourse. She checked his vitals, took his blood pressure and set a fresh pitcher of ice water on his night stand. Then she passed the cowboy another pitying glance and hurried from the room.

Leaving Mackenzy once again with his own tortured thoughts. Goodbye.
    He turned off the light and burrowed back beneath the covers, wishing for the welcome respite of unconsciousness once more if only to block out the unimaginable pain now griping his chest.
    Tears welled but were locked tight and refused to fall. He had never felt so bleak.

Goodbye, Shannon.