It was much hotter outside, although the sun was beginning to go down. Even though he didn?t want to, he was forced to take the sweater off. Climbing back inside his truck, he wadded the fabric into a ball and threw it into a bag. Lying down on his stomach, he rubbed his face with his hands. Was this even worth it? So many questions he hadn?t even thought of before were coming up and he couldn?t seem to find the answers.

He could just cry again. But, it seems he was too tired to even do that, soon enough he was asleep.

Sleep couldn?t even last forever; he was awoken by a tapping on his window.

`` Mmhm? `` He mumbled, as if that was really a word. Looking up over his shoulder, he realized the sun had completely set and maybe it had for a few hours because it was beginning to get cold again.

Tapping on his window was the young blonde girl.

`` Hey. Demitri. Open up. `` She ordered. Her voice was severely muffled.

His eyebrows furrowed and he sat up slowly. He would take his time before finally rolling down the window.

`` Yes? `` He couldn?t bring himself to be rude to a sixteen year-old prostitute, even if she was bent on destroying his love life.

`` I?m sorry I said all those things. `` Her eyes fell to the dirt below. `` I should know anything?s possible. It?s just, I tend to be pessimistic -- is that what they call it? ``

Demitri nodded.

`` I?m just pessimistic sometimes and that?s like how it is with love. I?m not usually into romance and stuff. I?ve just never met anyone like you before, Demitri. `` She smiled at this, which caused him to smile involuntarily.

`` How?d you meet Kenny? `` Demitri asked, still a little confused about that entire situation.

Marnie leaned lazily on his door. She was still wearing the same thing -- or would it be better to say she was still wearing practically nothing?

`` He stays in this motel all the time, ?cause he?s always makin? deliveries. `` She explained, looking out behind the truck at the freeway behind them.

`` D-did you sleep with him? `` He regretted asking it the second the words left his mouth. He bit down on his bottom lip and looked away quickly, instantly feeling guilty.

`` Jesus! I don?t sleep with everything that moves, Demitri! `` Marnie yelled. She looked a little angry as she continued her story. `` No, well he wouldn?t sleep with me. When I told him what I was doing there he was real sick about it. He just called the cops and told them about my situation and they came down and tried to find me. But, I got this deal with the manager, sometimes I split the money with him in addition to rent so I get to keep doing that. ``

`` He?s like your pimp? `` Demitri asked.

`` Yeah, I guess you could say that. He?s real nice, though. He never threatens me or anything like the pimps I see on TV. `` She continued to try and explain, but with every word Demitri felt sorrier for her.

Staying quiet, Demitri nodded gently. He looked out the opposite window, seeing the tail end of Kenny?s semi peeking out from the side of the motel. For some reason it was comforting to know he was still there, he was a little mad at himself for being so mad at Kenny.

`` How ?bout you let me in there, Demitri. `` She smiled and ran her index finger down his arm, which was resting on the door.

He gently moved his arm away, smiling very slightly, `` I think you should go to bed, Marnie. ``

She sighed and looked around. `` I don?t usually go to bed so early, you know. ``

`` Consider it a treat -- a day off sort of thing. `` He widened his smile, trying to make the deal sweeter.

Marnie thought about it and shrugged. `` Okay. Thanks, Demitri. `` And she started to walk away.

`` Good night, Marnie. ``

She turned around and quickly walked back to the truck -- he was surprised to see her barefoot.

`` Hey, will you promise to wake me up before you go. Like, come say good-bye to me. ?Cause I might never see you again. ``

`` You?ll see me again. `` He reassured.

`` How? ``

`` I?ll come back -- with Wendy. We?ll both come back and see you. We?ll take you away from this motel and show you the good life. `` His smile was wide, and not because he was trying to make any deal sweeter -- it was genuine.

Marnie grinned, nodded and leaned in to plant a kiss on Demitri?s cheek. A few moments later she was out of sight and almost out of mind. Rolling up the window, he collapsed back on the seat of his truck. It took him a while to get back to sleep, but once he was he was out like a light.