Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Eyes just rolled and more cereal stuffed into his mouth. Chewing lazily as he opted to not offer Nova was a vocal response. Facial expression was something altogether different. It was here he noticed another trait in common with older immortals. He'd get into that later, because now wasn't the time to open that can of worms. Cereal finished and bowl tipped up to lips. Drained and emptied, before it was discarded to settle in sink. Workhorse wheat colored boots shift side to side as he remained seated on the kitchen counter. A deep sigh and stare toward Nova.

"Well ... what was that?"

"My student is going to pay us a visit." Said simply.

Despite the warmth of the weather outside, after that less than chilly phone conversation, Brehnic felt, well ... Cold. His sword tucked away inside his bag, the short trek to Nova's villa was underway.

"Ohhh! I'm on the edge of my ... counter." He said in response to Nova while tongue danced along inner surfaces of pearl whites. Air sucked in loudly past tongue and teeth as he sucked a bit of raisin from between teeth. She glanced Jackson over...it was impossible to tell if he was armed. But, knowing him, that was a given.

The distance would be easily covered by a light jog, which would also serve as a means to get his blood flowing. Slowing down to a brisk walk, he had taken two steps onto the driveway when it hit him ... Twice. That caused him to not only stop right in his tracks, that hand slipping into the duffle bag, brown eyes narrowing behind tinted lenses. He would have been sensed by now as well, so Brehnic would hold his ground for the moment.

When she felt Brehnic's arrival, she began a slow stroll to the front door, wanting to reassure him he was in no danger. Sure enough, there he stood in the drive, frozen. She called out to him ... "It's okay, Brehnic. There's someone here I've been wanting you to meet." Standing in the open screen door, she beckoned him in. "Really, I give you my word, it's safe.

What she couldn't see at the small of his back wouldn't hurt her. Well technically it could, but her guess with Jackson was a given. When was he not armed, even when he seemed not to be. One of the golden rules in the game ... which also worked for the Boy Scouts of America. Always be prepared. Speaking of which Jackson hopped down from the counter and his boot feet clodded along the floor and then carpet of the Villa floors as he moved from the kitchen and down the hall to fetch his little friend.

There was no doubt if Nova glanced to his back she'd see the bulge, but the Boy Scout in him walked into the bedroom ... grabbed the pool cue bag and unzipped it fully. Pulling out the
    black scabbard and letting it hand loosely at his side as he walked back up toward the kitchen and living room area. Thoughts running rampant in his mind. Some of which brought that crooked smile to his lips. A smile that would no doubt gain a narrow of the eyes from Nova as he leaned against the wall and propped one booted foot up. Arms crossed with sword sheathed within the fold. Watching the door.

Glancing back at Jackson, she gasped when she saw his katana in hand. If she could have growled at him, she would have, but it would have done no good anyway. He had his own way of "meeting" immortals. She'd promised Brehnic she would keep him safe, and dammit, she would.

Waitaminute. She was giving her word??? Well, she didn't kill Steele, so he'd trust
    her ... To a point. That same hand would continue to rest inside his bag .... Hell, this could be another test, the woman was unpredictable. "I'm likin' the fresh air right now, iffin' ye don' mind. I be meetin' ye friend out here." A small smile lingering, he was standing pat.

Jackson didn't know the kid, had never met the kid and knew only what Nova told him about the man. Why did Jackson in thought refer to him as kid and man same, because he was a man by mortal standards, but barely a newborn where he was concerned. Jackson was a senior citizen by immortal standards and at times as cranky as one.

She considered his words and weighed his trepidation. He had every right to be suspicious. That was what she was trying to teach him... "I suppose you're right, Brehnic." in response to his Jamaican accented declaration. She then turned to Jackson "He won't come in. Do you blame him? Pretty savvy for a young one. Jackson, please come outside..."

His voice ringing out quietly from behind Nova. "Paranoid much? That something he's learning from you? Trust no one? Suspect everyone and everything? Heh ... I'll go outside." A look toward Nova::: I prefer it actually ... more room to stretch!" He winked to her as he brushed past her and to outside. "Well .. E'llo Sir ... I picked
    this up from a highlander I met a few years ago ... tell me if it sounds workable to you. I am Jackson Keyes of the clan Keyes? Doesn't have the same ring as a MacLeod eh? Damned Scots!"

What's wrong with that? I told you...he's not an idio..." Her words were clipped as Jackson passed her. She quickly followed him, the screen door slamming shut behind her.

Glances to Nova... "He is a Scot isn't he? Dumbkin - Mr. Lovesick?! Heh heh!" Looks from Nova back to the man.. sizing him up as he looked him up and down. That grin crooked still present.

Hearing a voice, he cocked his head to one side, his guard still up. Now slipping into his Master Thief mode, his eyes would scan-search-pick out every detail presented to him. Now if his stomach would settle down, everything would be peaches and cream ... Or was that berries and Cream... Now was not the time to be thinking about some insane little man in a commercial!!! That small smile still remained, a nod given. "Name's Kohnar, Brehnic Kohnar." This had to be the bugger that ... Oh boy. What the Hell was
    Nova getting him into??? He had met his fair share of Immortals, but this one had every part of him on edge ...

Nova was hanging back, a trait Brehnic might think unusual, having seen her behavior the last few weeks. She seemed...small...next to them, and painfully quiet:

"Pleased to meet you?" Hands behind his back. One hand on the hilt of sword and other fist flexed around scabbard. Jackson rocked on his feet from heel to toe and toe back to heel. "So you're M'Love's student... So how is that's going? Learning much?" He glanced over shoulder toward Nova and out of habit stepped to the side to make sure neither of them were at his back fully.

This bugger had that cat that ate the canary look all about him. Old school Immortal no doubt. But why was he feeling slightly off base about the guy whom he had never met until now?? And the feeling was continuing to grow inside him. "Learnin' every moment I'm around her. "

"See, no one's going to kill anyone..." She had her palms up and facing outward in a placating gesture. "Can we just all relax now?" The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife. "Please?"

"Like what? Show your sword! I will not attack you. I have no reason to want your head, beyond the fact that there can be only one ... but that's a rule we choose to follow when it suits usually an ulterior purpose .You'll learn that in time. So ... tell me what you've learned. Just a rough highlight. I'm fascinated by all of this. Humor me." He'd nod toward
    Nova and wink... " I'm relaxed ... heh heh! Don't I look relaxed? C'mon Brehnic ... humor an old man?"

She found herself leaning against Jackson's rental car, a red Ferrari Enzo he'd parked in her driveway, watching the pair intently with arms crossed.

Now why she go and have to mention anything about killing? As if he wasn't unnerved enough!! This Jackson bugger was coming off like he was the baddest of the bad. "Then ye will understand if I won' be askin' fer any lemonade, hmmm?" Cocking his head to one side again, his grip tightening around the hilt of his sword, as it was pulled free from his bag, his stance still neutral.
    "Ye, the last time I heard somethin' like tha' I had a needle about to be jabbed into me temple ..."

She lowered her head and put her hand to her face...Jackson was going to make Brehnic walk through fire. If he came out the other side unscathed, everything would be okay. At the word 'lemonade' she looked back up.

Jackson's grip tightened on the hilt ... evident in the flex of his forearm muscles, but he made no motion to release his sword free of it's hiding. That soft grin still on his face as he stared to the man reading him the entire time, making mental notes at points of interests for later in his grilling of Nova. She had to know it would be coming. "So what kind of sword is your weapon of choice. As I've said ... choice of weapon can say a lot about the man." And there it was that rock of heels again ... one brow up and slow crooked grin on face ... returning.

It was natural for a new immortal to feel somewhat intimidated by the old ones...and Jackson was a realllly old one. He had the game down pat.

Wait ... What was Brehnic feeling ... It was like a calmness washed over him, even the way he was holding the blade felt ... Different. A small smile of his own returned. "Testin' me milk teeth are ye"?

"Heh!" He tilted his head and looked the man over ... eyeing the sword from hilt to tip, before dropping eyes back to the man's face and locked eyes for a moment. "So you've learned to be mistrusting, avoidance of offering facts and the art of misdirection ... or does that come natural?" Jackson didn't know much, but he knew the little Nova offered. Deep inhale as hand raised from scabbard and gripped at the nape of his neck to massage the muscle there. The motion seemingly an attempt to stifle yawn. "Sorry .. long flight. Jet-lag."

"Learned tha' from ye lady there. Tryin' to squash those mortal traits an' all." He was all about keeping the distance right now. Wait.. Or was it more like ... Playing Chess. Hell if he didn't pay more attention to his first mentor Jere Wulfsohng. The grip on his broadsword would remain level ... Problem was he kept wanting to hold it like .... Someone else ... His style felt ... Alien now. Facts. This bugger knows Nova's style, so don't fight like a student, recall what Jere taught him, as well what he recently picked up ... (m) "Chess it tis then." And Brehnic would make the first move.

All things considered that did earn Nova a look, before shifting eyes back to Brehnic. Another momentary chuckle. "Heh! Broadsword... familiar. I knew someone that used to favor the broadsword. Hmmph! Ironic bit of De ja vu ... again. How ... quaint." He stared at how the young immortal held the sword ... thumb pushing the hilt to dislodge it from scabbard only to reveal a bit of metal. Slight soft click heard in the release, before he looked over toward Nova in peripheral vision while keeping eyes now on the immortal. Multi-tasking visually for now ...

Suddenly Nova felt the need to explain... " Jackson, Brehnic took his first head about a two weeks ago. I told you, remember?" She knew she shouldn't, but when she saw Brehnic seem to ready himself, she unthinkingly reached out and put her hand on Jackson's sword arm. It was an unspoken
    'please...don't'.

Slight inhale as he muttered toward Nova... "You only get one of those ... and that coupon is spent with someone much older. This is my choice. Keep that in mind." Slight grin toward Nova, but his eyes were deadly serious. She knew exactly who and what he was referring to when it came to free passes ... again ... for now.

Knowing what he meant, she retracted her hand slowly and tucked it under her arm.

New at this game he might be, but Jere said he was a quick learner. Time to put it to the test. Keyes had years on his side to fall back on, while Brehnic was a product of his own time, as well a very good thief. That had to count for something. These old school Immortals had to keep up with the times, right? Probably never been in the "streets" ... So when in doubt? Brehnic attacked the man like he was possessed, hoping to catch him off guard for doing something that stupid!!

Now Jackson wasn't that old school that he couldn't learn here and there from a teacher or even one he had once called brother. That bulge at the small of his back when he previously walked down the hall to get sword was still present where he'd stowed it earlier. Nova knew Jacks always had at least three weapons .. the blades up sleeve of his trench ... there was no trench so there were no blades ... his sword Shogai and one more thing... that cute little friend of his he called Smith and Wesson.

Jackson back peddled and released the scabbard with his right hand ... pulling out the sidearm and firing at the young immortals feet in a sound of audible short clap of gunpowder thunder ... then raised the nose of the gun toward the immortals head and aimed... hammer cocked back. "Next one goes through the head and the head comes off ... back down like a good little student or die right here and right now son." All problems solved.

She opened her mouth but too stunned to make any sound, stumbling backward out of the way quickly. How could Brehnic be so foolish?? Both hands covered her mouth, her dark eyes wide as she watched hell unfold in her driveway ... The sharp report of the gun made her jump nearly out of her skin, and she involuntarily ducked. Rising slowly, her gaze played tennis between the two men. The hot midday sun was blazing down on all of them but she didn't even feel it. In fact, she shivered.

"Kronos Nova ... remember ... warn your student!" Jackson's hand flexed on the gun as one eye closed a little as he was now halfway up the steps in back peddle. "I came out here in peace ... I gave my word ... I see you haven't taught the boy the meaning of honor yet! Don't try me kid! Split second is all it takes."

WTF?? What happened just then?? Like a deer in front of head lights ... He caught himself, and sloooooooooly backed off. "Ye two are made fer each other, tha's fer
    sure!!" Nodding at Keyes, Brehnic crouched down to his knees, his sword resting across them.

"What the hell do you think you're doing??" It came out in a growl, directed down at Brehnic. Jackson had caught her by surprise. She'd expected an inquisition, but..not...a confrontation. "Brehnic...just be quiet." She hadn't perceived Brehnic as an Alpha male, since he'd done almost everything she'd asked him to without protest. But she'd been wrong. He and Keyes had faced off like two tomcats:

"You had balls kid. I give you that!" Did Jackson just say that in past tense. Slow smile starting to form on his face.

"Figured ye about seen it all, so why do th' ole song and dance, right? Wait, wha' ye mean ... Had??"

She almost did a double take ... Did Jackson just call her "Kronos??"

No ... he didn't call her Kronos. Jackson thought it over for a moment, his next course of action and decided to teach the kid a lesson of his own ... the same way he would've taught Nova by other means back nearly a decade ago now. "Oh ... what the hell?" He pulled the trigger twice and the gun sounded off as two shots went straight for Brehnic's chest. "You won't die this time kid .. and then again ... this might be your last breath ... think about this the next time you rush headlong into a battle unprepared with sheer dishonor. An immortal is your brother ... despite all... an immortal deserves honor. Honor receives honorable death ... Dishonor... well ... you get the picture now ... dontcha? And by the way ... I'm not one to be fucked with. Remember that too ... just in case I let you wake back up."

It was one of those ... Did he just ....?? Then things sort of got hazy after that ...

Thank the Gods her villa's property was so large she had no close neighbors. A steely glance to Jackson. "We just going to let him revive here? It's going to be hard to explain all these bloodstains to the next buyer."

Jackson walked over toward the kid slumped over and shoved the pistol back into the rear of his pants. Small of his back. He knelt and grabbed Brehnic's sword ... stared at his reflection in the sword. His own blue eyes staring back at him. "Who said I was going to let him come back? I'm still thinking it over and if I do let him come back .."

"Well?" Nova was standing to Jackson's side, hands on her hips. "Can I keep him?"

"He's your student .. make him clean it up. It'll teach him a little humility." Jackson swiveled the sword in his wrist from aside one hip to the other while staring down at Brehnic pondering his fate. His own katana scabbard tucked little boy toy style under
    the leather of his belt to mimic denim clad samurai while he pondered the man's fate. "He is young ... only one head under his belt ... it's not really worth it is it." He stabbed the sword about ten feet from where Brehnic laid ... sword stabbed into the grass. "He owes me. :::Jackson said toward Nova, before walking toward the house and in. "I'm thirsty ... we got any Nehi?" Standing in the doorway of the house between screen door and doorway ... looking toward Nova as if nothing had just happened.

When she heard Jackson's pronouncement, she closed her eyes and whispered. Thank you. "No, diet Sprite..." She informed Jackson, how utterly strange to be discussing soda at a time like this.

-GASP!!- "....................... Wha' ..... -coughs- Wha'.........." Hell if his chest didn't hurt like ... He'd been shot. Twice!!! It hurt to move, even more to take a breath. This hurt more than the quickening ... Sort of. Slowly, things were getting back into focus, getting up would take a little longer, as he glanced down at his chest ..."Tha' .....Bugger shot me!! Ow."

Whoa, she felt Brehnic's presence return the same time she heard him speak and it startled her. "Yes, I know." She said dryly. "I'll give you a hand up whenever you're ready."

"He's awake ... don't coddle him .. kick him in the ass! Not fuss at him ... literally ... kick him.. in... the ass for that." Jackson gave Nova a look and disappeared into the house leaving her to her student ... for now. He went right for the kitchen and into the fridge. Grabbing a... diet.. eyuch.. fucking Sprite. This just screams Super WalMart run. Once the soda was in hand he walked back over to the front door and just leaned
    there in the doorway.

"There's just no pleasing that man sometimes... " She muttered, knowing Jackson was right. "Brehnic...get up. NOW."

Watching Nova and Brehnic while sipping the soda.

"You know why?" Her fingers fumbled for his dropped blade, closing around the pommel. She brought the point to his chin. "Because this is the part where they take your head.
    The instant you're back, you need to MOVE as soon as possible. Capiche?"

(m) "An' th' winner o' this bout, de Alpha Dog, over de New Age pup!!" Damn, now he knew what that saying was ... It only hurts when I laugh. Raising slowly up to one knee only to find his blade at his own neck, along with the warm fuzzy words of Nova, he'd just nod, before finally getting to his feet.

She handed his weapon back to him. "Put this away. And I don't want to see you do anything that stupid again. Because it'll be the last time."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

By the time Brehnic was on his feet, Jackson had disappeared inside the villa. She took the opportunity to grab Brehnic by the sleeve and yank him into a stumble beside her and led him away from the house down the sandy two lane road. "What the hell did you think you were doing?" She asked, still incredulous at his antics. She didn't care that Brehnic was still wheezing a little and had a hand pressed to his chest. His body was
    still knitting. His sword had been dropped when she snatched him away, remaining in her driveway. She stopped, and turned to him, hands on her hips. " Well?"

The New Age Immortal had a serious look in response to Nova actions before pulling away from her. Brehnic was hunched over, gripping his thighs, as he slowly started taking deep breaths. "Would you believe me if I told you I wasn't feeling like
    myself back there? It was like I was on auto pilot. Something about your beau just caused me to lose it." Standing straight up, the shirt was torn away to better inspect the soon to be former wound, though it still smart like the dickens. Those shoulder
    length dreadlocks followed the shaking movements of his head, dark brown eyes
    finally finding their proper focus.

"Seriously, Nova. Your beau caused something inside me to go wonkers."

She was about to blast his excuses when she remembered that Methos had actually tried to kill her after taking an ancient's head, and after that, needed to be confined after taking another until the rage was controllable. "Look...I don't know who this Sinclair fellow was or what kind of reputation he had...but you get to use this excuse once and get away with it. If it happens with Jackson again, he'll kill you." She couldn't be any clearer with her warning. "So you either need to get a grip on this quickening, or stay out of Jackson's way. You may even have to leave the island." She was dismayed at how things transpired. She had so hoped the two might become allies:

He didn't bother commenting right just yet. he was more interested in how Nova was reacting about this Jackson fella, her beau. He body language told him much. "Well, if your man knows all about the Immortals, then he'll accept the fact that I'm still green, and seem to be having trouble adjusting to my first quickening. Besides, he would not think you'd just pick anyone for a student, right? Last thing you would do is bring a loose cannon to his doorstep. " Rubbing where he was shot, Brehnic would continue his theory ... "And on top of that, that fact that he didn't kill me speaks volumes, that I may just have potential, hmmm?"

She arched a brow. " I honestly don't think Jackson has any faith in my ability to judge character at all." It pained her to admit that. Then she added. "Don't go getting all smug about your perceived importance. You have so much yet to learn." She began to wander off road toward the sand dunes covered with sea oats blowing gently in the tropical breeze. The sea lay just beyond. "And...after what happened back at the villa, I
    am beginning to wonder if I'm the right teacher for you. I don't have the experience or knowledge of the ancients. I've always functioned on gut instinct and it's served me well. But that doesn't make for a well-rounded education. Which is why we have more than one teacher, I suppose..." She remarked more to herself than him.

"It's not about being smug, Nova. It's merely stating a possibility. I was a Master Thief before I became Immortal, so I always think through every possibility. Sort of like a chess player. And it is that reason that I am that piece of unmolded clay, for you to help shape, and perhaps hon into something more." There was zero hint of smugness in his voice, the tone was 100% sincere. "Careful though. You're starting to sound like my
    first teacher, Jere Wulfsohng, at least in that reflection part of you." Turning to face her, Brehnic would make certain she could see his eyes, read him clearly.

"Nova, for the record. When I first met you, it was pure lust at first sight. I never wanted any woman the way I wanted you. There was something in your eyes, a pure primal essence that was so untamed, it flowed about you like an aura. Your walk. Your accent. Your stance. The way you carry yourself. I found it rather intoxicating. And yet with each encounter it was like peeling away layers from an onion, each more different from the last, and yet still the same. You saw something inside me that you felt worth
    teaching. Here I am. Period."

She held his gaze for a moment, then looked away, out to the horizon on the water. She'd never had a poker face. What she felt, showed. And right now it was doubt. How could she have been so brash as to think she could train him? As she listened to him
    speak, it suddenly dawned on her that his voice was different. Not his voice, exactly, but his accent. It was completely gone. Another anomaly of a quickening she hadn't yet experienced? Perhaps. She hung her head and for a second, he could see her utter vulnerability at that moment. Not something she showed often, if at all. She wasn't sure how to deal with the peculiarities of Sinclair's odd quickening on Brehnic. Maybe Jackson would know. He seemed to know everything. "So you want to stay?"

"I want to learn, Nova. I need to know what is to be an Immortal, a blessing as well a curse. This quickening. It's changed me, and I think Jackson shooting me pushed it along. For better? For worse? Who knows? But I do feel more ... Rounded. If you still wish to have me as a student, I would be ... Honored to have you as a teacher. "

Just as suddenly as her vulnerability appeared, she clamped down tight on it and locked it away, straightening her posture, bringing her chin up. "Then I guess we continue. I'm new at this. You can help me out by asking questions as we go along. I'll do my best to answer them, if I can." She was still edging toward the foamy surf, the hem of her sundress playing above her knees. "I had a million questions when I was new..." She
    admitted.

"Agreed. Then I suppose that our training is over for the day?" Slinging his torn shirt over his shoulder, Brehnic turned back in the direction of where his sword still waited for him, back on the driveway. He learned much in such a short time this day. Much to think about. Much to ponder. "Shall we try again another time? Perhaps after the clouds have cleared over yonder villa?"

That made her laugh. "The clouds over yonder villa will never clear, Brehnic. I suggest you buy an umbrella if you intend to stay. Why don't you run along..." She dismissed him, turning back to the waves, looking out over them wistfully, an expression that was
    peculiar to older immortals. It meant they were in another time, another place.

He was slowly getting used to her way of bossing him about, though he didn't care for it much. Leaving the woman to her thoughts, Brehnic began his trek back to his own rented beach flat, with enough things on his own mind to keep him busy. Upon entering the flat, the shirt was to be discarded at first, but he decided to keep it, as an reminder. Placing his bag along side the couch, Brehnic noticed a faint sound coming from the kitchen counter, where he had left his cell phone.

He had one new voice mail message ...

It was from Steele.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Reading.

Brehnic had been doing that a lot lately, especially since meeting one Mr. Jackson Keyes. There was no trace of the gunshot wounds that had been placed upon his person, because of one SLIGHT foolhardy moment. He could still feel the echo trauma from it, though he wasn't sure exactly what Nova's angle was in having those two meet, but the end results gave him time to do a lot of deep thinking, and some reading as well. Dressed from head to toe in black, with a loose fitting silk shirt, baggy zoot suit style pin stripe baggy trousers, and soft sole dress shoes, the self titled New Age Immortal was pretty much ready to pack it up and return to Vegas.

Since their initial encounter, that woman was turning his life every which way but loose, and he still had Tohmaz to deal with once he was back in the states. At least he felt better now, than when he did when he suffered his first quickening ... Blessing? Curse? Both? His thoughts were no longer as murky, the focus was more sharp, more clear. Placing the book on the kitchen counter, Brehnic made his way towards the back of his rented abode, standing within the door frame, staring out towards the water ...

(m) "Bud, you've reached a crossroad..." Muttering to himself.

She'd actually hitched a ride in a farmer's pickup, an old model Ford, beaten and battered with the years. The driver, an older Frenchman, native to the island, had been only too happy to accommodate the pretty young woman. Giving him a broad smile, the shapely Italian pulled herself up into the cab and conversed with the sun-wrinkled gentleman in her rusty French for the five minutes it took to ride into town. Once there, he looked so sad to see her go, she gave the fatherly-looking gent a peck on the cheek and slid out, planting sandaled feet on the pavement of the town's short main street. As he drove off whistling, she scanned the row of rental lodgings to the south and recognized the name Brehnic had given her.

Even though she was highly visible in a scarlet sundress, she still had to step out of the way of a bicyclist intent on getting to his destination, ringing his bell furiously. She rolled her eyes and proceeded across the street to the designated address, passing several open flower markets, their heady scents washing over her. A portly aproned owner smiled and handed her a red carnation as she strolled by. She thanked him with a dazzling smile and a flounce of hem that he'd reminisce over for nights to come. Finally, she reached the lodging house and opened the streetside common door that led to an interior hall four apartments shared.

By the time she knocked on Brehnic's, she felt his presence. She hadn't brought her sword, but that didn't mean she was unarmed. Under the short hem of her thin, cotton dress were three wickedly sharp throwing daggers, one once used to cut out a sword-wielding man's throat. So yes, she felt reasonably safe. She waited, holding the carnation, with her back against the wall ...

Even before there was a knock, he sensed she was there ... Possibly. Knowing Nova, it could have been three or even four Immortals outside that door. No matter, his sword was ready, the door was unlocked, and he would not be standing there. Instead, he remain behind the counter, partially hidden from the waist down, his sword resting out of sight, laying propped next to him. Pausing long enough to sip orange juice from his glass... Those deep bass tones would almost echo in the silent room. "It's open." Simply said, before turning another page of the book he had been reading, ready for anything, while ready for nothing. Being around her taught him that much.

Hearing the invitation inside, she opened the door slowly. Odd to see him sitting all the way across the room that way. Involuntarily, she made note of the furniture placement, and any and all escape routes. After closing the door behind her, she strolled toward him in a nice leisurely
    pace. "Nice place. It's got a good view." She acknowledged the view out the open rear door. She turned to eye him curiously. "Are you all right?"

"What does not kill me, makes me stronger as well smarter in the end. Orange juice? I lucked out and found a market that actually sold some. Don't worry it's not tainted or anything." At least his unique dry sense of humor had returned somewhat.
    "No more strange vibes, if that's what you mean. I guess being killed by Keyes, must have rebooted me. "

"Really. That's good to hear." Almost absently. Then she moved toward the smallish kitchen.
    "Don't get up, I'll find it myself." And checked out the drawers and cabinets at leisure before opening the fridge and pouring herself a glass of o.j. She trusted him...even though Jackson didn't. But then, there were few he DID trust. Wandering back out into the main room, she gestured to his book. " What are you reading?"

"Mind over matter, the art of Zen. Have not been able to put it down.... Good reading." He'd give her the usual once over, that small trademark grin of his evident. Granted she was spoken for, but still a sight for sore eyes just the same. "Shall I assume I wore out my brief welcome with Mr. Keyes, and this is the part where you tell me how lucky I am to have kept my head?" Stopping long enough to sip his juice.

"No, not since you already seem to be aware of those facts." Her answer succinct as she found a place to sit on a bamboo couch that had seen too many renters. Leaning back, she held her glass loosely on her lap and crossed one long leg over the other lazily. Her sandal swung back and forth, dangled from a toe. "Zen, hm? When you're finished, may I suggest The Art of War? Unless you've already read it."

"I'll be sure to find myself a copy once I return to the states" Brehnic would have a thoughtful glance, as if he were picking his next words carefully. "If the bugger is looking for an apology? Not going to happen, luv. Can't change what happened back there. He decided to let me live and I reckon he wants me to ponder that lesson. What do you get out of all of this? Outside of having a student to teach the old ways to??" Only then did he set the book down, his focus now fully upon her, his eyes never moving past her nose.

"Keyes is...Keyes, Brehnic. If you were to apologize, I think he'd take it as a sign of weakness. But so is running away. And frankly, I'm still trying to figure out his benevolence myself. What do I get out of this?" She arched a brow, staring back at him. "Believe it or not, there's still a part of me that wants to help people. I haven't lost that urge completely. I was like you once Brehnic, you and I come from very different places. I'm still trying to figure you out. Maybe if I tell you a little about me, we may be able to find some common ground. First, and it rankles me to admit this, but I'm not as old as you might think. I'm only 109." Then she refigured, "Well...84 years immortal. I hope that doesn't matter to you."

"Not at all. Age to an Immortal is just a number, right?" Bringing his hands together, his fingers interlocked beneath his chin, his stare never wavering. "So in seeing bits of me in yourself, are you looking to steer me on the roads you didn't take?"

"Not at all. Actually, I don't regret the path I took. My point is, I don't believe you WANT to take the path I did. You're not me. We need to find a method to teach you what you need to know in a way you're comfortable with. Most new immortals wander around for a while, trying to figure out what happened to them. Many become the victims of unscrupulous headhunters. Believe it or not, we DO have a code. The lucky ones find a teacher...someone to look out for them until they can defend themselves. That's all I'm trying to do."

"So are we asking for total trust here? As per teacher and student? Because each time we meet, it's like you're a different person. " No, he wasn't trying to push any buttons, or be cute. Brehnic was as serious as he's ever been, and that's scary. "You want to know what's going through my mind right now? She has no sword, but I know she's armed. I also know she's good with projectile type weapons, and she's already checked out the place, more so from habit. She wants to see if I'm still distracted by her ... Subtle charms, and see if I'm ready to turn tail after being shot ... Twice. No, I was never gun shy before I was an immortal, and I'm not going to start. I leave anything out?"

"I know I seem that way...but...it's just that..." She actually seemed uncomfortable...
    "You're right on all counts. But what's worked for me as an immortal is to be a chameleon. To be otherwise would leave me utterly vulnerable. Like right now. This is me. The real me. The me I only show to a select few that I trust with my life. I'm not going to pat you on the head or put a big A on your immortal report card during our time together. Your survival is what's important. Would you want a teacher exhibiting self-doubt? No. You want someone who exudes confidence...someone you can believe in."

"My turn. For the record, I don't give a rats ass about Duncan or any other MacLeod. I don't care much about Keyes either. I respect the fact that they have lived this long, which says something."

"Well, well, well, you have teeth." She commented.

"I'm a thief. Been one most of my life before fate decided to make me born again. Don't
    let my Immortal youth fool you. I may not be as old as most of you, but I am a product of my time, which gives me an edge. I can still call upon human traits, those little things that most of you have forgotten. That's my weapon." Nodding to her. "Refill?"

"I believe that." She pressed her free hand against her chest. "If I didn't, we'd have no basis for a relationship. And no, Thank you." And continued. "You say you're a product of your time. Well, so am I. I was born in San Francisco in 1898....I think. All I really know is that I was found in San Francisco...right after the quake. A really nice man found me and he and his wife adopted me. My mother wore corsets and had afternoon tea parties, my father ... " She had to resist the urge to say *Papa* .. "Took me on
    Trans-Atlantic cruises to Paris. We had more money than God, and I eventually inherited it. I was raised with rules and protocol and manners. It's ingrained. I learned how to work a room a long time ago. I simply adapted that gift for immortal use. Just as you'll adapt your gifts and talents. It's what makes each of us unique."

She intentionally left out the part about her parents dying when she was 12, or murdering her father's business partner when she was 16. It wasn't relevant at the
    moment.

"Mmmm." Raising his glass up to her, in a form of a toast. "Am I going to test your patience? Probably, it's in my nature. But I look forward to taking key things from your teachings, learning from them and eventually shaping them to fit my own style."

Her brows raised slightly, hearing him. Maybe she'd made the connection she so desperately wanted to. She never wanted to remake him in her own image, and had to let him know that. Maybe he finally understood.

Nodding once again, before refilling his glass. "I had Steele look into Jonas, to see
    what he can find out. He's good at things like that."

"What else is Steele good at, besides showing up uninvited?"

"You don't trust him much do you? First
    impressions and all. That and you were checking out his wrist back at your place."

"I was just making sure. I didn't think a Watcher would be that ballsey... But maybe things had changed. I used to have connections to the Watchers, but that's...over now." There was a melancholy tinge in her tone.

"Mmmm .... " Jere never mentioned these Watchers to him. Did he even know about them? Maybe. Maybe not. It was weird when one thought about it. "So you think he might have ties to them? I mean he didn't have what you were looking for, but if times have changed, maybe the Watchers have changed too? Not saying Steele's a Watcher or anything. Bugger's too much a rebel to follow rules."

She shrugged. " Even if he was, I've been told Watchers have never been a threat to us. Mostly, they're just annoying, especially when you get an incompetent one. But if you've known him since before becoming immortal, it's doubtful he's associated with them."

Meanwhile back in the states, Tohmaz Steele was watching the transmitted video/audio footage of what had happened to him during his ... stupor. Fuck me. That woman drugged me, and Brehnic knew about it!!"

"Mmmmm. This tea is most excellent. Where did you find it??"

"Now there's the irony. I picked it up at one of the markets on that Island, before I left. Thanks to you, I'm an herbal freak."

"Indeed. But know this. Nova is one not to be underestimated, my friend. You are very lucky she did not kill you. Brehnic must have made quite the impression on her."

Jere Wulfsohng would offer his long time friend a most sincere smile, while his stoic gaze lingered on the screen that featured the Immortal known as Nova Giannini.(m)"Perhaps it is time she and I finally met."

Tohmaz glanced up ... "You say something Jere?"

"Just thinking out loud, my friend."