Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not since visiting his home of Scandinavia, had he enjoyed such surrounding conditions. The warm winds, the sounds of the waves, and the overall karma like vibe of it all. Yes, he could see why she picked such a place. One could center themselves here, and get away from the continual chaos that was called society, even for an old school Immortal like herself. And boy did it show. The woman was a walking aura of pure sexuality, with a black widow like intent resting just beneath the surface. A deadly combination of beauty and grace, a living weapon that is constantly honed. This wasn't some facade obviously, she has had decades to be shaped into what she is today, using those experiences whether they be good or bad to enhance such perceptions.

This would woman, Nova Giannini, would become his new mentor, for she saw something inside him that warranted saving ... Teaching. A small feat in itself considering all the other Immortals she has had contact with during her life. The long shower taken was doing its job, clearing out the cob webs from a hard sleep, and cleansing his skin of the sweat obtained from a lengthy run along the beach. One thing it couldn't do was wash the images of the sultry Immortal from his mind, recalling the *moment of truth* for him that would determine if she would mentor him ...

(m) "Molto asservente..." She quipped, rather impressed, dark eyes narrowing just the slightest. Her body was on alert, and would remain so until further notice. She stood slowly and took a step toward him, hands in full view, and leaned down, pressing her palms atop both his wrists, in effect pinning him there. Leaning in, her face was all softness and innocence, though nothing was further from the truth ..."Are you willing to do whatever I tell you in order to learn?" She had her reasons for the close proximity...always gauging ... She smelled salty and primal, a mixture of ocean and pheromones, and within floated a confusing, but heady perfume she had custom made for her in Paris. It was her signature. Would it tempt him into doing something foolish? She wetted her lips lazily, a slow smile forming. She'd tempted him with the fires of lust and he hadn't cracked.

Stepping out of the shower, a small but lazy grinned appeared on his face, as the flashback ended, reaching for a towel, he dried himself off while walking into the kitchen area to pour himself a glass of orange juice. Were the signs all pointing that way??? For on his satellite radio, this particular song was playing ... A ZZ Top classic ...

She's got legs, she knows how to use them.
    She never begs, she knows how to choose them.
    She's holdin' leg wonderin' how to feel them.
    Would you get behind them if you could only find them?
    She's my baby, she's my baby,
    Yeah, it's alright.

She's got hair down to her fanny.
    She's kinda jet set, try undo her panties.
    Everytime she's dancin' she knows what to do.
    Everybody wants to see if she can use it.
    She's so fine, she's all mine,
    Girl, you got it right.

She's got legs, she knows how to use them.
    She never begs, she knows how to choose them.
    She's got a dime all of the time,
    Stays out at night movin' through time.
    Oh, I want her, said, I got to have her,
    The girl is alright, she's alright.

Yeah, that song was going to be playing in his head every time he saw her now. Several days had passed before Brehnic had finally settled in to a point that he could touch base with Nova again, not only to notify her of his place of residence, but setting up an appointment to began his training. He assumed she had other things (like the bloke that bought her that huge rock on her finger) to take up her time, so there were other plans put in place to keep himself conditioned. Late night/early morning runs on the beach, combined with some meditating techniques he had learned from his first/former mentor Jere Wulfsohng. At least his mind was more clear than it was upon his arrival, and the "voices" inside his head were not as intense, as he seemed to be adjusting finally. Though they still were random. It would be about 9 am Tuesday morning when he made the call to his would be trainer/mentor.

By the time her cell rang that morning, the Italian had already been up for four hours, done her katas for the day, made herself breakfast and taken a swim. Back in the lavish villa and ready to step into the shower, she paused and grabbed the phone ..."Si?"

" ' Ello, Nova. Brehnic. I'm all set up, an' ready fer ye to be teachin' me whenever ye get th' time." Yup, none of that random banter he was known so well for, it was all business now. Stepping back inside his flat, Brehnic plopped down on the couch, while reaching for the remote, to turn on the television and check the Stock reports, while continuing to chat with Nova.

"Oh, really..." She chuckled, phone to her ear as she reached into the spacious tiled shower to turn on the water. She'd given him time to acclimate and now it seemed he was ready. "You know where I live. Come to my villa. Bring your sword." Short and sweet. "I'll expect you soon."

One word? Bemused. At the Villa? The same Villa where .. "he", also resided from time to time? But this was Nova, so it was dismissed ...He'd be there within the hour. Throwing on a pair of baggy loose fitting beige cargo shorts, along with a black tank top, he was slipping on his sandals, when there came a knock at the door. A slightly puzzled expression lingered on his face, as he instinctively glanced at his sword, but not sensing *anything* out of the ordinary, the door was opened ...

"Hey bugger. One Hell of a road trip, you went on." Standing in the doorway was a male was giving him a trademark smirk of his own, dark eyes meeting his over the tops of mirrored shades, dressed in all black, but in light enough material to not have the heat play a factor later on in the day. "Gonna invite me in Brehn, or we just do the chat fest right here ... what? You got a frail in there?? Peeking over Brehnic's shoulder, with that grin becoming that much wider.

"Steele?? WTF?? Wha' are ye doin' here, man?" Brehnic would hug the man that was more like a brother to him, inviting him inside. "No woman, sorry to be disappointin' ye. I was about to ... Go fer a little excercisin'. Is there somethin' wrong? This isn't about me breakin' up the Gallery is it?" Glancing up at the clock, he could not afford to be late, but he couldn't blow of Steele without arousing some suspicions.

"Nah, I understand that whole episode. I like the Outlaw concept we talked about. I'm just checking up on you to make sure you're okay, bugger. You bolted out of Vegas so fast, and that's not like you. This has anything to do with a certain headless body that was found?" Walking into the kitchen, Steele opened the fridge, helping himself to some orange juice.

"Can ye trust me on this one to be explainin' it all when I get back to th' states? This be somethin' I need to be doin' right now, to be gettin' me head straight again." Brehnic was giving him *that* look, which spoke volumes. Steele would finish his first glass, before pouring himself a second ... "This got anything to do with Nova Giannini?" Brehnic's silence told him all he needed to know. "Bugger, your personal life is your own, but be careful with this one. I don't want to be seeing you on a missing persons report, okay?" Steele wouldn't mention the hacked report on the woman that was pulled up when they were viewing the footage that Brehnic had supplied them with after his first encounter with Nova. He'd tell/show Brehnic his findings once they were back in the states. Roughly 20 minutes later, Brehnic would be outside Nova's villa, standing on the driveway, when he turned upon hearing a car pull up behind him.

"Steele?? I thought you were goin' to stay back at the flat??" Brehnic wasn't too happy with him following him here, knowing Nova would not be happy with an unexpected guest. "Look, Brehn, I was going to wait until you were back in the states, but you gotta read this ..." Steele went to reach under the driver's seat to pull out that report, and Brehnic wouldn't get a chance to see what Steele had, a he felt that Immortal vibe, alerting him of the presence of a certain woman that emerged from the villa ... This wasn't going to be good ....

A lover of luxuriously long showers, she shampooed her thick, dark hair, leaving a white trail down tanned, wet skin. Stepping into the spray, she rinsed off the soap and sea salt, finally emerging out of the steam like Venus from her shell. After toweling dry, a comfortable white spaghetti strap top was chosen, and black sarong tied at her hips. Underneath, she fastened a thin leather thigh belt to her upper leg into which she slid three sharp throwing daggers.

A shake of her long, damp hair caused it to fall into natural waves. A glance up...she felt a presence. Sauntering to the front door, she glanced out to the driveway and frowned. He'd said nothing about bringing company. It made her very uneasy. The screen door slammed shut behind her with a thud and she padded slowly toward the pair in bare feet, every nerve on edge... but surprisingly, she looked completely at ease. "You brought a friend... " She stated the obvious as she neared them. "And who might this be?"

Turning to the man by the car, Brehnic, took a breath before motioning him over. Steele found himself looking up at a female who could only be best described by one word. Whoa. Smiling while walking over to where the pair of them were standing, Steele couldn't help but to stare, until Brehnic made with the introductions, giving the woman a nod of the head. "Well met Ms. Giannini."

Nova looked the other man over scrupulously, sizing him up. If either of them made the slightest suspicious move, they'd be dead in about three seconds. Since being on her own, there'd been no one to watch her back...so she'd learned to compensate by being exceedingly cautious. Once this man convinced her he wasn't a threat, she'd relax. But not until. She listened to him talk, giving Brehnic the briefest of glances. If Mr. Keyes ever found out she'd come out to meet them without any heavy artillery, she'd never hear the end of it. Her right hand never far from the blades hidden under her black sarong, she studied him with eyes slightly narrowed, her tone frosty in the West Indian heat ... "Who the Hell are you??"

Letting out another deep breath, Brehnic would look back at Nova.... "This is Tohmaz Steele, of the PSD. Paranormal Special Division." Okay, if looks could kill, Steele's worries would be over. She did not care for unexpected visitors, the look she gave Brehn told said that. "I'm a friend of Brehn's and was making sure he was alright. But I see he's in ... capable hands." Brehnic would turn to face Steele ... (m) "Ye were suppose to stay back at flat mate. He's no threat, Nova." Hoping his word alone would vouch for him, knowing he was going to hear about this later from both ends. So when all else fails? Just smile and nod. So he did.

Nova had learned long ago that to say too much could be suicide, so she bit back the original question that had risen to her lips. 'Keep the unknown close,' she reminded herself silently, 'and watch it like a hawk.' "Old friends?" She asked Mr. Steele, shifting gears into inquisition mode.

Taking off his mirrored shades, where Nova could see his eyes, another quick glance over at Brehnic, nodding his head. "Yeah, I knew him before he decided to get all born again." Brehnic just rolled his eyes. Nova was feeling Steele out, she wasn't ready to go by Brehnic's word, and to be honest? That miffed him just a tad. But once again, that seemed to be the way of the old school Immortals, so he'd just stand there quietly, and let this thing play itself out. He knew Steele wouldn't do anything to make matters worse.

"I see? And you hope to gain what from this visit?" Damn, she could nail down a point, and with such a pretty smile. She WAS searching for Mr. Steele's "buttons," to find out what they were and how easily they could be pushed.

"Like Brehn told you, I work for the PSD. Ghost Busters, and things that go bump in the night. Brehn helps me out from time to time. Really, I'm only here to make sure he's alright. Lot of craziness going on back in the States, and we all need to be accounted for." Offering the woman his best smile, glancing over at Brehnic once again. "You still with us, bugger?"

It was just her way, after 80 plus years of immortality and a half century as a journalist. Suddenly, her whole demeanor changed. "Where are my manners? Why don't you gentlemen come inside?"

"Oh yea', I'm jus' waitin' on Nova to be makin' her mind up about ye ... An' it seems like she has now." Tension? Very much so. But Brehnic would keep any wisecracks to himself. She stepped aside and gave a gracious wave of her arm to usher them toward the front door. "I see you rented a car..." She said to Brehnic as the trio approached the house. Steele would nod, accepting Nova's invite, while giving Brehn a less than subtle elbow to the ribs as we went inside.

Letting out a low whistle, he was impressed as Hell. This woman was 100% class, and she knew it. "Nah, that car's mine. Nice place, Ms. Giannini. Has that home away from home feel to it." Steele didn't want to just walk around the place after being invited inside, but keeping his hands clasped behind his back as he spoke. Key point? No mentioning about the whole Immortal thing. Brehnic as okay with it. But he was still green on certain levels. Nova Giannini? Three words. Handle-With-Caution. This was her turf, and Steele was going to make sure that she knew he knew that.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The villa's grand living room was tiled in Italian terra-cotta, the interior blissfully cool, shadowing everything from the bright sun. An ocean breeze filtered through the open french doors, and there was a canopied patio beyond. She never let her peripheral vision stray from either man as she directed them to the table and chairs that graced the shady, wood-floored porch. "Have a seat, gentlemen. I'll be right back." And she disappeared inside, hips swaying sexily under that black sarong as she walked away.

A less than subtle motion that did not go unnoticed by one Tohmaz Steele. His smile remained until she left the room, then it faded. "Alright, I should have stayed back at your flat, I don't think she cares for me very much."

"Bugger, she does nae kno' ye, an' ye jus' appear here? First impressions, mate. Dis is nae about spooks and daemons, Steele. An' I'm sure to be hearin' about it once yer back in the states." He had a valid point. He came down to make sure Brehnic was okay, which he appears to be.

Now there was concern about the woman that sees him as some sort of potential problem, which is ironic, because that's how he was viewing her.
    "Pump your brakes, and slow down, Brehn. I'm on the first flight back before nightfall, and we can talk more when you get back." Brehnic would rub his temples, before sliding back onto the couch .... "Just don' get me into anymore trouble, alright?"

In the kitchen, Nova placed three glasses on a serving tray and filled them with ice and fresh lemonade. She put a pinch of something unidentifiable into one of the glasses and gave it a swirl with a spoon. In no time, she reappeared on the patio with tray in hand,
    settling each glass in front of its intended drinker. Mr. Steele won the beverage doctored with sodium amytal, a handy barbiturate prescribed for Nova in a darker time. She'd simply kept them for such an occasion. Easing into a chair between them, she lifted her glass.
    "Verita rivelata." Besides making a person dopey for six hours, sodium amytal is a rather handy truth serum. If nothing else, it would give Nova time to talk to Brehnic.

Steele raised his glass up to them, before
    sighing, putting the glass back down. "Look, it's apparent that my timing sucked, and I came to see what I needed to. Brehn, I'm headed back to your flat, and will be booking my flight back to the states. Ms. Giannini, please accept my apology for this whole fuck up, and don't be too upset with Brehn." Steele then proceeded to stand up, downing the lemonade before turning to leave. There would have been a personal record for how many mental face palms Brehnic would have given himself during the past several minutes. He knew what Steele was up to. He had an idea what was going through Nova's head.

Gods below...she watched Mr. Steele drain his glass and the smile was frozen on her lips. It would take maybe...five minutes for the drug to take effect...perhaps less. No way he could operate a car. He had to be stopped. "Brehnic...
    do be a dear and convince your friend to stay awhile."

A double take. Did Nova request Steele to stay? Why would she ... Then Brehnic gave Nova a look, as Steele waved them both off.

Nova couldn't decide whether to be smug or worried. She'd figure that out in the next few minutes. (m) "He's not going to get far..." She'd warned Brehnic quietly.

Another mental face palm by Brehnic, walking over to Steele, his mind thinking quick of something to keep him here. (m) "Steele, ye leave now, yer goin' to be makin' matters worse, so just stay. She would nae have let ye inside if she didn't trust you, okay?"

Once Mr. Steele succumbed to the drug, she could check him for weapons...and he'd eventually tell her the whole truth. Rising, she pivoted to face Mr. Steele. "Brehnic should have warned you...my lemonade has quite a kick." Was there a shade of humor in her voice? Perhaps. Brehnic would soon come to learn her opinion of mortals as a whole, and how she came by it. In the meantime, she simply watched her guest for telltale signs. She'd taken the drug herself and knew the effects firsthand.

One word? Stunned. Yeah, that was it. Nova just drugged his best friend??? WTF??? He wasn't too sure what was going on, but he hoped she wasn't testing his loyalty right now. Granted she was to be his new mentor, but Steele? He had history with this guy, and treated him like a brother ...
    Needless to say, once Steele was under the complete effect, Brehnic's expression said it all. He wasn't amused. And Steele? Damn, if that woman wasn't looking good. It was like *parts* of her were moving in slow motion .....

He'd get a much closer look...and feel...when she leaned toward him, urging him gently up from the chair ... " We'll be more comfortable on the couch. :::and led him slowly to the white leather sofa.

"The couch, is cool. Comfy too."

"Of course it is..." She cooed, stroking his hair before leaving him there in a sprawl::: "You just get comfortable." She instructed, as she walked back toward Brehnic. Glancing at him, she tsked.
    "Stop looking like a deer caught in headlights."

Brehnic turned his back on the whole thing, glancing out the window. Yet, his mind was processing what was going on. Another side to Nova, a crafty one at that. "You care telling me what this is all about? I told you, he was clean!!"

A quick look over he shoulder at the near comatose man, then back to Brehnic. "Here's where the lessons begin. First, you will never bring a stranger to my home again. The only reason Mr. Steele is not dead is because you seem to care for him. Second...he's mortal. Our kind has no use for mortals. They break...grow, old...die...
    and have a really bad habit of not being able to keep their mouths shut. He's your friend...now. In eighty years, he'll be dead...along with everyone else you knew. And you'll be alone. You won't know what I'm talking about until it happens, but I guarantee you , it's traumatic. Better to be done with them NOW."

To an extent ... She had a point. Several actually. He never looked at it like that. He was Immortal. Steele was not. How painfully simple Nova made it sound. The look in Brehnic's eyes told her all she needed to know. "Fine. point taken." Steele was zoning in and out at that point, looking like a drunk at a tennis match trying to keep up with the conversations.

Without further ado, Nova strode over to the drugged man and turned his wrist so she could check the underside. A brow raised. Nothing. No tattoo. " He's not a Watcher." She informed Brehnic. Then wondered if Brehnic even KNEW about Watchers. And Mr. Steele might catch every third word of their conversation, but wouldn't remember even that much later on. "Are you a chess player, Brehnic?" She asked him out of the
    blue ...

WTF?? Did she drug herself as well? Watcher??? Chess Player??? "Yer losin' me quick, Nova. wha' are you playin' at?" His hand already gripping the hilt of his sword tightly, because Nova was appearing to be/act like the enemy. There was no smile, no hints of a smirk, this was a seldom rare serious side of one Brehnic Kohnar ... With the hint of something else...

"Yes...Watchers. All immortals are watched...and reported on. I have one...so do you. We rarely see them...if ever. They're good at being invisible." Her gaze fell to his hand on his sword. "Oh, stop. If I wanted you dead, you'd BE dead. Look at your friend. I make things happen, Brehinc, and I'm going to try and teach you how to do the same. To keep your head. Capiche? And you HAVE to start thinking like a chess player. Plan. Prepare. Know your strengths. Be ready for anything as best you can. Practice improvising. You'll need that when all else fails. You must remember...either you control your destiny or someone else does."

"Chess. Destiny. Improvising. Watchers. Invisible. Prepare. Immortals watched."

She knew she was moving too fast for him, but at least she had his full attention. "Question time. Who do you trust?"

"I trust myself."

"Bravo. Right answer." She was impressed. 'What other weapons do you carry besides your sword?"

"Ones that can't be easily seen." This should be bothering him, his best friend under the influence of some drug, while his new mentor was taking him down the path of the dark side ....
    "Acupuncture needles. Plain, and several more coated with various toxins. A little something I picked up from ... Jonas."

"Show them to me." She scoffed, barely giving him time to take a breath.

With a flick of the wrist, combined with a sleight of hand, several were produced between his fingers.

As he drew them out, she slid one of the three short throwing daggers from her thigh sheath and pulled back her arm, as if in preparation to throw. And she was an expert with them. At this close range it was hardly an effort. "How are they going to help you...when I can lay you out flat from across the room?"

"What!!!?? Your man didn't let you get on top last night or something? What is your major malfunction today, Giannini??" That certainly didn't sound like Brehnic right then. "Perhaps. Perhaps not. Maybe you're not as good as I think you are."

His insult rankled her and she almost exploded with anger...but held herself in check, barely, forcing herself to be calm and her voice steady. "I'm better than you could ever imagine." No brag, just fact. In that moment she deflated, shaking off the escalating tension. "We have a long way to go, Brehnic. It's quite normal for teachers and students to get on each others nerves. We learn from each other. I'm sorry I drugged Mr. Steele. I reacted out of instinct. He'll be fine in a few hours, just a little groggy. In the meantime, I suggest we blow off some steam on the beach. Can you swim?" A logical question to a man from the desert.

"Blow off some steam? Ye were the one actin' like ye wanted to take me head off there a second ago. An' I swim like a fish. Let's hope you can keep up." And there was the return of that trademark cocky grin of his.

"Wanted your head? Don't flatter yourself." She actually pushed him aside with the back of her left hand as she passed him on her way out to the patio, her dagger still clutched in her right hand.

Mental note made. Nova Giannini has a button or two that can be pushed inside her as well. And there had to be more to it than she was saying as far as she picking him as a protege' just out of the blue. One thing for certain, Brehnic played his cards right, he had all the time in the world to find out just what makes Nova tick. A passing glance at Steele who was in a world of his own before heading out ...

There were lessons to be learned ....