Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cassie shrugged. "Good luck with asking other folks. They tend to be all kliq like. Everett? He'll be out of town. Checking some property in some place called Sunnydale." Sighing as her phone began ringing again ... "I'll catch you later then??"

"Kay.? And sounds like something from a bad TV show."? Niks shrugged and slipped away, leaving Cassie to work.? When those two got a day off they must really cut loose.? That or they sat at home and veged like nobody's business.? Her steps led her to the big man's office - well, not the biggest man on campus if OBD...ODB?? Rosencrantz or Guildentstern.? The gopher laughed softly at her mental joke, but the laugh faded as she knocked on the door.

"Brehnic?? B-3?? 3-B?"

There was faint sounds of arguing at first, but it subsided just as Niklas neared the door. It would be answered several moments later ... "Hey Niklas, wha' be bringin' ye here? Everythin' okay?" Funny thing though, Brehnic didn't seem surprised that she was there. "C'mon in." Inside his office was another male. "Jere , dis be Niklas Wright. She be joinin' the firm recently. Niklas? Dis be Jere, an old friend o' mine."

Jere would smile, nodding his head slowly. "A pleasure to meet you, Niklas." His voice
    was level. Calm. Almost soothing. He was dressed in earth tone like colors, with a matching like trench coat.

"Didn't mean to interrupt.? Y'all seem to be a bit...busy.? Just thought I'd come and check on you - Cassie said she hadn't seen you since Sunday."? Niks looked from one man to the other, brow raised in slight question.? She wasn't afraid, but really she was getting to meet some interesting characters through Brehnic.

"Charmed, right?"? Niks gave Jere a smile before looking at Brehnic, head tilted slightly in question.? Something was up; then again, Niks had to wonder when was something not up with this one?

"I have taken enough of your time for today, Brehnic. I shall be at the church if you need to find me." Looking over at Niklas once again, she was offered a most sincere smile, before taking his leave. "It was an honor meeting you. Please keep this one out of trouble." Pointing over towards Brehnic who rolled his eyes.? Jere just had that unspoken grace about him, a serene calmness. He would bow slightly to the young woman, before excusing himself, leaving the pair alone.

Niks felt she should curtsey or something.? It wasn't so much awkward, but the man had that feeling.? She even laughed softly at the keeping Brehnic out of trouble, as if that were possible "Of course.? Nice to meet you."? She gave him a slight wave before turning to look at Brehn with the usual questioning glance. "Is he the one you met at church?? And are you really that religious a man?"

Niks walked slowly towards her "boss," hands in hoody pockets.

"Cassie said you've been sticking round the office more than usual lately?? Or was it you've been going out on hunts more?? Donno, she got a call before I could really get clarification.? Which is it?? Or is that not for a mere peon to ask?"

Bemused. That was the expression that was on his face, as he just ... Studied the young woman standing before him. "Lot o' questions, dere, Niklas. Ye wantin' t'be me bodyguard?" Spoken with that trademark grin. "Jere is an old friend that wishes I spent more time at Church ..." As for the other questions, he'd dismiss them.

"I've always got questions, part of why you hired me, I suspect."? She came to a stop just within a few feet of him.? "It can't be for my looks, seein' as you've got Cassie and Ev and a couple models workin' for ya.? And I guess church can be good."

Niks shrugged, looking around his office and being polite by not touching anything that wasn't hers.? She was the type of person who'd touch everything if they could.? It just wasn't the same without touching and getting to know something that way.

"So, everything's well enough?"

(m) "Nuthin' wrong wit' yer looks." Sitting down once again, after placing his cane next to his desk. "Let me ask ye somethin' den, Niklas. Ye ever felt like ye be meant fer somethin' more? Another chapter to yer life? Would ye do anythin' different if ye had a .... second chance?"
    No smiles then, as he motioned to a chair close by, looking very interested in what she had to say.

"No.? That's the point, isn't it?? We don't get them.? I mean, we do.? ODB..OBD?? Which is it?? I really gotta call him somethin' else - even if I get it right, I'll get it wrong.? He gets a second chance.? But, it's not really second chance, is it?? It's just an alteration in the current path.? Second chance means he's starting all over and he's not.? He's just doing something else."? Niks shook her head as she had a feeling this was going to be a deep thinking moment, and sometimes she liked pacing.? Brehn hadn't really asked any difficult questions when she could move...cabs, dinner, dancing - well, okay, they did dance, but they weren't really talking.

"Another chapter in life.? Hmm.? I don't think I was meant to be something more, not meant to be something less either.? I've felt like I've always been a little off, not quite set in time right, not quite understanding like a normal person.? Though that could be chalked up to not bein' all there in the head."? She smiled tapping her head.? She let the looks comment slide - she wasn't really fishing for a compliment, not that he really gave one.

"Tis all about second chances, Niklas. Ye jus' never kno' when yer number gets called .... And it's ODB, like de rapper ... Ole Dirty Bastard." Hell if Jere had him thinking this way. He had his reasons for inviting Niklas to join his firm, and after what happened to him in Morocco? At least this way he could keep an eye out.

"I guess.? Donno.? I like to think I'm going in a straight line, not back and forth, ya know?? And, yeah, donno if I'm gonna remember that.? I'm not a big rap fan.? I'll try to keep it straight.? I thought it was Dirty Old Bastard?? Then again, that could be something I heard somewhere."? Niks had settled into a pacing, her hands still in her hoody.

"And you should live like your number could and couldn't be called at any moment, funny how that works, right?? Gotta live both ways."

"You want t'be askin' me somethin' Niklas? Feel free."

"What's goin' on?? Do you ask everyone these kinds of questions?? What kind of second chance do you think I'm looking for?? I don't fit here.? We both know that.? I can handle almost any job the world throws at me; I know that.? It's not tooting a horn; it's the way it is.? I was built a certain way, but why?? And, what's with all the mystery?? You're not that special..which is probably not something someone should say to a boss, but what big secret could you possibly have?? And what is it about you that attracts all these people?"? Niks blinked.? "Uhm, I can blame those questions on not eating yet, which I do need to do eventually."

Niks hadn't run out of steam per say but she did feel a little awkward now that she'd asked that.

Brehnic was impressed. Again. She deserved to know the truth, but did that have to come from him? Jere had already volunteered himself and until Niklas' little outburst? He was leaning that way."My secret? I cheat death." Hell if he actually just told her the truth on that one. "Wha' attracts folks t'me? You tell me, Niklas. Wha'? brought you here? Was it jus' the fact tha' I could ease yer debt? Or was it a second chance o' tryin' somethin' different?"

He was enjoying this conversation, mainly because it allowed him a deeper insight to how she ticked.

"Mmm.? You're fun, for the most part.? You're a damned mystery, which you shouldn't be.? Usually mysteries mean nothing when you find out the truth.? They're usually a 'oh, yeah, that' kind of thing, but maybe you'll be different.? Maybe you won't.? And, yeah, you do seem attached to death in a strange way."? Niks sighed softly as she finally flopped in a chair.

"You still haven't answered my question.? Why me?? And you may not use the word 'potential'."? She'd heard that word one too many times; she was cursed with that word and "cute."

"You're normal, Niklas Wright. You remind me of how I was ... once. You have an aura about you that attracts others to you, whether you choose to believe it or not. I see it, as do others. You're special on a level you're not even aware of ... Yet." Whoa ... Did Brehnic just speak perfect ... English? "This firm needs people like that. Cassie and Everett have it. So do you. I'm willing to bet you and ODB hit it right off the bat, no?"

"Course, guy probably doesn't get to have normal conversations.? He's big, and you make him wear all that stuff on his teeth.? Well, you probably don't make him do it, but he does it for you.? I know, it's to give your clients what they expect.? I understand that.? And Cassie and Ev?? I donno.? I'm not normal like they are, that's for sure.? Business types, definitely."? Niks twisted and was soon curled up rather nicely in the chair.? It probably looked uncomfortable.

"So, which is the real you, Brehnic?"? Her brow lifted. "The accent it comes and goes.? Which fits who you really are?"? Yeah, she'd noticed before, but she wasn't going to ask a stranger about that - not that he didn't seem strange at times.

"I can ask the same about you. Which is the real you, the girl that held the job at the library? The party girl at the club in Morocco? Or this one all pretzel like sitting across from me."
    The stare given as a serious one ... "The accent is who I was, where I came from, and who I miss. This before you? It's who I am now. Two sides of the same coin, Ms. Wright. It just depends on what side is face up when you flip it.

I don' t any one that works for me do anything they don't want to. ODB decided that look,
    and we went with it. Just like what you decide what you wanted to come to work dressed like. Was there a standard placed on you? No, save for the one you placed on yourself.? Just as you knew there was nothing left for you back at that library, so you took a blind leap of faith and came here ...."

"There is something of an unspoken standard.? Don't act as if there isn't one.? Just like ODB is expected - maybe not by you, but by your clientele - to make Jaws from Bond jealous, I'm expected to dress a certain way.? I'm not here today to work.? Just came to ask Cassie out for some dancing.? Would have asked Ev, but he's a lil on the busy side of life for the next few days.? You can come too if you think you can hang with us, but that's really not the point - the point is, there is a standard.? There is a mode of life expected.? I'm waiting on my first check to make sure I get a few more things.?

More business type stuff - I might not have to schmooze the money types, but I do have to deal with them on occasion.? They really wouldn't like seeing anyone dressed like this who isn't doing the whole smarty smarmy intellectual architectural gig."? Niks' nose wrinkled. "I'm not here to fight with you, bossman.? I'm just curious." Niks sighed and stretched, standing as she did.

"You've got secrets; we all do, but when you're a top dog type, which you are, those secrets might come and bite some of our rear ends.? I know you'll do your best to keep that from happening, but I just like to know who might be biting my bottom before they do it, which you know that sounds slightly..."? She had the good grace to blush.

"Free speech to a point, Niklas, and you're River dancing on that line really close. If you bothered to check your account, it's already been adjusted. I didn't bring you here to learn about my secrets, I have rivals for that. And don't preach to me about standards."

First the faint sounds of arguing prior to her knocking on his door, next some serious tension between him and his old friend, and now? A totally serious English speaking Brehnic?

That carefree smile of his? Gone. There was a very intense look inside those dark eyes of his right then, as he regarded her carefully. "Fine. You want the complete truth? You want to know why you're really here?? Protection."

Brows went up, and the smile went soft.? Niks approached him, not getting too much into his personal space.? She took a lean to whatever was closest and could support her weight. "I could make a joke about that, but I think I'll let it rest.? I really am grateful, Brehn; I'm sure I don't sound like it, but I am.? I just get curious, and well, I don't like being soft and nice about things sometimes.? It's the whole 'I'm little and gotta be tougher than anyone else' thing.? I'm dealing.? Look, I donno whatcha think you've gotta protect me from; I'm sure the list is longer than your arm, but thanks."? She wasn't asking what it was?? Well, did he really think she wouldn't eventually??

"And, if you're going to tell me I'm some sorta space alien princess, and you're the man sent after me to protect me.? Or you're some guy from the future trying to do the whole terminator thing, not that being this visible would be that great for that.? I think we'll stick with the simple acceptance of protection for now, mm?" (d)

"In Morocco, I wasn't shot by street thugs. I was shot by someone that knew way too much about me. Where I went, and who I talked to. He could have killed me, but he
    didn't." Standing up, he walked around the desk, sans the cane, before sitting/leaning on the corner of it. "I was hoping you would live a normal life, but that's not going to happen."

Reaching back behind his desk, he unlocked a small drawer before pulling out a old envelope. Inside it, he pulls out a small faded card in plastic, that contained his true name and birth date, which would have had him about ... 51 years old???? He'd let that part sink in. "It's not fake."

Niks looked at the card then up at him, brow raised.? The years were quickly calculated; her eyes narrowed a little as she continued to stare.? Sure, he could look good for his age, but she didn't think he could look that good. "Right.? Brehnic...Alexander? "? Yes, she was being smart and not making a joke for now.? Her fingers twisted the card over, round and round. "What is this?? I know what it is, but what is this?"? She tapped at the date of his birth.

"That's exactly what it is. My date of birth. I died ... Was killed in 1984. I was 27. That's where/when it stopped. One of the perks of being what ... we are." Looking up at her again.

"We?"? Niks looked up at him, and laughed.? Well, really what else was she supposed to do. "We?? Com'on, Brehn, I know I'm the new girl, and I know I can be gullible, but really?"(d)

"That's why you're here. Look Niklas, there are a lot more of us out there than I thought. Not just here in the USA, but the whole world. What you are? They call you a Pre-Immie. You're mortal, until that first fatal wound, or .... Death." Sighing, he had to smile just a tiny bit. "I was where you were not too long ago, the whole disbelief, and what not. You still have a chance to live out your life as a mortal, but always looking over your shoulder."

So he would attempt to tell Niklas about what she was and the whole Immortal thing was about. Not one time did his gaze waver, his tone change, or offer any clues/hints to one that maybe lying. He would answer every question she had, and when that wasn't enough? That letter opener was put to good use, right through his own hand.

Niks didn't scream.? No, Niks more or less jumped away from him and stared, mouth open and ready to catch flies.? This was so many levels of wrong it wasn't funny.? She started to back away and managed to get a fall that only Dick Van Dyke would love; his original id held tightly in her hand.? It was hard to hold on to something for reality sake when it shouldn't have been real.

Niks didn't get up, she just sat there, thinking.? Honestly, if he wanted to get her with the letter opener, he could have done it even if she ran.? Of course, there were people out there who might see, but .... "Do Ev and Cassie know?"

With a cringe, he pulled it free from his hand, before clinching it into a fist, slowing the bleeding.? She didn't scream. That was a good sign. Moving around the front of the desk, he leaned against it, making no move to stop her.

"No. I've been close to telling them though, but it's not something ... Mortals understand. Hell, there are some nights I just sit here in the dark and still shake my head."

Glancing down at his hand, he looked over at Niklas before slowly extending it out to her ... Bloody it was still, but the gash? It was already closed!!! "Now you know my secret. Careful what you ask for."

"Well, sane people don't ask, and saner ones don't tell."? Niks sat where she was on the floor, watching the bloody hand.? Yeah.? "You know you're gonna have a hard time getting the blood out?"

She hadn't accepted it.? In fact, she wasn't sure what it was she was supposed to be accepting.? Instead, she'd just stare and wait for some sort of sign that this was all some huge cosmic joke.? Her elbows went to her knees, the id still in her hand - he wasn't getting that back anytime soon.

"You know, I was hoping that your big secret was that you liked little women and asked them to beat you late at night with whips while singing 'What's New Pussycat?.'? That I can understand.? But this?"? A wave of id-filled hand at bloody one. "This..."? Her voice was soft; that feeling of being different ached inside her - seemed she'd always been right after all.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The extended hand wasn't much as an offer to pull her up, especially since he still had a free clean hand. It was more to display his healing ability, which would offer a more visual point of view to his claim."Sorry to be busting your bubble then, Niklas. But I'm not THAT twisted. I would like my ID back though. Call me sentimental."

In another few minutes, his hand would be completely healed. "I wish there was another way to have explained it to you, but there's never a right time to explain something like this." He knew there had to be at least a billion questions running through her mind, and he would do his best to answer them all ...

Right now he was trying to judge which way she was going to go with this ...

Niks looked from the freak to his id.? It was odd, but she didn't want to give it back.? If she gave it back, he'd hide it, and then probably make her crazy.? Well, she was probably already crazy, but still.? She flipped the id over and over, looking at it from every angle - not that she was hurting it.?

"I suppose there are many ways to explain something like..this, but they probably all have the same conclusion.? How did you find out?? How did you react?"? Yeah, she wasn't handing it right back.

"I was ... murdered, and left in an alley. I woke up in a hotel suite, with Jere looking over me. Needless to say I wigged out, nothing like having a strange man hover over you, right? And there was that thing I remembered ... Dying. Jere pretty much gave me the same speech I gave you, and my reaction was pretty much like yours. "

"Yes, and that's always a healthy thing to do."? Her nose wrinkled as she finally looked at him, really looked at him. "So, are you going about it backwards?? Gonna kill me off now?? And what's the point?? What, are we some sorta guardian force?? Yes, I have read a great many comics and seen almost as many movies - I'd have to say they're very good protections against this whole.." She waved her hand around. "Situation."

With a soft sigh, she found her way to her feet and walked toward the desk before resting her hand and his id within on top of said desk.? She quickly stepped away, not wanting to be near him at that moment.

"Nope. I was hoping that you would live a regular boring life. That all changed in Morocco. Then I had this crazy idea of keeping a close eye on you by getting you here in Vegas, and giving you a job ... Yup, that worked out just fine, huh?"

No move was made towards the wary young woman when she placed his ID back on the desk. "You know that time we met at the library? I saved your life. There was another Immortal that had ...? Plans for you ... I taught him the error of his ways."

Next up? He'd explain the quickening, the gathering, the trench coats, the swords, and the guns. "I didn't have a choice, Niklas. You do.? Sort of."

"Oh."? Niks nodded slightly, as if that truly did answer everything.? It didn't, but still. "My knight in not so shining armor.? So you didn't hire me for my good looks or my amazing personal skills?"?

She was digesting, and the only way she could do a good job of it?? Make it some bad joke.? She started pacing again.? This was insane.? Completely insane.

"I don't have much of a choice.? Not really.? Live in fear, play the game, or live in ..well, not so much ignorance as stupidity."? Her voice was flat; she was trying to play it all off, and she knew she wasn't doing a very good job of it.

"Mutherfucker.? What the fuck?? Shit!"? Yeah, this was certainly a good way to act. "This is total bullshit.? Lemme guess there are more out there like you than out there like me right?? Are there any other there like?"

Shrugging his shoulders ... "Lot older than me in age, but looking just as young as you and I. Jere? Hell, he fought in the Battle of Little Big Horn ... Died there too. The older ones can sense you Pre-Immies a lot better than us New Age Immortals." Picking up his ID, he looked at it with a small smile. "Blessing and a curse. And with our world being the way it is now? It's a lot harder to hide what we are from those that have been around. Damned Internet, and DNA testing ... He stops himself, looking over at Niklas. "For what it's worth? I'm sorry. Some knight, huh?"

He needed a drink. Luckily his office had a fully stocked bar, and Brehnic was going to take full advantage of that right now.?

"I think paladin - they really weren't as smart as you'd think, just overly dedicated to a cause that was usually a little more confusing than they realized?? Mm.? You're a fine knight.? I'm just not the best damsel in distress.? I'd rather kick you than be whisked away from danger."? She continued to pace.

"So, what does this mean?? Now that I know?? I can't tell when there are..others around I'm guessing.? It's not like I have spidey sense, does this come with spidey sense?" (d)

"It comes with you being an Immortal, which you are not. Yet. Jere wants to train you. Prepare you. I told him it would be your choice, not his. That's what we were ... Talking about, when you came a knockin'. Want a drink?"

"Not really.? Don't think it's wise for you to do that either.? You might be fifty-one, but I have to wonder about those marbles of yours and if you have a full set."? Niks paused long enough to look at him then went right back to pacing.?

"Why were you arguing?? You don't want him to train me?"

"It would be a pain, but there's still a chance for you to live a normal life. That's what I was arguing for. Jere says it's your destiny. Bottom line it's your choice. " Pausing long enough to toss a couple ice cube into a glass before reaching for the hard stuff. "His thing is that you be better prepared to defend yourself, as well know the tell tale signs of spotting another of our kind, even without being able to sense them ...."

"Oh."? She nodded, coming to a stop again. "But, I can't be normal, can I?? It's like all those stories about fairies - once you know they exist, once you see them, they see you.? You're breaking an unspoken agreement when you recognize them, acknowledge them.? I probably can't go back to normal.? Not living here with you, not after you...you know."? She shrugged, moving quickly.

"Why are you drinking?? You're not the one with the death thing hanging over your head - you just have to keep your head on your shoulders."

Kiddo, Immortal always have the *Death Thing* hanging over us. It comes with the life style. I still have a damned conscious!!! Until you met me, you had a normal life, and now it's gone. Poof. C-ya. I need a drink." And he poured himself a double for starters.

"Oh, brother.? Good gods.? You really are full of yourself.? If what you say is true, I wasn't going to ever have the so called normal life.? If you killed someone, and you did whatever you did in Morocco, do you really think if you hadn't been there my life would be any different?? I'd be either dead, about to die, or in the same place I am right now with someone else.? It's life apparently."? She shook her head finally taking a spot on his desk.

Brehnic tensed up for just an instant at her words, his back still turned. Then a deep breath was taken and expelled ... "You're taking this better than I thought." Pouring himself another glass. "At least you get to have some control over how/when you die, hmmm?"

"Highly unlikely.? I'd prefer not to die at all, but it's going to happen no matter what, isn't it?"? She shrugged again; with a bit of a wiggle, her feet dangled a little.? She really was on the short side of things.

"So what are you going to do now?" Simple question. The answer? Not so much.

"I would guess I'm going to have you take me to dinner, then to meet Jere, then I'm going to go to dancing tonight.? Then I'll have many nightmares and wonder what the hell I'm going to do the next day."? There was a quick nod.? she didn't have many other choices.

He'd smile, before turning around, leaving the drink on the bar. "Take... You to dinner?"

"Well, lunch actually.? Dinner's a little late.? I think lunch would be the best."? Niks smiled; she was trying to relax, to find her way, and at the moment, it meant going to lunch, to eat.

A sideward glance back towards the bar, before looking back at her ... "Heh. I can do that. Let me get cleaned up, and I'll meet you down in the lobby, alright?" Nodding , while giving her a small smile.

"Sure.? And you might want to get someone to clean up that mess..."? He had bled after all.? She motioned to the few drops that had escaped him. "I'll be downstairs."?

"Yes, mother. Right. I'll get on that, ASAP." Shutting the doors behind her, Brehnic did make that call to housekeeping, to have some one come clean up the mess. Standing back at the bar, it did occur to him that she could have lied through her teeth, so she could haul ass out of there.? Not that he would have blamed her.

Lifting up his glass, he stared blankly at it before downing the contents. Setting the empty glass down, Brehnic glanced down at the small firearm that was hidden inside of a compartment of the bar ...(m) "It be Yer choice fer now, luv.? Fer now."