Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Grace Point Church was North of Las Vegas, and it served a much higher purpose than those quickie wedding chapels. Jere had become a welcome sight there, sharing stories of his own personal faith while listening to others. He had memorized all such grounds upon his arrival to Las Vegas, being prepared was something his former mentor had taught him. Those guidelines they all followed did benefit those that used them. It was later in the evening, and Jere was offered a small room to reside in before returning back *home* in the morning. They had given him several books to read, which helped pass the time, as well keep his thoughts level.

He had been to St. Barts, and had come up empty. The villa had been empty, and the only thing neighbors could say was that the tenant kept to herself. So, dead end until such time he hacked the Database again. How the rangy Immortal ended up in Las Vegas by way of Miami was a whole other story, but suffice to say, the Ancient enjoyed the warm weather, and the anonymity of Sin City. He could wait on finding Giannini... She had to know he was coming. The sun was setting as he stepped out of the lobby of his new home for the moment, and hailed a cab.

The text read offered a slight distraction, but his thoughts would often return to the recent conversations he held with his former student, Alexander Conner. Was this uncharted ground? Telling a pre-immie of their impending fate? Their destiny? Alexander in most eyes was still fresh from the Immortal womb himself, and was not equipped to handle the task that now faced him. (m) "My hair would be grey already ... If I had any." He needed some air. Jere had been given a key to go and come if needed, though his short trek would take him to the garden behind the church, where a small smile did enter those dusky features ...

Settling into the backseat of the cab, he instructed the driver to just cruise the city. He had no particular destination; just getting a feel for the city and it's long-lived residents. Dev stretched his senses, pushing his Quickening range as far as he could... a little trick he picked up in Tibet... enabling him to 'feel' Immortals from a much farther distance. The Ancient wasn't sure if others knew this trick, and he hadn't asked, but it served him well. His driver shrugged, started the meter and took off down the brightly-lit Las Vegas Strip.

He decided when this was said and done, he would return home. His true home, where he died ... And was reborn. He felt the need to be centered once again. It wasn't just about Alexander, and the young Niklas Wright. It even wasn't Methos. No, it was about a journey that had no end, seeking solace within churches and holy ground, avoiding others of his kind. Though teaching at various colleges did allow him to interact with the modern minds of today, something he enjoyed doing. Granted there were a handful that attended church, but they were few and far between. Jere hated to admit it, but he even enjoyed the brief encounter he had with Alexander and Tohmas at the gala. There was even the random encounter with Nova Giannini, whom Alexander sought out as his new teacher. A small frown found it's way onto his face, for the woman Nova reminded him of someone he had not thought off in a very long time.

Shamair.

Shaking his head, that thought alone server to convince him that he needed some time off ... Another look towards the skies displayed a partly cloudy view, much needed rain would be making its way there later tonight.

They were driving north, the lights and glitz dimming with each passing mile. And then Methos felt it. That not-sound singing through his core. From then on, Methos started giving the driver instructions based on the strength of that Quickening, following the thread, until it led him to the front door of what looked to be a church, but not in the traditional, Old World sense. The Immortal asked the driver to stop, then fished out his wallet to pay for what amounted to an hour-long joyride, and not to wait for him, thanks, he'd call for another cab. Cautiously, Methos wandered up to the front door of the church to check it out.

It was like an itch at the back of his neck at first, then becoming more pronounced. Save for rising to his feet and dusting himself off, there would be no mad dash for his sword, that had been left inside his room. He was on holy ground, sacred, and it push came to shove, he had other means of protecting himself, though he hoped it wouldn't come to that. Save for another random immortal seeking shelter, Jere made his way back inside the church, walking towards the front entrance, with little or no sense of urgency. A small nod of his head when the caretaker looked up from his reading ...

Pushing the door open, he reminded himself that even if this was Holy Ground, a growing number of Immortals weren't following that Rule, it seemed. Green/gold eyes scanned the room quickly, spotting a couple of people... and one who looked vaguely familiar. Not really a surprise that the Quickening was radiating from that particular man.

If not for the picture that Alexander had given him back in Las Vegas, the recognition might have taken longer, not to mention he would not have been this at ease. He had not aged a day. Then again, neither had he. Jere allowed himself to smile, his casual gait slowing to a halt. Multitude of memories flashing through his head of a time long passed, an encounter of meeting another of his kind. The teaching that followed, and a
    friendship that ensued. "Welcome to Grace Point, old friend." The approach would
    continue, the hand extended.

His memory raced through little flash cards of people he knew throughout the ages, and Methos' eyes narrowed in thought. In his mind's eye, the man's clothes morphed from cotton, to buckskin... then snapped back. Grey Wolf. Methos broke into a smile, took a step forward and clasped Grey Wolf by the forearm. "It is good to see a friend."

Methos' forearm would be grasped in return. "In the crazy chaotic world we live in today? I have to agree." The caretaker would return to his reading once he saw that Jere knew the other gentleman. The smile would remain as Jere took a step back, looking at Methos once again, that smile becoming wider if possible, before softening into a semi serious expression. The conversation would continue about Las Vegas, until they were in the back of the church, inside the garden. "I think this is the part where I ask, what brings you here?" Sitting down Indian style on the ground.

"That happens to be a really good question, actually. It's been about... one hundred seventy years since I've been in this area. And I might of... not really looked at my plane ticket I bought in Miami..." He trusted the last bit*rushed* the last bit out, hoping Grey Wolf wouldn't make a big deal about it. Methos ducked his head and sat down as well, getting comfortable.

"I wasn't certain if our paths would cross this soon after the encounter you have with a former student of mine. You left quite the impression upon him, and that's saying much. In fact, he's come up with several theories, some credible, others not so much, but enough to cause one in our position to stop and ponder." Jere was never one to speak long of trivial things, or beat around the bush. There was nothing in his tone or body
    language to offer any hints that he wasn't happy about what happened to Alexander. The
    irony? The concern was more placed with Methos, and what could have happened
    to him to cause such a action ... Or reaction.

Methos raised his head and studied the Lakota man for a moment. "The only Immortal I've let live in the last four years was Kohnar... so he was yours? He was needed to confirm some Intel I had. He was being... uncooperative He could have just given me what I needed and been done with it."

The smile would return, along with a shake of the head. "Alexander? Difficult? His brashness is one of his more better qualities. Much potential in him. Perhaps you sensed it as well? He is indeed a product of his era." If Methos did not bring up the woman's name, Jere would respect that and would do the same. "You appear troubled, like a great unseen weight has been placed upon your shoulders." It wasn't an offer of assistance, no, it was more of an
    observation. "Alexander has much potential, though there is much anger in him, I'm afraid. He still has not handled the transition very
    well. "

"He'll adapt, or die, Gray Wolf, just as we did." Yes, it was true, the Ancient was radiating tension, even from his relaxed posture. "Why aren't you his teacher any more? What made him seek out... another?"

A deep breath taken, his expression reflective before answering. "Inner demons. They control him more often than he controls them. He seeks those that walk the fine line of our rules. He has been warned of taking such a path, and perhaps after being shot several times, he sees the error of his ways. He felt he could learn more on his own, so I granted him his chance to do so. Of the few that I have mentored, he is the most ... Unique. He even discovered a pre-immie."

"He has that gift, huh?" He shifted a bit, leaning back on his hands. "Have you been to the Four Corners area? Anasazi territory, way back when... I went back a few years ago. The pueblos are still there, the rock carvings, all of it. It was quiet... just me and the eagles, really. I'm thinking I should make another visit soon."

An arch of a eyebrow. "Indeed? Hmmm. I have been thinking about returning home to
    center myself. Perhaps it is something in the air? Immortal movement seems to
    be more ... active of late. I am not sure if that bodes well for the future
    or not." Nodding slowly.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Old friend. Alexander also informed me of something that until now, I never gave much thought. What is more ironic is that young Niklas also mentioned the same question." Jere would look directly into his former mentor's gaze right then. "Are there others aware of our existence? Besides our own kind? In the past it was easy to blend in, but in this electronic age? I frown at my own ignorance on this particular subject."

Methos tipped his head back, looking up towards the heavens. What should he say? What could he say? The less Immortals that knew about the Watchers, the better off everyone would be.
    "Wolf... I'll tell you, but you will not pass this along to others. I want your word, no forked-tongue between us. Agreed?"

"Methos. We are beyond friends. You are more a brother to me than my own kin. We bonded by blood many years ago, and I will honor that until my dying breath." Jere's gaze was unwavering, as his quiet tone spoke volumes. For Methos to offer such a caution? It must be serious indeed. "You have my word."

"There are mortals who know of our existence. Have known for thousands of years. They watch our lives... where we live, who we love... or kill." Methos' voice was quiet and level, meeting Jere's eyes. "They write it all down... Every Immortal has a Chronicle dedicated to them."

The usual neutral expression was gone, replaced by one of instant awe. He would remain silent long after Methos spoke, taking it all in. His eyes would soon be focused upon his own lap, one hand rubbing his chin lightly. The expression of awe would soon become neutral once again, slowly nodded to himself. "Like Big Foot. Loch ness. UFOs. And now Immortals. I find this most uneasy that there is someone out there watching my every move. Do they use us to uncover the Pre-Immies as well?"

" No one should know about them, least of all Immortals. And they almost never reveal themselves, they just stay in the background, for the most part." The Ancient shifted again, laying back in the grass, staring at the sky. "As for pre-Immortals, I think Watchers ignore them until they become fully-fledged Immortals, and then they're assigned their own Watcher."

"I want answers. I want the truth. You can't handle the truth. A Few Good Men. A very entertaining movie. Pardon my moment of ill humor, but this is ... Difficult to take in." Rubbing his temples now, his gaze now back upon Methos.

"Then I hope I have not bored my guardian(s) to tears, for my life has been quite uneventful." That small grin resurfacing. "Then may I ask a question concerning another Immortal?"

"My Watcher probably just wishes I would settle down in one place longer than a month..." Sharing Jere's grin. "Go for it." He wished they were back the Lakota encampment... sitting perhaps around a fire, sharing a pipe between them. " I hope I have an answer."

"It is about my former charge, Alexander. He has been acting most ... peculiar, since his return from Morocco. Originally I just dismissed it due to the trauma of being shot ... Twice. But I feel it's more than that. I did not make the connection until recently. This woman. Nova Giannini. I can assume you know her well?" Jere did not want to bring up her name, but there were too many pieces to the puzzle that needed placed together.

"I ask because she reminds me of another. One that I have not thought of in quite some time."

And he was reminded that everything in life is interconnected. "Nova and I were married for roughly eighty years, I guess I know her as well as she let me."

"Have you heard of an Immortal called Shamair? Nova in some ways reminded me of her, and I fear she might have ties with her." A troubled look was easily seen on Jere's face then, as he continued. "I had encountered Shamair during the 1980's, we both were attending to business of our own, one of those random encounters of paths crossing. It was during that time that there was a discovery of a Pre-Immie. Alexander Conner. She expressed interest in him, to an extent that disturbed me. I kept a close watch on the youth until that night he had been slain. I had been quick enough to recover the body and leave the town ....."

Letting out a deep breath, Jere shook his head slowly. "I hoped that she would have moved on, forgotten about him, but perhaps it was not in her nature to have something she wanted to obtain, taken from her. And Alexander isn't the shy one about staying out of the public eye. I am ... Sorry if this makes little sense."

He ran through his mental list of Immortals he'd known. " I don't remember a Shamair... but then, unless she made an impression, I probably have forgotten the name."

Nodding slowly, Jere would just shake off the notion for the moment. "Well, on a brighter note, Niklas Wright? She has much potential. To the point that I may un retire and teach her myself. These upstarts are just too wild, too unpredictable, while Niklas comes across like an old soul, very mature despite her youth. It saddens me that her fate has her walking down another path, to embrace ... Endure our legacy."

"This is the one that Kohnar found, right? She hasn't had her first death yet, has she?" Methos paused, raising his head to stare at Jere. "Are thinking about hurrying her Immortality along?" He really, really hoped that Jere... and Brehnic wouldn't 'help' her along, and let it happen naturally, if at all.

A small chuckle escaped him in response to Methos' question. "Hardly, old friend. Her fate is her own, and I will be there if it takes an ... Immortal turn. Some things must run their course. I have my own tasks to attend to. I've given her then means to contact me. I personally hopes she lives and dies a natural life. Something that most of us were denied."

He wrinkled his nose at that thought. "I would have missed out of some pretty fucking amazing things, though. I'm not sorry I'm Immortal."

Jere declined to comment on if he were happy with his present path. Instead, that neutral expression would find itself back upon his face, followed by a slow nod of his head once again.