Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

? Niks hadn't mentioned meeting anyone when she went back to work.? She hadn't said a word.? The petite woman had decided that she'd do a little research of her own before talking to one of the two men who thought they just might know what's best for her.? Men and their silly ideas - bout as useful as mice sometimes.?

She was smart enough not to do her research on company time, nor on company equipment.? Her salary and the lack of paying a good many bills meant that she was able to afford a very nice laptop with all those lovely firewalls and such.? She wasn't silly enough to think it couldn't be hacked, but it would take a bit to look at.? Yes, she'd let it all stew long to start looking for answers on her own.? There was a good bit out there surprisingly.? Then again, a good bit of that good bit were crackpot theories and fantasy games.

She groaned softly as she finally got off the phone with a client.? He was mad that whatever artifact he'd been promised hadn't come in on time - it was too late now for the grand conjunction, or whatever it was he'd been going on about for the last hour and a half.? Niks knew she shouldn't go in to talk to Brehn, Alex, whatever, in a slightly frustrated mood, but maybe that was the best to give her some nerve.? So, she grabbed up the file and headed to Brehn's door, giving it a quick knock.

"Brehnic?"

Brehnic sat quietly at his desk, something he had been doing since the crack of dawn. Just thinking. The knock on his door snapped him out of his deep thought ... Squinting over at the clock, he shook his head several times before getting up to answer the door. An arch of the eyebrow, when he saw that it was Niklas. "What's up, Niklas?" Turning back around to pull back the balcony blinds and let some much needed light into the room. Sitting back in his chair, the young woman had his full attention ... At least for now, those dark eyes resting on her, while he kicked his feet up upon the desk ...?

? A brow lifted at the relaxed reclined position.? Really, who was he supposed to be fooling?? She dropped the file on his desk, it wasn't tossed, flung or any of that.? Just dropped.? Her hands? stayed at her side as she got a quick look out the window before looking back at him.

"This client isn't happy.? From what I understand the firm isn't exactly known for letting things drop?"? She'd get to the other comments and questions in a bit - this was her lively hood that she had to deal with first - that or she was working her way up to certain subjects.

Glancing down at the file, he'd glance through it, before looking back at her. "He's testing you. You're new." simply said, before tilting his head one way, then the next, popping sounds could be heard .... "He pulled the same stunt with Cassie. Once." He had to smile at that memory.

"Anything else?"

" It's a stunt?? People do like making a lot of noise about nothing, don't they?? Or at least just like to make noise."? Niks turned her attention completely from him and walked to the window.? Putting her back to him might not have been wise, but she really wasn't in the mood to look afraid. "Then again, they also seem to like talking about potentials, and making warnings."

"What was that last part??" Turning in his chair to face her. "This is really about the file is it, Niklas?" At least that was the slight headache was telling him .... Sighing, Brehnic dropped the empty bottle into the trash can, before leaning back into his chair was again. It had been a strange past couple of days, and he had the feeling it wasn't going to get better, judging by those less than cryptic spoken words from Niklas.

"Yes, Brehnic, Alexander, whatever I'm supposed to call you.? It's all about some stupid file.? Then again, that guy didn't come and tell me that you an' Jere have been talkin' me up an' down.? Then again, that guy coulda been full o' shit too."? Her accent had slipped just a little.? She turned to face him, what light was coming in through the window backlit the smaller woman.?"I'm sure it's more the latter than the former."

"............. Close the door, and have a seat." Niks' brow rose as she watched him.? She thought of telling him to shut his own fuckin' door, but opted out of it.? She really wasn't in the mood to find his anger, specially not when so much was being put into question.? So, she crossed the room and nudged the door closed.?

There was a small rebellion in that she didn't' take a seat automatically, rather she walked to it and settled into a lean against its back.? More things between her and these damned Immortals seemed like a good idea until she knew exactly what was going on.

"Let's start off with ... That guy? What guy?" Brehnic's thoughts were already racing with possible suspects, and he wasn't too happy that Niklas had been found so
    quickly .... But he'd hear what she had to say first.

"How many guys could the two of you be talking to about the newb?"? Niks' head tilted.? It was strange to think about. That they'd actually talk about her to other people when they were supposed to be keeping her safe.? Her brow raised and accusations danced in her eyes, with a little anger.
    "Remind me again how you're letting me have a normal life if you're out there spouting whatever it is to other people?"

"Jere was the only one I spoke to, Niklas." Brehnic looked her right in the eyes on that one. "It would be stupid of me to talk to any one else about you in that context. Especially for the reasons you just
    mentioned." There was no hint of a smile, no accent this time. He was being 100% serious. A few more pieces of that puzzle were starting to fit together, and he didn't like it. Niklas' body language spoke volumes. "This guy have a name?"

"Yes, but I don't think it was his given.? Y'all really don't like going by the original name, do ya?? His name was Dev."? Niks didn't back down when he looked at her.? She hadn't with the old guy, and it was highly unlikely she would with the much younger "old guy".?Her lips had thinned to a line, and she didn't like the cloak and dagger routine from all of this.

The look Brehnic gave Niklas at the mention of his name ... It was like someone just walked up to him, and shot him right in the head. (m) "Dev. " Brehnic would offer a quick description of the man ... His facial features, his accent, his mannerisms. "That sound like him?" Quietly asked, while glancing over at the bar ...

"Yes." Niks looked over at the bar as well. "You've been drinking too much."? It was said as an everyday observation might be; she didn't' like how much he was drinking.? Not that she knew all of it, but still, he was trying a little harder than she liked to escape his situation in a bottle. Niks shifted her weight against the chair, but she still didn't move to sit in it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ignoring? her comment about his drinking, Brehnic was already walking over towards the bar, muttering something before finding what he was looking for, downing several shots before placing the top back on. With his back still turned to her, Brehnic began replaying key conversations from past events dealing with several Immortals. Then he walked over to the mirror on the wall, just looking at himself for several moments.

Without warning, Brehnic suddenly punched his fist through the mirror, causing it to shatter around him. "Well, I've gon' a played th' role o' fool so long, tha' it became my second nature after all, yanno.? I did nae betray ye trust, luv. I be tellin' only one mon, an' dat be me former teacher, Jere Wulfsohng."

Only then did he glance over his shoulder at the girl ... "Dis Dev ... He be th' one tha' shot me in Morocco. " And those dark eyes would narrow more ... "He was in Morocco de same time ye an' me be dere. He came at me lookin' fer info about anudder tha I be lookin' to be me teacher." Brehnic also recalled the comment Shamair made about him working with her. It made perfect sense now.

"Dey run in packs, tryin' to rattle we pups cages." Nova. Her lover. Dev. Shamair. Jere. They were all connected some how .... Dev. He knew about Nova and Keyes. He was with another Immortal in Morocco ... What was her name? Amanda. Then there were those he semi encountered at the square. It seemed that where ever Immortals were, so was he. (m) "Dere can be ... Only one."

Niks' nose wrinkled a little as he went from one extreme to another.? And, yes, she jumped when he hit the mirror - it wasn't like she was expecting him to do something so very stupid.

"That was brilliant.? And, you really think it's just because we're new.. Actually, of course, it's because we're new.? They don't want use to get as old as they are - top of the heap and all that.? Jere might, but I don't know about the rest of them.? I really don't think it's worth hitting a mirror for.? Hitting someone else, maybe, but not a mirror."? She'd certainly considered hitting him after all.

"Changed your accent again.? Random?"

There was one more item that had been picked up from the bar, and it was now pointed at her. And Brehnic wasn't smiling. "Now be nae th' right time t'be lecturin' me, girl. Ye be havin' a higher price on yer pretty lil head, because yer a Pre-Immie!!" He'd stare at her for several moments. "Feh. Yer right." Tucking the fire arm into his pocket, Brehnic then pulled out his cell ... "Everett? Fire sale." And the cell was placed back inside his pocket. Walking over to his closet, he knelt down, pulling back the rug to? reveal a false bottom

Niks backed up a step or two before she remembered that only glass was behind her.? She would die certainly that way.? There was a quick side glance at the door before she focused more on him.? The fact that he said she was right didn't exactly calm her any.

"Fire sale?? Are we about to get our asses out of Dodge?"

"Somethin' like that. Th' business be placed under new management. Cassie an' Everett be running th' show now, yanno." Collecting what he needed, he began spray a fine mist power all over the office, covering everything in sight, before looking over at Niklas with that devious grin. "Moment o' truth, girl. Ye can walk out tha' door, an' ye will never see me again. Or, we be takin' matters into our own hands now, livin' by th' skin o' our teeth .... "

He wasn't waiting on an answer, as Brehnic fully stepped inside the closet, and didn't come back out, right away.

Niks took a few steps toward the closet, giving the door out of the office a glance.? She knew Cassie and Ev would keep her on.? Why would they want to get rid of her?? She also knew that while they meant well, and they probably had their secrets, they wouldn't be able to tell her who/what she was.? They wouldn't be able to explain.? Then again...Jere was out there.?

"Fuck me.? You do realize teeth don't have skin, right?"? She rounded the furniture and stood in front of the closet door, brow raised. "Not sure I'd want to live by it even if they did."

Steps ... There were steps!! And the door was starting to close. That powder he sprayed?
    Things were starting to smoke just a tad .... And the man himself? Already half way up the stairs.

Niks cursed softly again, dodging the door and following right behind him.? It wasn't like she had many choices, now did she?

By the time he emerged, Brehnic was standing on the roof top, glancing down at his watch. The winds were picking up, and there was a faint sound of sirens being heard in the distance.
    Hearing someone behind him, he looked over his shoulder at Niklas. "Welcome. An' de answer be yes."?

"Well, at least we know you haven't gone completely over the edge."? Niks settled in beside him as she came out, her hair whipping about her face.? If she'd been on some moor/heather type thing, she'd have looked almost romantic, but she wasn't.? Her lips were still thinned as she watched the world around them.? If the winds became too much, she'd have to use him as an anchor.

"What are we waiting on?"

"Not yet, but I be an Immortal, so dere still be time." As the sirens sounded closer, Brehnic smiled to himself ... A News chopper was coming in for a landing ... "I be waitin' fer tha'. "

"You're waiting on a news helicopter?? Plan on going out in a blaze of glory?"? Niks didn't move away from him, not yet.? His body was used to block a good bit of the wind instead.

Once in the air, they would easily blend in with other helicopters that were in the area,
    responding to the reports of? a hotel fire upon the upper floor. If? he was being watched by Dev, this gave him a head start. The helicopter was in Everett's name, with another helicopter's id number of course, while Cassie made the call. Any other paper trails, electronic or other wise would be lead back to them. By all intended purposes ...Elvis had indeed left the building.

Brehnic had almost a serene calmness about him, once they were in the air ... It was time to get back to the basics again. Those older Immortals had their way ... He was going to have his.

Niks wasn't ready for lift off, and she wasn't ready for whatever was coming next.? But, she would live, come what may.? She might not have been raised in harsh times, or had to live a hard life, but, Niks was rather able to take care of herself.? If she sat beside him, she'd continue to use Brehn as an anchor - it wasn't everyday she sorta ran for her life in a helicopter.