Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Planes, trains, and automobiles. The past several days were nothing short of a chaotic blur. This wasn't something just thrown together by the self dubbed New Age Immortal. He knew one day he'd have to up and go once again, and with meeting so many immortals during the past few months, that time table would be pushed up. Only this time, there was one minor hitch, a new wrinkle added to the mix.

Niklas Wright, a pre-immie. That term may not mean much to the general populace, but to those that have been ... Blessed to have been born with certain special traits, she was a rare find indeed. Brehnic had been very quiet since leaving Vegas, his thoughts deep, his mind elsewhere. There was a lot of information he needed to digest, to try and make sense of it all.

Especially when it came down to who were the good and bad guys. Most of the immortals he had encountered seemed to run by their own rules, despite following some age old code of ethics. He for one was tired of it all, and it was past time to take matters into his own hands ...

Niks, on the other hand, was a little annoyed. She didn't like feeling as if she were on some world wind romance, minus the romance. Or some grand adventure, minus the grand and the adventure. It felt like running, and while she could perfectly understand the need to do so, it annoyed her, frustrated her, scared the ever lovin' shit outta her.

Whatever vehicle they took, wherever they stopped in between, the petite woman was usually curled up in a chair staring out at the world as it moved around her. She felt
    isolated, and Brehn/Alex's silence certainly wasn't helping the matter. "Where are we going?"

" ................. Amsterdam." Softly spoken, while still staring out the window of the train. Everything purchased since leaving Vegas had been from saved up cash. Nothing taken from any bank accounts that could be traced. No cell phones. No 21 century technology. Truth be known? He almost liked it better this way. Living by his wits. Old school. Niklas. Shit. He had been so absorbed with covering his own tracks, he hadn't said two words to her.

"How are you holdin' up?" Silly question, but it still had to be asked, as he turned away from the window, his eyes and focus fully upon her.

"Amsterdam? Funny name I think. Then again, it always makes me think of two..no three things. Drugs, sex, and New York. Well, four. They Might Be Giant's
    'Constantinople' - well, I guess that makes it five things." She was curled up in the seat beside him, staring at the train's schedule, or more its route. She'd been ticking off the stops as they passed them.

"I'm lost. I really don't know what I'm doing here. Why am I here? Did you blow a fuse? Get tired of being big Vegas mogul type? Did the bad guys finally show up, was Dev a bad guy? Are you and Jere on the outs? Is Jere a bad guy? Are you a bad guy? But, then you'd probably not tell me if you were." Someone had caught some of what she was saying and was now staring at the pair; the look she'd learned as a librarian paid off, soon the stranger was looking elsewhere.

He listen to her as she rattled off the questions, and instead of having a look of
    annoyance, he actually smiled when she stopped to take a breath, or give him time enough to answer. "Why are you here? You decided to follow me. Blow a fuse? I wish it were that simple. I'm going to miss Vegas Niklas, tis my home away from home. And yes, the bad ... Guys were showing up. Dev? I'm not sure what he is, besides knowing waaaaaaay too much about folks. Jere? Right now 'm not to sure about any old guard immortal, but no, he's one of the good ones. Moi? I guess you'll just have to keep hanging around me to find out."

Did he cover them all? He thought so, but if he didn't? Niklas would be sure to ask him.

"You've got a plan. So, what is it? And, you do realize taking me along wasn't the best idea? Probably leaving my slow and dying ass behind mighta been better. Well, I know you gave me a choice, you're all about the choice, but I'm a bit of a liability aren't I? This is sorta my first time to run away from home in the majorally THX surround sound Cinescope sorta way."

Yes, she would probably kill a few of her future opponents with her words. Of course,
    she'd have to get to the whole opponent stage of life first. She looked down at the schedule again, finger tracing the line they were on. "I don't want hollow reassurances. Will I survive?"

Without any hesitation, Brehnic nodded his head ... "Yes. You are going to survive. And you let me worry about your slow and dying ass. " Spoken with a small grin, before he turned serious once again. "There's some serious shit going on of late with immortals, and I'm starting to piece some of it together. I swear if I didn't know and better, I think we were in GTA 5. Niklas, you being a pre-immie has made you a target of sorts, since it sounds like they are few and far between."

Taking a small breath to collect his thoughts before continuing ... " I met a woman that seemed waaaay to interested in me, back when I was still human. Then I got killed? Didn't see her much after that. Not until recently. And she was asking about you. About protecting you. I dunno, she sounded borderline obsessed with the idea. She mentioned working with another ... I'm thinking it's Dev. It's like these old guard immortals want to keep what they have, when dealing with the new crop of us. Including ones like yourself. If I would have left you behind, she would have gotten her hands on you. Nope. Not gonna happen. By the time they do find us? We'll be ready." That's when he started whistling the James Bond theme to himself.

"And how exactly will we be ready?" The young currently mortal woman reached over and poked him in the side. He really was being cryptic in a not so obviously cryptic manner. Her hand reached up and tug at an earlobe before she curled back up. "Well, if I were old regime, I certainly wouldn't want some newb invadin' my turf. Never know what comes with the new. Usually it's the same ole just in a shiny brand new wrapper that crinkles a little when you squish it. Or it's now in plastic not cardboard. Or just has the word 'New!' with a new color scheme. Nothing really changes when you get down to it. So, why do you think she was too interested in you? Did you have a
    girlfriend?" There was a playful smile; she was taking this as well as she could, which was pretty damn good if anyone asked her.

"Ahh, we're here. Welcome to New Amsterdam, Niklas. You're going to be stared at, because you're an American, but other than that? Just stick close. We have a nice little walk ahead of us." Grabbing his duffle bag, Brehnic slipped on his sunglasses before stepping off the train, taking a deep breath before exhaling. "Old world country feel. Gotta love it." Those shoulder length dreads were tied into a ponytail, while his attire was less flashy American style and more ... Blended in like? He seemed actually more at ease now ....

"I'm American? Yes, that's certainly going to make me stick out. I can pick up the language, but I really shouldn't have to worry too much about that, seeing as many
    people here speak English. The good ole U.S. of A - one of the few countries that doesn't bother with multiple languages in education." Niks' nose wrinkled, and she didn't like that she was being told she'd be stared at.

It wasn't like she was all that odd or extraordinary. She was just a girl, woman, whatever. She'd gone for something slightly hippy - beaten jeans, just as beaten tennies, and a tee. The backpack looked like something someone traveled Europe with, not something someone was on the run with. Or maybe it did. "Europe feels lived in. I like lived in."

Several bumpy taxi rides later, and the duo found themselves in what was called ... The Red Light District. Granted it was still light out, so the vibe was a tad bit subdued. Brehnic? You couldn't get that smile off his face. He didn't appear to be in much of a rush to reach their destination, as he ... took in all the sites, before stopping at a slightly run down hotel building.

The man behind the counter flashed them both a semi toothless grin, his yellow eyes lingering a bit longer upon Niklas, he welcomed them both to his humble abode. Brehnic stood quietly, listening to the sales pitch, and special deals, before he leaned forward, speaking in the owner's own native tongue. He would again smile at Niklas, before getting a key to their room. Glancing over his shoulder at her, Brehnic peered over the tops of his glasses ...
    "Shall we?"

Niks wasn't all that impressed with the Red Light; sure there were a few women in the windows already, but she'd seen worse on some cheesy teen movies. What slightly bothered her was the grin. Why did he have to look like a kid returning to the candy store? She shook her head and paused before the following Brehn in. She couldn't help the slight smile at the situation - they'd gone from uber rich, to Red Light.

Well, she supposed it had to happen eventually if one was on the run. The one key bit wasn't helping matters. She nodded slightly, giving the guy at the counter a glance, but nothing that would suggest she was interested - just wanted to show she wasn't afraid...not too much anyway.

The room ... wasn't that bad. It was located on the top floor, where the few windows provided decent view. And it looked like it had been cleaned on a daily basis!! Locking the door behind them, Brehnic went to pull back the blinds, letting in some more light into the room. It had one bed, and a couch, a bathroom with a shower, and a old American style television with recently installed cable. Brehnic appeared to have let his
    thoughts wonder again, as he stood looking out the window, with a thoughtful
    expression on his face.

"I'm not sure which I'd rather sleep on. The bed or the sofa. Specially if this place is hourly." Niks shivered thinking of it all. Yes, she was okay with what people did in their own rooms, their own beds, with their own time, but this was now her place and time and frankly she didn't want to share it with whomever might have come before her. Her nose wrinkled at the thought of it all, but she sat on the edge of the bed anyway. "So,
    what now, Ben?"

"And that's how your basic American would think. Besides, I'm taking the couch." A pause. " Ben?" Looking over at her.

"Uhm...as in Obi-Wan...Star Wars. 'Ben, you're my only hope.' Or something like that. We're in the Red Light. Please tell me how I'm supposed to think, oh wisened traveler. Who is only fifty years my senior. Yes, grant you, much has happened in those fifty years, but let's face it, you're only one step up the ladder of newbiedom than I am." The backpack had been pulled round so that her arms were now around it, hugged close to her body.

Leaning against the wall, he just regarded the young woman with that small knowing grin resting under his nose. "But it's what I know that may keep that head on your shoulders, and you off the immortal market for a little while longer, Princess. For now? You rest. Then I'll take you sight seeing. Nothing more fun than being here after dark ..." And there went that grin again.

"You are not corrupting me...if you're Ben, I wonder who's Han." Niks smiles before looking at the bed. With a slight shrug, she crawled up a little onto the center of the bed, using her pack as a pillow, she soon curled up to rest. "I do not need to find my way into some Dominatrix torture chamber."

"I said take you sight seeing, not show you the ... Night life. " Sitting down on the couch, he'd fine a decent channel to watch, while Niklas rested ... His own thoughts once again drifting back to an earlier time when he was nearly her age when it
    happened ...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brehnic did not sleep. Not that he couldn't, he just no longer felt the need to. That was a mortal thing, which he was not any more. The room was dark save for the light coming from the television. There were sounds coming from outside the window, as the night life was starting to assert itself. He would occasionally glance over at Niklas, but his focus was on what was currently playing ... A black and white documentary talking about the 1930's through the 1950's, something about it had left a small smile on his face ....

Niks shifted a little on the bed, and soon with a soft yawn, she was stretching and waking up. Well, partially awake anyway. Her lids were heavy as she peeked out at the room, taking the moment to remember where she was and why she was there. She curled right back up around the pack and watched the "colors" on the TV move. Or more the light and the dark, shadows dancing into the dark room really.

She tried to snuggle into the bed a little and go back to sleep. He'd wake her up if he'd want her up, surely. Or maybe she was hoping this was something of a bad dream and would soon wake up back in her own bed, wherever that would be now. Plus, she didn't want to think of the bed she was currently in. Her nose wrinkled; yes, she was being a little prudish, and she'd be okay with that for now.

The slight movement caught his eye, Brehnic shifted slightly in his chair. "Someone must have really been tired, hmmm?" Well, of course she was, considering the emotional roller coaster they had been on the past several days. He was impressed. Niklas was handling what was happening to her pretty well. It proved that he made the right call in doing what he did. Now as far as her ability to talk non stop at given periods? Well, everyone has their quirks .... Himself included. "Hungry?"

"Are you going to make me eat exotic chocolates?" The young human shifted a little to get a better peek at him. She yawned again, stretching again. Soon enough she sat up with a slight pout on her lips; sure, she was hungry, but Niks wasn't sure what she wanted to eat. Yes, she did want to go to Europe and have experiences, but at that moment, she would have liked a Whopper or a Quarter Pounder with Cheese. Fries, root beer with too much ice. It was silly and there was no way she'd mention it to him. Niks didn't like being a whiner, a talker sure, but not a whiner.

An arch of the eyebrow at her question, before smiling again. "Oh, you're joking. I'm sure we can find a place that serves American style food of the fast variety. They like to cater to some of the fads from the states here, while keeping true to what makes them ... Alluring." And that devious smile did surface from beyond the shadows of the room, before he left the confines of the chair to turn on the lamp light. Pausing once again while glancing over at the television, seeing that commercials were on, his attention back on Niklas.

"Of course, I'm joking. I like my chocolates in a more innocent fashion, even if they were introduced as aphrodisiacs. None of these nipples and such." With a soft moan, she stretched again, her body stretching cross the bed. "Mm. I wouldn't mind food in general, sort of." She stretched a little more, having been cooped up in planes, trains and automobiles, she wasn't sure she'd ever feel stretched out and relaxed enough. Sitting up, she looked around room. A hand quickly lifted to comb fingers through her hair. "Think it's safe to take a shower?"

"Yes, it is now. I had to kill several mutant sized roaches that came from the drain in the tub while you were sleeping."

Niks stared at him, her nose wrinkling. That was not a pleasant thought. "You're serious?"

"I'm kidding!!! It was only one." Niks shuddered again before taking a deep breath; she'd have to face it one way or the other. "If I catch something because of you." Claiming her pack, she headed over to the bathroom to take a quick shower, just need a quick clean up. He didn't have to worry; she wouldn't use all the clean towels. Hey, at least she wasn't mean or silly enough to try and be a tease. Just a prude!

"No, really, there are no roaches. These places are cleaner than you think." Nodding slowly before looking back at the television and sitting back down.

She looked like she felt better when she came out of the bathroom - clean clothes and body tended to do that to people. She smiled at him. "And nothing got me!"

He was half listening to her at one point, his focus nearly 90% on the show. " .... We can leave right after this is over, okay?" They were now going over the years of the Mafia in New York, the various families.

Niks settled down on the edge of the bed, jeans and tee again. She took his moment of distraction to yank on her shoes, now and then looking up to see what he was watching. She didn't think he was the kind to get lost in a show, but who knew? Leaning back on her hands, her legs stretched out before her, she relaxed into watching him more than the show. How long would he be around? Was this like the mama bird thing - he'd push her out of the nest to make her fly? Or would he keep her close until she could take care of herself? Which one did she want anyway?

Shaking his head several times, Brehnic chuckled before turning off the TV. "So Niklas, where do you wish to eat?" Pushing away from chair, he reach for a light weight material style trench coat, which allowed him to still fit in without drawing too much attention to himself. Then it was over to his duffle bag, kneeling over it for several moments before zipping it back up. Once he was ready to go, he'd look over at her.

"Food. Nothing that we don't normally have in the States - yes, I know that's slightly Ugly American of me, but dammit, I want something I recognize." Niks stood, stretching again. She looked at their bags. "Are we carrying them, new place and all, or are we leaving them here?" Her hands went to her pockets as she looked him over. "What exactly are we here to do anyway?"

"Our things will be safe here, no worries." Opening up the door, he would allow her to exit first, before closing/locking it behind them. "I happen to know of a place that serves American style food better than what they serve in America!! As for what we are supposed to do ... We sit, we order, we eat. Drinking is optional." He knew what she meant, but he was just in that type mind set right now. It would be a short walk to their destination, as the night life was getting into full blast.

Lit windows offering less than subtle hints of what to see inside, along with music coming from nearly every shop/store. Pushing his glasses back onto his nose, Brehnic smiled upon seeing the sign of the place where they were going to eat. At least from the outside it did not look all that bad and it was already past half full. Brehnic would request a booth in the rear , where his back would be to the wall, and he had a perfect view of who enter and/or exit the establishment.

The smells alone would make one hungry, the atmosphere felt, well, quite American. Moments after being seated, a waitress would bring them both menus, welcoming them. Her accent provided hints that she was a native here, but knew enough of the American lingo to get by. "I'd like an ice water for now ... Niklas?"

"Uhm...tea's fine." Niks settled in to the spot beside him. She looked rather tiny compared to him, but really she'd look tiny compared to most people. She knew she stood out for the moment, but she'd have to make it so that she didn't stand out. Brehn could be showy and what not, but Niks had a feeling she'd have to be a little less so. Then again, she didn't think she was the showy type. Someone working in the background, that was Niks. "I repeat, what exactly are we doing here..not this eating
    establishment, but Amsterdam?"

"We are eating ... In Amsterdam." Simply said while perusing the menu.

Niks' eyes narrowed, and she gave in - she gave him a quick pinch to the side, if he let her. "You know what I meant. Stop being so difficult."

Her hand would be swatted aside, as he continued to go over his choices. "Yes, I know what you meant. But before you drown me with questions, I'd like to get something in my stomach first. If that's alright with you. " Spoken with a small smirk this time. "Hmmm ... Onion peels. Have not had those in ages." Nodding to himself.

"Drown you with questions? It would matter if you could actually...would drowning do anything to you?" Niks looked down at her own menu. "I think I'd like a burger and fries. That's all I want." She leaned back in her seat a little and looked over the place. "And if I don't question, how am I to learn?"

He'd order a double cheeseburger, with the works to follow up the onion peels. Potatoe fries, and a ice cold draft beer. Handing the menu back, Brehnic began sizing her up, dark brown eyes staring at her from over the rim of his glasses, before finishing off his glass of water.

Niks was happy just stirring her tea; what was it with these Immortals and their staring? Round and round went the spoon, but she soon peeked up at him, brow raised. "What?"

"You have to promise me something. Never forget who you are. Your roots." Pausing once again to touch his chest, where his heart would be. "Never lose touch with yourself." Placing his hand back down. He would say nothing else until their food arrived.

Niks blinked at the words, but she didn't say anything. He had made a comment about questions coming after eating after all. She opted for just sipping on her tea and watching the world around her. Life was going to be slightly odd from now on, so she decided that perhaps she'd have to just accept it for the moment. "I hear there are some really nice museums around here."

"Mmmhmm." Said between bites of food. "Would you like to see some of them tomorrow? Their history is more ... Precise than what you have in the states. " The first bottle was quickly downed, before the second was ordered.

"And remind me. You're from where again?" What she had in the States? As if he were from somewhere else. She took a sip of her tea, and she was rather happy her burger wasn't bad at all. The fries were pretty good too. "Precision isn't all it's cracked up to be; it just depends on how much the winning side wanted to reveal of how they actually won."

" .... Scandinavia. At least that was what I was told. I was a toddler when I .... Arrived to the states. "

"Really?" Her lips pursed. "I don't know why I thought you were from somewhere else." Niks shrugged slightly. "Then again, I tend to forget things at times." She dug into the ketchup with a fry. Yes, she was definitely eating ketchup.

"That because I told you as such. Jamaica. And you do not forget much, if at all. This is why you were so good at your job. Your ability to retail information, and details, no matter how minor." And there was that slight stare of his again. "I am not sure how many pre-immies were in the position you are in now, to know what I am about to tell you, but use the knowledge well, for you will have an advantage whenever that ... Day comes, that you will become an Immortal."

There was no smile this time, no joking, only that expression that meant he was quite serious right now. "It can be a blessing, or a curse, depending on not only how you wish to look at it, or more importantly... How you die the ... First time." He'd stop right there, waiting for her to not only digest what he had just said, but preparing himself to answer what questions were coming.

A french fry was paused in a hover at her lips, she was staring right back, waiting for him to finish his thought. Or she might have missed part of that thought. She took a bite of the fry, setting the rest back on the plate, waiting again. "What can be a blessing? How I ...
    Advance to the next level? Or something more you've gone into total TV game show pause for? Sorry, Brehnic, but you're not making much sense right now. I'm sure you're wanting to, and maybe you are and I'm just missing it."

"To never age. To live forever if the fates are kind enough." Brehnic would touch base of the positives of being an Immortal, just as he would tell of the down side, including the part about a rearing children. "History. To watch it, be a part of it. Laugh to yourself when so called scribes get it wrong many years from now because you were there." Taking a drink from his bottle, he'd let the young woman once again digest what he was saying to her.

"No more cloak and dagger. No more cryptic words .... Tell me, how many books have you read in your profession? Think about the Immortals older than myself, that could tell you what actually happened, instead of what was printed on blank pages. To go to a museum and know the true history of nearly every piece inside their walls, instead of listening to one that reads from index cards .... The sadness of watching your old life pass you by, those you knew grow old and die, having to move around simply because you do not age. You ask why we change our names? That is why. Mortals have a limited span. We do not."

"Well, that much makes sense. But ...I don't know. Sometimes it seems like there's too many names. I don't know if I want to live forever. I would think the shorter life makes it sweeter?" Niks shrugged, not that she'd go out and look for a way to die, but she had been considering living for a very long time. Sure, she could learn so much, but that didn't seem like a good thing if she was going to lose everyone she loved. Not that her list of loved ones was overly long. She wasn't exactly overly friendly with people after all.

"At least you have a choice. Some of us had this tossed into our lap. Bottom line, you do have a target on your head, simply because of not only what you are now, but what you may become. "

"What may I become?" Her brows furrowed slightly at the whole thing. "I'm not sure I'd become much of anything. I'm actually rather just me." She laughed softly. "And, big target as in dead target?"

Damn. And just like that, it dawned upon him. The knowledge of that revaluation left him rather ...
    Annoyed. That was the expression he was giving her right then. "Then perhaps I should just save you the trouble and kill you so there will be no chance of you coming back as an Immortal?" Running his index finger along the side of his bottle.

"Well, you could. You could do a lot of things, Brehnic. If you think I'm going to think of myself as some kind of second coming, or something over woohoo wonderful, I won't. I'm me. I'm not saying I won't be something in the future, but I'm not going to be someone's golden child. Got it? You wanna train me, great. You wanna help me through this craziness, good. But, don't try to make me into some Buffy or Luke Skywalker - you will be greatly disappointed."

Her eyes narrowed, and while she might not be overly intimidating, she wasn't backing down from him. And, she refused to show him any emotion akin to fear. Not at the moment anyway.

Bemused. That was what he was now. Was she not listening to him at all? He simply spoke of a possible destiny of her being an Immortal, being able to utilize what she retained as a mortal to better help her adjust. Right then a decision was made. His stare meeting her own, his voice became deeper as he spoke ...

"Let us get something straight. I am not training you. I am making you aware of what may come your way because of what we are. A heads up. Do with what the information what you will. At least you won't go stumbling blindly. I'm not making you into anything. If this is to be who you are?" He'd shrug, before finishing off his beer. "Then we go our separate ways, and you can have Jere take you under his wing, to be trained."

Another breath taken before continuing ..."You have a woman that's showing too much interest in you because you are a pre-immie. I'm doing nothing more than hoping to keep you under the radar. " Motioning for another beer.

"Well, then, there you go. It'll all right itself out. I just don't like the whole 'savior' vibe I get sometimes from you. Then again, for all I know being one of the few newbs left, I could be something special. Brehnic, thanks for looking after me, I'm sure I'm something of a pill sometimes." Niks laughed softly then shrugged, setting in to finish the rest of her food. "And, I thought you did say you were going to train me...hmm, there goes that brilliant mind of mine."

"Evidently, after having this conversation with you, I don't have the patience to try." He smiled to himself, wondering if this was what he put Jere through. Now there's irony. Nope, he just wasn't the teacher type." This is what you do. Get in touch with Jere. It's obvious, I'm not the teacher/trainer type. " Looking down at the bottle, setting it down, before pulling out money to pay for the meal, once again becoming unusually quiet.

He was missing the madcap carefree life he had several months ago, prior to crossing paths with one Nova Giannini many months ago. The resulting things that happened to him since then, provided one Hell of a wake up call. It just took a pre-immie to put the final nail in that particular coffin.

"Something else on your mind, big guy?" Niks got the feeling something was coming, and she probably wasn't going to like it. Then again, that could simply be that they had to walk through the Red Light district back to their hotel and he had a strange way of leering without obviously leering as they passed some of those not so see through windows. "You know, you can leave me alone in the room if you...had plans or something." Well, why should he miss out?

Offering her no response, he escorted Niklas back to hotel. Once they reached the room, Brehnic would let her inside, before pressing the key into her hand. "Let no one in." Freeing up the dreadlocks from his ponytail, Brehnic had a look of pure business as he walked back downstairs ...