Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well my problem seems to be a bit different then yours but maybe we can put our heads together.

my problem was my belt would come off when i hit over 10psi of boost. i tried all the belts, except gates, then when i put the gates on instead of making it really tight, i made it loose with some slack, belt hasnt come off yet and i hit 10psi no problems. the gates i bought is from oreillys auto parts.

your pulleys could be off a bit.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well, I dont have any modifications to the pulley system since I took the crv pulley off and put the gsr crank pulley back on. But if I'm having trouble with the belt slipping now I wont even go to the crv pulley. But I didn't think of putting a gates belt on the blower. After I try the dayco, maybe I'll try the gates belt on the blower. Did you try all the same belts that I tried? Or was it just one or two of them. Let me know.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is my issue. I've looked on hostboard and honda-tech after looking here and didn't really find out anything to help me.

My set up is a 95 gsr with stock psi jrsc kit.

My issue being that about a month ago I tried to change to the crv pulley and noticed that the original bando belt for the blower, which had only about 3000 miles on it, was slightly worn out. It had cracks on the ribs but there were no missing sections of the ribs. So I decided that since I was changing the crank pulley I would change the blower belt as well. I put a gatorback belt for the blower and a gates belt for the crank to alternator. I was losing boost after 5500 rpm but then it would catch after 7000 rpm all the way to 8500 rpm. I then decided to put the gsr crank pulley back on. So I tried to tighten the belt as much as I could. Still losing boost at high rpm then catching at about 7000 rpm. Weird. The gates crank to alt belt is really tight and I dont want to tighten that anymore. And the blower belt is realllly tight, the adjustment bolt will go no more, and I'm still losing boost up in the same area as before. So I changed the gatorback belt from the blower to a kelly springfield belt. Still slipping. Adjustment bolt is to the max and its still slipping. I have now bought a dayco belt and I'm gonna change out the blower belt to this dayco belt and hope for the best. If all else fails, I will order the bando belt from jackson racing and hope that its just the belts that I have previously purchased.

These are my questions.

Is there a anyone here that has had this type of problem and noticed which belt would be best for me?

Could the gates crank to alternator belt ultimately be the one that is slipping?

Should I use a longer adjustment bolt? I had a friend who told me to just get a longer bolt to tighten a little more but I feel uncomfortable with that since the original bando belt never slipped and wasn't as tight as these belts have gotten.

Should I just call jackson racing and just order the bando belts they have and hope that it solves the problem?

And lastly, which of these belts should I not use on my set up? These are the belts I have currently used.

Gatorback belts- helicog rib design. little diagonal blocks of ribs instead of full solid ribs.Gatorback belt

Dayco belts- Polycog rib design. Little vertical blocks of ribs instead of full solid ribs. dayco belts

Kelly springfield belts- Regular solid ribbed belts

Gates belts- Regular solid ribbed belts

Thanks for all your help guys. Hopefully I can get something from wenlyone, sak, or any other jrsc users with this issue. Or if someone knows something special about the belts that I mentioned then that would also be great.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 28, 2005 12:31 PM: Message edited by: racerx159 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ive tried them all, ive fount that the gates worked the best, and the one from oreillys hasnt come off yet, but i dont go drag racing my car everywhere either so i could just not be pushing it as hard, but the other belts came off when i rev it at idle so i dunno what to make of it. thats weird that you would slip around 5k and catch back at 7k with the belts super tight. did you check your tensioner pulleys? they could be wearing out really bad and causing the belt to go in a angle or cocked to the side causing it to slip untill u hit high rpms and it corrects itself?

thats my theory and 2 cents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by racerx159:

My set up is a 95 gsr with stock psi jrsc kit.

Adjustment bolt is to the max and its still slipping.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You shouldn't have to tighten the belts all that much to prevent slippage, especially at stock boost. I run 9-10psi with the cheapest belt available (I think its Gates). Since I properly aligned the pulleys I haven't shredded a single belt, nor have I had to re-tighten it since August last year!

Every time I had slippage problems in the past it was caused by the top belt. You say the tensioner bolt is at its end, right? Did you actually check the belt tension? You should be able to stick your left hand between the charger and the firewall. Feel the belt between the SC and the alternator. In the middle, you should be able to deflect it about half an inch with your index finger. I bet you'll find its too loose. If so, either get a longer bolt, or a shorter belt!

The lower half of this page contains some info on aligning the pulleys, in case thats necessary:
    Stepper pulley woes

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

But I dont have a stepper pulley.

well, the first thing im gonna do is check the boost gauge for any type of leaks in the system from the intake manifold to the actual gauge itself. Funny thing is that when it slips I dont feel anything significant at the climb of boost. And jrcivic, the jrsc god, lol, told me I would definitely feel something and Im not. So first i'll check that and even go so far as to change the ferring of the npt fitting for the boost gauge. I will keep you guys informed. As for the belt being to loose or the wrong size. It's not, trust me. That damn thing was hard as hell to put on the pulley last week and it is super tight. Im gonna loosen the belt some so that it feels tight but not super tight since the "slipping" sounds were the same then.

After talking to jim, Im not leaning towards the belt as much. This being the reason. If the belt is yay tight and it slips at 5500-6000 rpm and I tighten the belt it should hold boost till a higher rpm and then slip, if its going to slip. But it slips at the same spot everytime, no change as to when and where, no matter how tight or loose it was. Just between 5500-6000 rpm up to 7000 then it catches to redline at 8500.

I am also now going to read the stepper pulley link you gave me, wish me luck. And I'll definitely keep everyone posted as to progress or digress, lol.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 29, 2005 03:23 PM: Message edited by: racerx159 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

btw, just read the stepper pulley article. That doesn't really apply to me since I dont have a stepper pulley. Much less an endyn stepper pulley. If I get any stepper pulley it'll be the mvm stepper pulley because alot of people have bought it and love it without any type of modification to their system. [img]wink.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 29, 2005 04:10 PM: Message edited by: racerx159 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I pointed you towards the article because it provides you with a solution for aligning the pulleys. The stock alternator pulley also has alignment issues in some cases.

But, as you say, you'd definitely feel actual loss of boost. Checking the gauge is a good idea!

Originally posted by racerx159:
    btw, just read the stepper pulley article. That doesn't really apply to me since I dont have a stepper pulley. Much less an endyn stepper pulley. If I get any stepper pulley it'll be the mvm stepper pulley because alot of people have bought it and love it without any type of modification to their system. [img]wink.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ March 29, 2005 04:10 PM: Message edited by: racerx159 ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well guys, just a little update. I've checked my gauge at both ends of the nylon tubing and there are no cracks or kinks. I started to get a little whine and thought it was the blower since I never had the whine. I used an auto stethoscope and pinpointed the noise to my lower tensioner pulley. Yes dc2nr, my pulley is making all types of racket thru the stethoscope. To the naked ear it sounds like a whine, but thru the stethoscope you can actually hear the bearings making all types of racket from that pulley. So I called jackson racing and they were nice enough to ship one out for me today, free of charge, since I bought the jrsc last year june and it hasn't even been a year. I should be receiving it by wed or thurs. I'll let you guys know if it resolves my "loosing boost and fluttering" issues.