Thread: JRSC Prelude, wheres the boost leak? (dyno included)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Hey guys, been a leech for a while now, and I think I've searched the hell out of this forum and I've come to realize there arent too many JRSC preludes here.

In hopes of finding another JRSC leech like myself, I need help finding a boost leak. I've already tried posting on www.preludeonline.com but the general trply was "nope, I dont hear that sound", and "check your vac hoses.

I've since then made it a point to zip tie all my hoses and retighten the manifold and TB bolts.

The sound is like a whistling/gargling noise that pulsates very quickly. I know it isn't the bypass valve because it whistles a whole seperate tone and doesnt pulsate.

The baseplate to blower gasket has been replaced, and the intake runners have never been removed. I've since then removed the AEM bypass valve (didnt want it to fall apart and destroy the blower). The noise is still there!

I've begun to snoop around the blower some more, and found something rather peculiar:
    P1010085
    P1010087

The "hole" seems a little bit too well cut to be a void in casting, you can even see some of the gasket under it. I tried plugging the hole with my finger as I revved the motor into boost, didnt feel anything, and still heard the whistle/gargle

Anybody with any good ideas? Sorry for the long post... but as a reward for reading, heres my dyno + setup [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

sae10 11
    P1010084

JRSC 6psi
    JR FMU
    JR EMS
    Tuned AFC
    AEM CAI
    DC CC Header
    MSD 6a
    walbro 255lph fuel pump
    Built motor (arias stock compression pistons, supertec oversized valves, H-beam rods, darton sleeve liners)

... theres more money dumped into this car here and there, but i'm a lil bit too lazy to list them [img]tongue.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ April 04, 2005 06:41 PM: Message edited by: lennlen ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 04, 2005 07:02 PM: Message edited by: lennlen ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

um dude u seem to be getting ahead of yourself and not making complete sense..

what EXACTLY is the problem you are having!?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

and how does it run?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by lennlen:
    In hopes of finding another JRSC leech like myself, I need help finding a boost leak. I've already tried posting on www.preludeonline.com but the general trply was "nope, I dont hear that sound", and "check your vac hoses.

The sound is like a whistling/gargling noise that pulsates very quickly. I know it isn't the bypass valve because it whistles a whole seperate tone and doesnt pulsate.

The baseplate to blower gasket has been replaced, and the intake runners have never been removed. I've since then removed the AEM bypass valve (didnt want it to fall apart and destroy the blower). The noise is still there!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yes... i quoted myself... make sense now? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    wanted to know what part of the blower i should be checking for the pulsating whistling noise, its not comming from any of the vac hoses, they've all been ziptied. Intake runners have never been removed, so its not the IM gasket.

I hoping to find another JRSC lude that may have had the same problem as I do now.

And the dyno was put there just for the hell of it... its not relative to the problem I am having.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 08, 2005 12:32 PM: Message edited by: lennlen ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

not a single hitch, gets stall-happy when its hot out, or when i get a littel bit heavy footed and the car isnt fully warmed up (traffic uphill etc. blame it on my crappy drivig skills... i know i shouldnt when the car is cold). The stalling thing is really annoying.

when i let out the clutch after going 3k rpm, the revs would just plummet and hit 0.

other then that, the lude runs well. part throttle is not so smooth, it hesitates/lags, and i get that pusating whistling noise. Part throttle at less than 3k and crossing into boost feels like i'm putting a lot of stress on the motor. However part throttle or WOT from 3k on is like a rocket.

The boost gauge reads 8psi, which is normal, my idle, depending on the weather, is between 19-17inHg, and usually after its warmed up, is a solid 20. Should I be worried about the vac pressure? I always read the vac. gauge as a sign of a motor's health... however, my vag gauge is Teed off with the FMU and the EGR, so I would think my Vac. should be about par.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Got rid of most of the hesitation with a new O2 sensor [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

I'll probably be removing the blower to get to the manifold, I'm guessing theres a leak in there somewhere...