Thread: Alright.. little tunning help a stock PSI D?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Okay so I've had my JRSC D16Z6 running for a couple months now. I'm using a JR Map Controller, and FMU. I've never put a fuel quage on to check the fuel pressure. I adjusted the timing by moving the distributor forward a little. Don't hear any pinging. I'm wondering if I would benefit any by getting a APR and gauge, and having it tuned by adjusting FP, and timing? Also would getting a VAFC and having it tuned be any better than a JR Map Controller? Would the gains be worth the cost?

Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Remember that fuel pressure and distributor changes are global in nature. Any increase or decrease in static fuel pressure will change the entire fuel map the corresponding direction. The distributor changes will do the same thing: increase or decrease overall timing at every point.

The MAP mod uses electronic trickery to minimize tip-in detonation and richen up the fuel delivery to allow slightly lower static fuel pressures as well as an additional pinch of mechanical distributor timing.

The bad news: Using the devices listed above... This is NOT tuning... it is merely finding a balance between safety and acceptable power loss. The VAFC will give you a very narrow resolution with respect to tuning... it will allow the fine tuning of about 24 total points... eight accross the rpm range at three different throttle positions.

Unless the devices you have mentioned were given to you for FREE... there is absolutely no reason to waste your hard earned money on them. Buy a quality engine management system like Hondata, AEM or E-Manage and TUNE your car. In the long run, although the cost is higher at first, you will save money and gain copious amounts of useable HP.

You have a distinct advantage today over the early JRSC owners from long ago like myself: A CHOICE. We used the best that was available to us at the time.

The fuel pressure adjustments and MAP mod are like the spear was in the time of the Caveman: A powerful tool and an immense tactical advantage over those who did not posess one. Fast-forward to present day... Fully programmable engine management is like an automatic submachine gun.

So, now I ask you: When it comes to defeating the evils known as DETONATION and PRE-IGNITION, would you prefer to chuck a spear at them and pray for a lucky strike or waste them in a hail-storm of bullets accurately tagreting their weaknesses ?!?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hahaha
    well said, well said.

Might I also add,
    fully programable engine management isn't even that expensive anymore. with tools such as uberdata, crome, turboedit, its very very cheap.
    as the software is free, and the hardware is only a couple hundred bucks TOTAL.

just gotta find a tuner that can use it.