Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just out of curiosity - besides needed custom engine mounts - how hard is it to put an H22 into a late model Civic - from an electrical and mechanical point of view ?Again - just curious -
    is it even feasible ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There are two companies that I know that make a "bolt-in kit" for the H22A into a 96+ Civic...Place Racing & HCP....as far as the wiring goes I dont think there is anything extra special to do compared to any other swap...and on the mechanical side...you will have to do some cutting to get the shifter linkage in there...but its not too bad...thats all I can think of off the top of my head right now

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry

I have been looking around the web at engine swap prices and I have noticed that the H22 goes for ALOT less the say a B18C5 and they make close to the same HP.
    The B18C5 start at about 4500 and I have seen them as high as 5500 for a complete swap - and the H22 start at about 2300.
    I am really curoius why the H22 isn't a more popular swap ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well first off as of right now there are not as many aftermarket parts available for the H22A...there are more every day but not as much as the B18C1/5 and to add to that there is no easy way to have power steering or A/C with that swap...that may change in the future but for now its custom...the second thing is the motor is a bit heavier than the B18C1/5...which offsets the cars weight ratio a little...you can make up for the difference with a carbon fiber hood...relocating the battery...etc..but again thats extra work to do...then you have to cut the car to get the shift linkage in...rather than just bolting it in with the other swaps...and last but not least these mount kits dont have a provision for a front mount so the motor is missing a mount and will be a little harder on the other mounts with could definately lead to failure(Im not saying that will happen but its more likely...so can you see why most people are still opting for a b18C over the H22A's

By the way Im getting ready to do mine soon!!!
    H22A POWER!!!!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks John - I appreciate your feedback !

Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lou,

The price for a B18C1 swap and a H22A swap in a 6G civic are almost identical...

Consider this:

A B18C1 swap costs about $3500.00
    A H22A swap is only about $2500.00... however, you also need to purchase a mount kit ($650.00), a shifter assembly ($100.00 for a used one), and custom left and right axles ($200.00 minimum for used ones).

As for the wiring...
    Assuming that you have an engine swap that is the same YEAR as your car, and your car is a 1.6L SOHC VTEC...
    You will have to add THREE wires to the engine harness to install a B18C1.
    The H22A will require a total harness recreation... and more than a dozen wires will need to be added... not to mention working out the distributor issues.

Lastly, as stated above... A/C and P/S are not an easy install. A/C requires the notching/channeling of both the driver's frame rail and the front crossmember AND moving the condenser forward. P/S is even worse for the frame rail obviously because the belt is closer to the fender.

Good luck.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Jim ...
    Yeah I can see why the H22 swap would be a real pain in the ass/wallet ... I guess I'll just keep dreaming about how nice it would be to have a B18C
    Thanks for all the advice ...
    Lou