Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proper way to bleed coolant system on b18c1?

Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Greg,

I cannot believe that you remembered that statement... you are the MAN !!!

hahaha

It is true... there is NO bleeder screw on any "B" series engine from '96 up. The best way to eliminate any air bubbles in one of these systems is to place the car with the radiator cap up very high... higher than the valve cover (this can be accomplished by jacking up the front of the car very high or parking the nose of the car up hill on a very steep incline). Place the temperature control knob on HOT (this opens the flapper door to the heater core), remove the radiator cap, and crank the car and allow it to idle. Over the next thirty minutes, watch closely as the fluid level changes just inside the neck of the radiator... EVERY time the fluid level drops below the inner lip (about 3/4" down from the top lip), add enough coolant to raise it just over this lip. As the coolant heats up and the air bubbles expand inside the system... some fluid will spill over the top of the neck. This is a good sign. Make sure the cooling fan kicks on at least TWO times before you complete the bleeding... this will ensure that the thermostat has a chance to POP open during the process. Once the fluid level seems to stabilize... and bubble emmissions slow to nearly a halt, then put the radiator cap back on. Allow a few minutes to pass and then, on level ground, adjust the level in the overflow resevoir.

Your coolant system should now be in good shape.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm.

My 97 doesn't enther but the helms manual clearly shows it. It may be only the 94-95 models. Anyway, its never been an issue. I do the same thing you do, park it facing up a hill and fill it [img]wink.gif[/img]

Mike

Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When it comes to PCD issues... rational thinking does not apply. You have to have a "bean counter" mentality.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You know, it's funny, but I've drained my cooling system many times, sometimes even removing the radiator, and I've never had a problem with air bubbles.

Go figure...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12