Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What are people's opinions on the energy suspension motor mount inserts? I am probably going to do them to help control the wheel hop and whatnot when I install the supercharger.

IS there a reason NOT to do these?

Obviously brand new motor mounts would be best, but I do not have $300-400 to devote to them.

Inactive Member grand600intercooled's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

they are fine. they will help with wheelhop but they might not cure it completly. My Si has horrible wheel hop and I have all 3 inserts installed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

I have tried the inserts and honestly they were not really that great. I could not even tell they were in. I just installed the front two torque mounts from: HTTP://WWW.JIMFAB.COM they were awesome. They do vibrate quite a bit. But you get used to it. 110% better shifting and acceleration.

Also they are about the same price as new mounts or the inserts.

Good Luck [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Teggie - the ES mounts, for the $$$ and effort involved, are a good modification. The pain in the ass with our JRSC cars is the rear mount, which is really tough to change. There is minimal added vibration, which is quite harmless.

I like those Jimfab mounts but there's a point to which the car goes from modified street to track harshness with that kind of part. I guess it depends on how hard core you want to get...

And yes, the ES mounts help, but not cure, the wheelhop. Shifting inproves, and the motor doesn't move a foot inside the engine bay [img]smile.gif[/img]

Chuck

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 12, 2003 04:44 PM: Message edited by: 96IntegraRS ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think you should definately get the ES motor mounts. I have all 3 in my GSR, and I really like the way the shifting feels. Wheel hop is definately reduced in my car. Doing this modification while you're installing your blower is a great idea too, since the rear one will be much easier to install when you have your manifold off.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

any other opinions on the jimfab mounts? Any other users?

Also, could you combine the jim fab fronts, with the rear energy suspension insert? Or would that be insanely rough?

I never knew shifting and 60's would be improved with mounts, but I guess it makes sense. Less movement = better for everything in the car.

I guess I could install the ES first, see how I like them, and I could always add the jimfab/other front motor mounts later if I want to go hardcore.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 12, 2003 06:25 PM: Message edited by: gsrteggie ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There are a whole bunch of pros to the inserts and only one con. However, the one con was enough for me to never buy them again for a daily driver: the vibrations. It shook so bad in my civic it was almost embarassing when somone got in my car. Almost everyone thought something was wrong with the car. It shook so bad it caused the Alpine to skip all the time. They are a great bang for the buck mod if you don't mind the vibrations.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have all three inserts in and don't have any significant vibration issues. They didn't cure the wheel hop I was getting with street tires, but running drag radials with the inserts at the track I have no wheel hop (I never tried the DRs without the inserts though). I think tires are a big factor for wheel hop. So go ahead and put the inserts in, they're cheap, they won't hurt, they will help overall, and do it when you have a reason to get access to the rear mount. I had mine installed when the clutch/flywhel/differential were changed.