Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What do you think? Read for yourself: http://c-speedracing.com/bbs/Forum5/HTML/000299.html

C speedbanner

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

that "crush" guy has been trolling the honda/acura Usenet groups for years. apparently has nothing better to do with his time, so he picks through honda performance specs and finds any model that does anything worse than a domestic model, then combines all the worst characteristics of various honda cars to argue that domestics are better. Comparing Civic DX to mustang GT, etc. And he misinterprets all the numbers. Basically a complete idiot; I've already wasted about a minute and 25 seconds just acknowledging this post.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

I love how he completely throws out an important part of the "speed equation." Gear ratios.

Drive a Civic Si and DX around town for a day, and I guarantee you the Si feels more "peppy" than its non-VTEC breathren. Of course, it is still a gutless 1.6L engine, and not fast at low RPMs by ANYONE's standards, but its more lively than other cars in the line-up.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You know if you stand back for a second (as a NON - VTEC lover [heh]), and look at it from the joe-shmoe on the street who just drives a car he is ABSOLUTELY correct in his assesment of VTEC. Albeit he is tipping the scales a bit with his use of the 1.6L vs. the 1.8L (a little more torque) or even a 2.0L or 2.2L.

But then if you look at his argument from the points he is making and the other cars he is comparing it too the guy is a complete idiot. First off he says for around town driving the 1.6L = no torque = not so good for quick stop and go (correct). BUT then he turns right around and starts to compare it too a mustang. I mean COME ON if you are going to appeal to Joe Schmoe then lets talk plain jane cars. Say a VTEC accord 2.2L vs. a Chevy lumina/Ford tauras.

I mean the entire background for his argument is comparing too "performance" cars to each other. Granted a Civic SI is not the best performing car out there but if you are on a budget or going to compare equally prices cars between manufacturers like he did (mustang vs. civic) then the cars are going to appeal to "the grease monkeys"/performance minded/REV HAPPY as he mentioned in the beginning of the article.

Bottom line is if you don't like driving fast and JUST do around town (basic transportation) driving the Civic SI is not for you. Get a LS like he said and you will be fine. My guess though is that if you are someone who really cares about 0-60 and 1/4 miles times then you aren't going to be the type of person who is NOT going to like to wind out the gears on a regular basis.

Personally my Prelude has a very nice amount of torque down low (at sea level [heh]). BUT I still VTEC it a LOT. Anyway enough ranting on my lunch break...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think this guy is an idiot. Some of the stuff he states is correct, but he is way out there on other aspects. I'll race him in my "Civic SI" with about 180 HP and and 140 lb-ft of torque using and "SI Vtec Head," and a CRV block and see what he has to say about that. I know it's not the same 1.6L, but he was dogging Vtec in general. I'll tear his little mustang "V8" a new one. Believe that. Another thing "that guy" never even mentioned was INSURANCE. I know you will agree with me on this one. The mustang gt by insurance standards is considered a performance vehicle because of it's hp and tq figures. You gotta pay for that. The civic is still considered an economy sport compact. Insurance is considerably cheaper for the civic. Anyway I'll stop there before I end up sounding like "that guy."

------------------
    1999 Civic Si (Black)
    CR-Vtec
    Enough Said