Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone want a manifold for an M62 on a D16?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm with Jaker on this subject. I too am interested in the M62 on the D, and for the same reason - reduction of charge temp in the summer. My built D with the M45 shows a dramatic difference in acceleration on a hot summer day vs. a crisp fall day. Not to mention the level of "activity" on the J&S display.

However, I also respect JRCivic's opinion. I was not aware that the LS kit used a M45 blower. I thought all B-series motors used the M62. Hmmmm. Point considered. You may or may not remember that I used to post here a couple years ago, but since I don't have an integra, or a supercharged B-series, I drifted away...

Could you further elaborate on how octane rating (pump gas) is directly related to inlet PSI (or CFM)? I was a bit confused by your response. I have always understood that octane rating was "resistance to detonation" and relating specifically to a supercharger application, charge temperature being the detonation "trigger", not the pressure...

-TJ

Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can clarify a bit...

I am not suggesting that more CFM will make more or less detonation... what I am saying is that "X" CFM will create "Y" boost pressure within your intake system... and the "Y" value is merely a ballpark representation of where one should (or could) make comparisons from. There are too many variables to consider to make a PSI comparison from one car to another viable... intake manifold chamber volume, air temperature, blower speed, cam lift and duration, cam phasing, engine displacement, exhaust size, filter efficiency, and valve size are just a few of them.

I have tested cars with water injection and the LHT intercooler system... in both cases, I made a dyno pull with systems active and observed the IAT and WHP/Torque values. I then disabled both systems and made an immediate back-to-back pull (I know this tosses in another variable because the blower heatsoak and head/block temperatures will be increased, but I did it to help illustrate my point)... the results were staggering !!! Not only did the cars make IAT temperatures that were anywhere from 45 to 75 degrees F hotter, the WHP/Torque values were almost unchanged... and in one case, actually increased.

As for the possibility of better performance because of lower blower speeds... don't get your hopes up. Ambient air temperature is the main factor in making power... the Delta change in air temp is fairly constant within our blowers at a given blower speed. This means that your car will run better on a 50'F day that it will on a 95'F day... and within that day, your car will run the very best just shortly after you start it up for the first time... and performance will slowly degrade as the drive time increases... due to the internal heat created and stored in the various aluminum/steel components within the engine itself.

Intercooling and water injection seem to increase the threshold of detonation... and thus, one can increase blower speed (CFM or PSI) a bit before detonation control becomes a problem.

I hope this helps...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12