Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When do you stop using synthetic oil?? (never?)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Now My ZC when I first got it had about 50 000 KM (22 000 miles) and had regualr 5w30 in it after my first oil change I desided to treat it a little better than my other 2 engines ( who were burning oil and had over 200 000km on the clock (120 000 miles) one thing that I noticed was that about 2 weeks after I replaced the oil with syntethic I developed a small leak. I attributed this to the detergents in the syntetic cleaning out sludge in the engine.

one thing that I have noticed about Syntetic is that it stays cleaner longer... this can only be a good thing.

Oh yeah my leak turned out to be a leaking drain bolt.

An other thing I must point out. My ZC was probably in a warehouse for about 4-5 years before it was sold with the original oil in it... when the valve cover was removed when it first arrived at the shop it was pretty disgusting, crusted and gooed up, some had black gunk buildup.

last month when I went to get my valves adjusted all that gunk was gone... not if this was just the fact the engine was running or the syntetic... who knows... but as long as I can afford it Castrol Syntec 5-50 is going in my engine.

K-Drum

------------------
    1990 Civic H/B *wrecked & being parted out*
    ZC Powered 90 CRX SI With Mods
    I/H/C/E
    +

-----------
    planned
    -----------
    - Rims (15")
    - Turbo

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, my 88 has 167,000 on it and has never used synthetic and seems to run just fine. I change it every 2500 to 3000 miles and use a 10w-30 oil. It does burn oil more than other cars, but not too much, about 1/2 quart bewtween changes, maybe a little more.

Adam

------------------
    When you see the lights and hear the sirens, head for the nearest road with the most turns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12