Thread: Something interesting on my tranny...input?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was cleaning the tranny on the B16 the other day, it's the Y1. This tranny is LSD equipped, which I thought could only be has as an option. now... on the tranny housing, top, on the flat surface that bolts to the motor, is a small stamp in the aluminum. it says "LSD". why would it be stamped on the tranny if the unit is a option? they told me it was hard to tell if a tranny was LSD equipped when I was looking for one...they'd have to actually spin the axles to tell...blah blah blah....well, it's right on the damn housing! smile

------------------
    PERFORMANCE REFINISHING, Inc.
    Home to all your High Peformance Honda needs!

visit us at http://www.pri-racing.com

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yeah..that's pretty common. the way i know to tell if it's LSD is if you can look all the way through it when you have the axles out..if it's blocked, then it's open....clear view all the way to the other side is LSD. Honda did stamp the trannys, but alot of not-so-honest shops like to stamp an open LSD tranny with the 'LSD'..can't rely on the stamp...but i don't understand. why *wouldn't* it be stamped on the tranny even if it is an option only item? my dad's special order truck has the gear ratio's stamped into the axle even though it's an option only item.

how does the tranny look? synchros look bad at all? i'm getting mine rebuilt just to be safe...costing me a ton, but i can't stand ANY grinding of any sort in a tranny..just makes that 'something's wrong' thought go off in my head. does yours look worn at all vince?
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by gotatight92si (edited January 22, 2002).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I talked to my mechanic about this - he worked for Honda for 20 years in Aust and Japan and owned both the 4G SiR and 4G SiR II.

SiR (I) was non ALB and non-LSD. SiR II was ALB and LSD. The LSD casing was stamped as the option was a factory option. You ordered the car, they then built the car with the ALB and LSD (you also got a leather steering wheel thrown in). SiR I were available from the showroom apparently, SiR II had to be ordered.

Similarly, the stripped, race edition was LSD only - no ALB, no power anything. Again, it had to be ordered and built to spec. My guess - the LSD stamp was there to let mechanics know when the cars were serviced.

There were one or two other options that could be ordered - NC_Rex has covered them in his JDM SiR section. The only one missing from there is the option of push button, servo controlled air-conditioning controls such as the EDM spec SiRs (and Moppies) or full push button climate control which is what I have (small temp dial recessed behind a flip top hatch).

------------------
    '90 JDM EF9 SiR

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hmmm...so this is the SiRII motor/tranny that I most likely have?

as for the gears...it's hard to say. everything looks good so far, won't know til I get it all in and running smile

------------------
    PERFORMANCE REFINISHING, Inc.
    Home to all your High Peformance Honda needs!

visit us at http://www.pri-racing.com

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's an optional thing, but the tranny has a different casing with the LSD. But you'll also find aftermarket ones in there jsut as many times as you'll find the stock ones. There's truth in this. I've got a spare Y1 casing with LSD stamp in my sched if anyone if interested in the casing or the LSD.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

*sigh* I'd be interested in the LSD. Pity I'm on the other side of the world frown

------------------
    '90 JDM EF9 SiR

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NC_Rex:
    I've got a spare Y1 casing with LSD stamp in my sched if anyone if interested in the casing or the LSD.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd love an LSD, but would it fit in the stock si tranny??

------------------
    '89 Civic Si - Custom Turbo Project in the works

'89 Prelude 2.0si - Daily driver

[This message has been edited by TurboSi (edited January 29, 2002).]