Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was thinking of getting some Dynamat or similar product to try and eliminate some of the outside road noises. I just want to see if anyone else has tried this and is it very effective?
    It looks like it could be very time consuming depending on how much you want to cover so I want to find out if it's worth it. I've heard of people doing the entire floor, firewalls, doors, trunk & trunk lid....etc.
    One other route I might look into is getting a company that does that spray-in bedliner material that they usually do in trucks. Maybe have them do the trunk area to protect against all the moisture build up I get in there.
    I don't think my trunk leaks....I just get an awful lot of condensation on the trunk lid and I think it drips from there. When I did that trunk release install and pulled the carpet back I saw.... [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img]
    RUST
    [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    in the fenderwell area.
    So once I get that taken care of I think that spray-in stuff might keep it from ever coming back.
    Anyone have suggestions on how to get rid of the rust or where to take it to for treatment?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

dynamat is pretty damn expensive! i hear it works pretty well but along with buying the dynamat alone...it'll cost another arm and a leg to get it put on by a professional. The spray on stuff you were talking about can be easily done by yourself. If you are VERY serious about doing it, i'll go and look up the product that you need. Its comes in an aroesol can and works pretty well. The HUGE advantage of going with this rout is the ease of just pointing and shooting. Leaves a clean instal versus dynamat being all funky lookin. You do, however, need to tape off areas you dont want overspray on. I'd look into getting some seram wrap(sp) just cuzz it might stick to things itself.

but like i said, if you're VERY serious, i can get into a little more detail on how to get it done. Assuming that you have all the areas you want to be sprayed; open, cleaned, and possibly lightly scuffed, it shouldn't take more than 2 hrs to get it done. Flash times are somewhere between 5-15 min. depending on how many layers have been put on.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You should get ahold of or talk with Thomas, he did pretty much eveything in the cab with it. He could probably talk you through it. I remember talking with him when he was doing it, he cut up his hands pretty good, so watch out when doing it.

Geo
    President
    Team Sol of Washington

banner38qx

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really want to take care of the rust that is going on in the trunk area. Can that stuff be used right over the rust or does it have to be removed first? I want this car to last for many years and seeing rust is freakin me out. If that stuff will take care of it then I'm all for it.
    As an added benefit I think it will also help to deaden road noise like the dynamat would.
    I did a little reading up on the dynamat and how to install it....I think it's something I could do myself but it looks very time consuming.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ya....so far it looks like it is just surface rust. I will definately look into that first then. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would definitely take care of the rust first before applying the dynomat as you will be "holding" the water under it, speeding up the rusting out of the metal.
    If it is rusted through you only have one choice and that is to replace the section where it's at. If it's surface rust only, there are rust treatments products that can take care of that like Metalprep 79 which stops it, I've used that product with good results, you can get it at places that sell body paint supplies.

Geo
    President
    Team Sol of Washington

banner38qx

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes i did do the entire cab and soon i plan on doing the trunk and also the underside of the hood. It did it mainly for the subs i have but havnt really noticed if it affects road noise that much...i did slice my finger on one of the panels because the shiny foil part is pretty sharp...if you do decide to use dynamat, you will have to keep track where all the holes are for screws and such for all the plastic peices for the interior...and like they all say, it will cost around 150 bucks for enough dynamat for the enterior. Check the link below for pics...

Dynamat discussion with pics

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 04, 2007 01:30 AM: Message edited by: yokohamatyre ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looks nice. If I go through with it I'll make sure I wear some kind of gloves or tape my fingers up [img]wink.gif[/img]
    Now I have taken the seats out a couple times and the rear storage bins and all that but I have never tried to remove the carpeting. Is there a good process for removing it and does it all go back in the same or will it have issues if you remove it?
    I'm starting to think maybe a mix of that spray in stuff and dynamat might work better than just one or the other alone. Do the spray in stuff on all the floor/horizontal areas and dynamat on all the doors/vertical areas.

Inactive Member 95 del sol washington's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

from what i hear dynamat is kinda heavy. not sure for myself tho.

also i know of something that removes rust.
    you can find it at a hardware store. it's called naval jelly. no joke good stuff. something to look into.
    i used it on my rear axle before painting it. but that was some time ago.