Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Solo just bought a 93 Del Sol Si. Clean Newer paint Blue with everything stock except intake.

I don't know much about tuning, so seeking some advice.

I've test drived a couple of 93 Si before. The "modded" ones seem to have better clutch, more power, and faster.

And the one that I have, I get the feeling that the clutch is hurting the power and i'm driving at high RPMs for acceleration between gears. And it's really not that fast.

So my question is:

- Does Racing Clutch put better use to the engine?
    - Does bigger rims mean you can go faster?
    - Does Exhaust and Intake play a big role in speed and power?
    - My Si doesn't say VTEC on it, or any engine specs on it. Am I getting the 125HP in the Si as stated by Honda?
    - What else can I do to increase performance and speed without hurting the car in the long run?

I apologize, but I get all these opinions from my friends about tuning and they are very contradicting sometimes.

Some professional advice and input would be great.

Thanks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well to maybe help answer some of the questions. Putting an aftermarket clutch in a car will basically hold more power that you can put to the ground generated by the engine. If your goin to go with extreme modding as in turbo, nitrous, supercharging, or just goin highly tuned naturally aspirated then I would say get a better aftermarket clutch like a stage II or III. If you goin to go with just some basic or mild mods then I would probably just stay away from those high gripping clutchs. They can hold alot of power but at the cost of comfort. About the rims, personally I was into the big rims 17 and so forth but to be honest after reading more about them I am really on to go as high as possibly a 17 but if you want to go more performance than looks I would go with a 15 or a 16 in rim. They give the best performance in terms of steering feel and road handling capability without generating alot of heat in the tire. Toward the account of how the exhaust and intake can help with speed and power. an intake and an exhaust system work together really wouldn't add one without the other you can if you like but really if you getting more freed up air in without letting it get out just as free as it came in then you just wasting money. They do though infact free up horsepower because of the engine being able to breath alot easier. you can take this to an even higher lever by adding an entire new intake system as well as a set of exhaust headers. But for a simple answer they will give you more power and will help in getting toward high speeds and better acceleration. Not drastic but there will be noticable changes. While I can't speak much for saying if your getting the whole 125hp out of your engine without taking it to a dyno though geo would be better at answering that. Just as well suspension and gearing play a crucial part in performance of the vehicle and if your goin that way brakes will do a great deal of keeping things in check when you get to having some fun. Geo can give you the best answers, hope this gave some light. see you at the next meet.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Most what he said is true. I have stayed with 14" wheels because of less rotating mass requires less power to turn. Intake and exhaust is same, less resistance is better for the motor. Recommendations on performance and speed, is what do you want the car to do. Handle better in corners, you should invest in struts and springs. More acceleration, you should do something like a cam shaft. I may recall that what specks for si, is to be 125hp, but there is about or around 18 to 20% loss of power through powertrain and resistances. (power steering, AC, high electrical demand) I may be wrong on the %'s. Having the car on a dyno will show your power to the ground. Hope to be helpful.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Let's take it from each question.

1: Clutch, I would go with a Stage 2 at the most, the reason is d trans have a problem with the front trans bearing going out if you put to hard/grabbing clutch in.

2: Rims, larger means slower performance due to the larger rolling mass/heavier wheel and tires. Max size to go to is 15 inch if your going to different wheels for best performance/gas milage.

3: Exhaust/Intake (cold air), will make some power gains, but not a whole lot, maybe 15hp with both. On the exhaust just putting on a stock DOHC VTEC one would give give the best for street driving, if you go to big, like 2 1/4-2 1/2 inch one you will "feel" a big loss in torque at the bottom end. On a header, just get one that uses O-Ring sealing like stock, the gasket type ones seem to go/blow out around every six months.

4: Valve cover doesn't state "VTEC" on it, is it the 125hp motor? First look at the front of the engine block for "D16" and also a solenoid behind the distributor, if you have that you have a SOHC VTEC motor.

5: What else can I do? Maybe a Skunk2 Intake manifold, longer runners then stock for more bottom end torque and the above things (header, intake and exhaust). Tune up (what every is needed: plugs, wires, cap and rotor (NOTE: don't change everything out if it looks good or the engine is running fine, just check them to make sure they are working properly)) and fluid changes to engine (if needed, this includes oil, filter and antifreeze) and trans. All these for the best street performance and gas milage.

NOTE: Don't try to do everything all at once, start with the fluids and tune up first, then go from there inspecting the overall condition of everything (suspension, tires, etc.). Hope that give you a start on this.

Geo
    President
    Team Sol of Washington

banner38qx

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by SoloT:
    Solo just bought a 93 Del Sol Si. Clean Newer paint Blue with everything stock except intake.

I don't know much about tuning, so seeking some advice.

I've test drived a couple of 93 Si before. The "modded" ones seem to have better clutch, more power, and faster.

And the one that I have, I get the feeling that the clutch is hurting the power and i'm driving at high RPMs for acceleration between gears. And it's really not that fast.

So my question is:

- Does Racing Clutch put better use to the engine?
    - Does bigger rims mean you can go faster?
    - Does Exhaust and Intake play a big role in speed and power?
    - My Si doesn't say VTEC on it, or any engine specs on it. Am I getting the 125HP in the Si as stated by Honda?
    - What else can I do to increase performance and speed without hurting the car in the long run?

I apologize, but I get all these opinions from my friends about tuning and they are very contradicting sometimes.

Some professional advice and input would be great.

Thanks.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Whoo do you have a lot to learn my friend. Wlcome to the club! And please post pics of the car or you'll be BANNED(no no just kidding)!

The 93 Si's didn't say VTEC on the valve cover. All they had was a Honda Badge in the middle. As Geo mentioned, look for the engine code wich is on the front side of the motor(the way facing towards the front bumper) and should say D16Z6 to be exact.

Stock clutches generally in my opinion dont grab or catch suffecient enough even on a bone stock motor. Upgrading the clutch always helps you take advantage of all the power your motor has to offer. But Do remember that the more aggressive you go, the more comfort you will be sacrificing. They get harder to push in, clutch travel is reduced making it tricky to get use to, and will be a nightmare in traffic so be warned. But lets face it, how serious are you about the car in terms of performance? I wouldn't bother upgrading the clutch unless you REALLY want to have fun with the car, not to just look cool.

Larger rims will help you obtain a higher speed i believe but in a honda, i'd rather not go any faster than 120mph. And MAYBE even that. The main reason why you see larger rims on true sports cars is cause 1: they usually have larger brakes which requires more clearance 2: they need more rotating mass to keep traction to the ground. 3: and for looks of corse

Exhaust and intake on our single cams...geez...Honestly i wouldn't even bother doing it if you plan on staying naturally aspirated unless you get into some internal work. Bolt ons on the single cams yield VERY little gains versus the dollars you'd have to spend to obtain it. There are always different options for more power...but i dont wanna throw any ideas out there till you've done some more research.

And honestly, in most cases, its the driving style and consistantcy that kills motors faster than "modified" ones. You could have a bone stock motor but if you redline it through every gear everytime you come from a stop, i'm sure you could imagine it not lasting too long. There are ways to build your motor appropriately, driving it conservatively, and spiritively(is this a word lol?) on occasion that could last just about as long as a granny driven stock motor. Taking the proper care and maintainence is key when moddifying ANY vehicle.

Go visit:

www.d-series.org
    www.homemadeturbo.com
    www.automotivetech.org
    www.honda-tech.com
    etc...

read all the sticky threads and then come back with more specific questions.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 03, 2007 01:07 AM: Message edited by: pLaYbOi ]</font>