Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How many horses can a person expect to get out of the Sol series without getting TOO crazy (technically getting horses into, not out of)? Si 127 stock, shouldn't be too hard to get 180 I wouldn't think. I'd be content with 180.

What recomendations do ya'll have for first step upgrades? Brands? Models? I've made enough of my own mistakes in the past, it is time to start taking advise. Especially considering that I am TOTALLY new to this and I'd imagine that ya'll have some GREAT advise.

Inactive Member BiffStroganoffsky's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can get really crazy numbers but it would require an H22 transplant. You can bump your D16 block's number with a turbo. That's the cheapest and safest way. If you want 180 or more, you are better off starting with a DOHC block. It will be more reliable and probably cheaper than the D build.

What kind of numbers depends on how much you want to spend.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes a turbo on a d16 would put you into the 180's or more. For 180 out of the box a ITR will do that. The right K block will push it over that. Were talking wheel HP here, not at the crank.
    What it comes down to how much your willing to spend along with how much work/maintance you want along the way. Myself now likes the N/A rather then boosted, been there, done that in my younger years, it gets old real fast. Just warning you ahead of time if you plan on boosting it (I've seen what happens when others have not done the maintance even though they stated it's not anymore bother then on a N/A motor), just how you want to spend your weekends.

Geo
    President
    Team Sol of Washington

banner38qx

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On this board...with a broad question like that...you're going to get a LOT of diff answers. I personally believe that Turbo D motors are good up to about 250whp. A b series swap would probably be overkill for you since you're only lookin for 180whp. $2k will get you that number on a turbo'd D safely and properly with no major problems provided that the person that tuned your motor, did it right, and you keep on top of regular maintenence.

your BIGGEST problem is the automatic transmission. i wouldn't reccomend doing anything more than minor bolt ons with a factory automatic tranny.