Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by A.Oster:
    I see it two ways and so I am divided on the subject.

Supercharger= loos of power due to being belt fed, or wimpy power from being electric.

Turbo= more maintanance and adjustments

Superchargers= $1000
    Turbo set up= $1000+

It woiuld appear getting a DOHC would have been a better way to go to start (i.e more inate power), but at the price of a swap ($1500+/=) you can trick out your SOHC. Its a fine line to my knowledge, and will run $1500+/- either way.

Anyone care to back me up or put me back in my place?
    [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm no expert, but I am in the same boat.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Alex it's going to depend on your end goal as to which is best for you. Lets put it this way:

N/A=dependable, basically no every weekend working on it, just normal oil changes every 3 months or 3000 miles, plugs every six months 6000 miles: clean and re-gap as neccessary (12-15,000 max then change for max gas milage and power on copper type plugs), check plug wires, cap and rotor at least one a year, better to do it every six months. Check battery cables, fluid levels and tire pressure at least once a week, (especially in the winter months).

Super Charger=dependable with some weekends work (more just general stuff: oil changes, check plugs every 2500-3000 miles max, the rest as above. Full dyno for max power.

Turbo=more power, but with weekend work, oil changes (once a month depending on miles put on (1000-1500 max would be my thoughts), plugs check because of colder plugs, necessary each week, change as neccessary (probably end up replacing at 4000-6000 miles for max power) and check that it's not running lean, checking oil lines for leakage, all the rest above (wires, cap and rotor) to make sure everythings runnning right, plus taking it in for a full dyno-tune every six months to once a year for max power ($$).

Swap=N/A, dependable, bigger engine=more power plus the maintance of a stock engine because your using stock parts. The rest the same as N/A above.

That should give some basic maintance facts for you. For a finally choice that would just depends how you want to spend your weekends, driving for fun or in the garage at least part of one day a week on it (3-4 hours probably max) if you turbo'ed it (sure you don't have to do all this, but how long is it going to last?).

Geo
    President
    Team Sol of Washington

banner38qx

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes I could go b16 or b18c or hell even b18a/b and all of these would result in more power.
    I have been looking at the jackson racing site and i can see that a stock sohc z6 at around 150whp on the 6lb pulley. Isn't this is in the gsr range?
    I have decided though to swap for the d15b sohc vtec motor.It has advantages of being newer then my current z6, so i dont have to rebuild and that it would complement a charger better. This is around 500 for the complete swap. I dont need the complete swap so i can sell what i dont need. Add 1k for the charger kit and thats cheaper then I can get a dohc swap for... Unless I want a (((HOT))) setup.
    There are a few factors that keep me grounded from going the BIG horse DOHC turbo set up.
    First look on NWSR and search for the name of a guy I know named MATTCIVIC and read about his teg that he just got built. 1 year,15k, 411whp, 280+trq and he blew it up the second day he had it.
    Second I have myself, 2 kids and a gf to take care of. I have to think of what i can do to gain drivin pleasure for my (alone time) but also think about the others I need to support thus keeping it simple and cheaper.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I thought we were comparing D-series w/ turbro against a NA B series motor. With a B series motor running NA, you dont have to worry about the turbo or supercharger blowing up your engine or causing wear on weak D-Series axels and such. Basically forced induction increases the wear and tear on many major parts in the car and that is why they dont last long. Where as with a straight swap for a better engine, it is still stock. We arent telling you to swap to B Series and then boost it, just swap to B Series and you got something faster and more reliable than a D series turbo. Also boosting to 411WHP and 280 torque is just plain dump if you dont know what you are doing...

-t-

Originally posted by 93sidelsolvtec:
    Yes I could go b16 or b18c or hell even b18a/b and all of these would result in more power.
    I have been looking at the jackson racing site and i can see that a stock sohc z6 at around 150whp on the 6lb pulley. Isn't this is in the gsr range?
    I have decided though to swap for the d15b sohc vtec motor.It has advantages of being newer then my current z6, so i dont have to rebuild and that it would complement a charger better. This is around 500 for the complete swap. I dont need the complete swap so i can sell what i dont need. Add 1k for the charger kit and thats cheaper then I can get a dohc swap for... Unless I want a (((HOT))) setup.
    There are a few factors that keep me grounded from going the BIG horse DOHC turbo set up.
    First look on NWSR and search for the name of a guy I know named MATTCIVIC and read about his teg that he just got built. 1 year,15k, 411whp, 280+trq and he blew it up the second day he had it.
    Second I have myself, 2 kids and a gf to take care of. I have to think of what i can do to gain drivin pleasure for my (alone time) but also think about the others I need to support thus keeping it simple and cheaper.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by 93sidelsolvtec:
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">With doing that you end up with the same as a B16 hp range (B18 GSR is just a few horses more then a B16, so for me it would be a B18C5 or a K20 to best what I now have, you did see my dyno numbers right?) with all the extra maintance. Like I stated above it's going to depend what you want to end up with and the time and money involved to keep it up there. For me with having to do emissions N/A is the answer, don't have to go get it de-tuned to pass them.

But don't let what I said stop you from doing it, a d16 with a Super charger does sound wild, I've heard them in person.

Geo
    President
    Team Sol of Washington

banner38qx

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 01, 2006 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Geo 94 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I LOVE THE EAST SIDE ... no emissions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12